Meal Combat Individual: CAKE Taste Test

Reviews of other US rations - MCW, LRP, MCI, FSR, etc.
mreheater72

Post by mreheater72 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:22 pm

Hi guys,

here is the third “Cake-Taste-Test” aspirant, an “Orange Nut Roll” packed March 21 1978 (21038) by EUNICE KING’S KITCHEN, INC, SHERMAN TEXAS 75090.

When I opened the can (bottom side!) with the “sand paper method”, the lid was pushed to inside of the can (sorry, I forgot to make a photo, I will do it next time). The vacuum in the can was there, even after 29 years :D .

In my opinion the appearance was ok, but I haven’t unfortunately seen an “Orange Nut Roll” in fresh condition :( ! The smell of orange was very distinctive. First I broke off a piece and chew it. The taste as very, very bitter :( !! Then I ate a piece without almond and orange peel pieces, here the taste was good. :) So it’s clear, the cake mixture alone is ok, only the hard items like nuts and fruits are not edible!

Here are the photos:

This photo shows the very good condition of the inside of the empty “Orange Nut Roll” can.

Next weekend I will taste the “Pound Cake”.

So long mreheater72

bl00k
eBay name: bl00k

Post by bl00k » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:24 pm

mreheater72 wrote: So it’s clear, the cake mixture alone is ok, only the hard items like nuts and fruits are not edible!

[...]

Cool, a Pound Cake is nothing but cake right? So that should taste alright then :)

norge

strange

Post by norge » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:21 pm

the mci pound cake looks more edible than a 1980s nut cake
the citric acid conserve the food so it should be good :?
maybe i should buy a mci kit and eat the hole thing just to test
the worst thing that could happen is just a camp jalla stomac
and a call in the big white phone :lol: :lol:
cheers norge

mreheater72

Post by mreheater72 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:21 am

bl00k wrote:
mreheater72 wrote: So it’s clear, the cake mixture alone is ok, only the hard items like nuts and fruits are not edible!

[...]

Cool, a Pound Cake is nothing but cake right? So that should taste alright then :)
I hope so! We’ll see it next week!

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:04 pm

Great review, mreheater72. I have the web page for it up now:

http://www.mreinfo.com/reviews/mci/oran ... -1978.html

mreheater72

Post by mreheater72 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:25 pm

Hi guys,

today the fourth “Cake-Taste-Test” aspirant, an “Pound Cake” baked by EUNICE KING’S KITCHEN, INC, SHERMAN TEXAS 75090

packed on February, 23 1978 (23028):

When I opened the can with the “sand paper method”, the lid was pushed to inside of the can. The vacuum in the can was there, even after 29 years:

Here the bottom side of the Pound Cake wrapped in paper:

Here you can see the can after removing the cake:

Now the photos of the Pound Cake! Conceive your own opinion. My buddy and me ate a quart of it, the taste was excellent an we are still alive, at long last a cake which is edible :D :D :D !!

Here the wrapper made of paper:

Here is the empty “Pound Cake” can after washing it with water, very good condition:

Next week I will show the last of the series, the “Fruit Cake”

So long mreheater72

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:31 pm

Great review - and finally! - something you could eat that didn't taste rancid. :-)

C-rats

Post by C-rats » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:27 pm

God those were good! The pound cakes were my favorite when I was in the service. Most GIs would beg, borrow, cheat, or steal to get a C ration that had a pound cake in it. My favorite combination was a pound cake along with a can of peaches. Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.! :P

Glad to here the one you opened was still good after all these years. It gives me incouragement on the 3 cans I have squirreled away at the bottom of my collection. :D

Nice job on cleaning up that can as well mreheater --- you can even see your reflection in the bottom of the can!
Everything tastes better with Tabasco

mreheater72

Post by mreheater72 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:11 pm

C-rats wrote: Nice job on cleaning up that can as well mreheater --- you can even see your reflection in the bottom of the can!
That`s right C-Rats, I haven`t noticed that before :o !

How old are the Pound Cakes, which are in your collection?

I have never eaten a "Pound Cake" and "Peaches" in "fresh" condition :( , but even the 29 years old cake was pretty good :D !

So long mreheater 72

mreheater72

Post by mreheater72 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:56 am

Hi guys,

here is the fifth and also the last “MCI-Cake-Taste-Test” aspirant, a “Fruit Cake” packed May 2 1978 (02058) by EUNICE KING’S KITCHEN, INC, SHERMAN TEXAS 75090.

I opened the can (bottom side!) with the “sand paper method”, the lid was pushed to inside of the can. The vacuum in the can was there, even after 29 years .

The appearance wasn’t ok, all fruit and nut pieces had changed their colour from “normal” to black during the years :cry: ! The smell of fruit was there, but not really “attractive”! I decided not to taste because of the unappetizing appearance :cry: !

Here are the photos:

Here is a close up of the fruit pieces:

The next two photos show that even the moisture of fruit was still in the can:

The Fruit Cake was the one with the worst condition of all five aspirants :( !

I hope that the “MCI-Cake-Taste-Test” was a little bit interesting for you!?

But it is deplorable, that even the MCI-cakes are not edible anymore :cry: ! I think the only chance of an edible MCI entree is the storage over all the years by a temperature of +2°C! But no one did that!

In the next weeks I will show how I open and refill the MCI-cans!

So long mreheater72