Information about MRE pizza

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
gschultz9

Re: Information about MRE pizza

Post by gschultz9 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:42 pm

So I'm reading this post and suddenly I'm getting very hungry and having a hankering for some Ellio's frozen pizza! I'm guessing that that is the closest proximity to what MRE pizza is going to taste like. Steve, I know you've had the Norwegian one, correct? Would you say it's similar to Ellio's?

I'll have to look at the other thread that Treesuit mentioned. I thought one of the problems that had kept this from becoming a reality for so long was the fact that they couldn't figure out a way to keep the "crust" (bread) from getting soggy from the sauce while sitting in the retort pouch?

Treesuit

Post by Treesuit » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:27 pm

Yeah, I remember that conversation too. The thing is, even though the packages are foil lined and have a desiccant packet they still trap moisture. I had a 2015 blueberry turnover the other day and soon as I took it out, there was a little bit of goopy-ness and some damp bread to be seen, so it is possible.

Not to mention the cheese portion of the pizza still has to be factored in, as cheese is something you do not want to mess with when it goes bad. Freeze dried cheese might be an alternative as it does not contain the water part. Though I'm at a loss if this would affect taste and texture after being in a retort pouch for so long.

The only thing I can figure that might help is vacuum sealing the pouches with no air inside but still make it like a pizza pocket or a FSR sandwich.

steve1989
eBay name: -

Post by steve1989 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:28 pm

gschultz9 wrote:So I'm reading this post and suddenly I'm getting very hungry and having a hankering for some Ellio's frozen pizza! I'm guessing that that is the closest proximity to what MRE pizza is going to taste like. Steve, I know you've had the Norwegian one, correct? Would you say it's similar to Ellio's?

I'll have to look at the other thread that Treesuit mentioned. I thought one of the problems that had kept this from becoming a reality for so long was the fact that they couldn't figure out a way to keep the "crust" (bread) from getting soggy from the sauce while sitting in the retort pouch?
I would have to try Elio's pizza sometime as I've never had it before.
That MRE pizza was a trip - it woulda been much better with real meat and not soy meat. Perhaps it was for storage/cost reasons.

gschultz9

Post by gschultz9 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:41 pm

steve1989 wrote: That MRE pizza was a trip - it woulda been much better with real meat and not soy meat. Perhaps it was for storage/cost reasons.
I forgot that it had soy "meat"! What a waste of something we've been waiting so long for. Simply crazy. I hope our government will step up and at least put some cheap pepperoni on the stuff they offer to our troops!

I've been a fan of Ellio's pizza since I was a kid. It's certainly nothing special (and thus why I'm expecting the MRE pizza to be very similar in taste), and mostly a favorite because of the nostalgia I feel for it. It's frozen and can be tricky to cook. If it's a little under- or over-cooked it's terrible, but if you get it just right...yum!