Military Surplus Wool Sweaters And Fleeces?

For non-MRE, non-ration topics
crunchie

Military Surplus Wool Sweaters And Fleeces?

Post by crunchie » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:46 pm

Hello,

I figured that folks here would know about this topic because of their interest in MREs.

Are there any good wool surplus sweaters that folks here have tried out and can recommend? Wool seems to be disappearing from modern surplus and I was wondering if anyone here had any good surplus wool sweater or fleece buys that they could recommend.

I recall seeing ages ago the heavy Austrian sweater that looked like Dachstein wool with a shawl collar and the Norwegian sweater with thumb loops. Does anyone know if there was ever a military wool sweater/fleece with a zip up front?

A lot of the civilian wool sweaters I am seeing are made in China or seem shoddy or are made of reprocessed wool...had one and it was as itchy as anything.

crunchie

Treesuit

Re: Military Surplus Wool Sweaters And Fleeces?

Post by Treesuit » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:15 pm

Crunchie,

Back when I was in the US Marines, the famous Wooly Pully sweater was very good. It was all wool and looked sharp too. Though it was a bit heavy and we never liked getting dressed up in it for formal inspections. You can still find them nowadays if you do a google search. Now I'm not even sure what happened to mine. :| There pretty reasonably priced at around $24.99 and up.

Cracker
eBay name: tedtielemans

Post by Cracker » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:07 am

they are still being produced for the military in europe.. so as the acryl variants..
They are easy to get..
Sure, someone may one day kill me with my own gun.
But they'll have to beat me to death with it because it's empty.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

housil

Post by housil » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:52 am

Fleece is "nice", but to me fleece is either too warm or you are freezing. There is nothing between (and all our winter liners are fleece made and we have to wear them daily)

I could highly recommand the German Army pullover, made from 80% wool:

This is the most famous pullover all over at all authoreties. Even we had them in red :mrgreen: before "they" desided we must wear fleece...

I prefer that Bundeswehr pullover than an Army 5 button pulloverI have too.

Treesuit

Post by Treesuit » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:40 pm

Oh yeah, I totally forgot the Army 5 button sweater. That one is warm too but lighter and I think they make most nowadays of Acrylic, :x . You don't see them much often now that the Army has totally gone to polar fleece an GORTEX.