MRE Question

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
jfko6
eBay name: jfk9

MRE Question

Post by jfko6 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:02 pm

If you had the opportunity to redesign or augment the MRE that is currently being issued to our soldiers how would you improve it?

You can in the process considered variables to weather, climate, terrain, logistics etc...

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

-JFK
The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country
American Legion Legionnaire

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:57 pm

I think they already do a pretty good job of switching around menu components so I won't say that - even though the first thought that comes to mind is "get rid this entree, or bring back that entree". That sort of menu shuffle will work itself out eventually.

Tops on my list would be:

1. Bring back Tobasco to every menu. Everything tastes better with Tobasco sauce.

2. Put coffee in every menu. The current Tasters Choice is fine.

3. Also put instant tea in every menu - the instant tea with whitener like the British have is great. This is more like the stuff you'd make hot tea with.

Those are my initial thoughts...I'll have to peruse the 2007 menus ( http://www.mreinfo.com/us/mre/menu-xxvii-2007.html ) to see what else I'd like to see changed.

jfko6

Choices

Post by jfko6 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:01 pm

Yes, I have ideas I'll share as this topic develops.

Tea is an excellent choice as I find myself grabbing my own.
Honey like the Canadians have might be slightly better
than sugar. Teas would be great.
The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country

BigMark

Post by BigMark » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:18 am

I'd like to see more spice packets added, specific to the dish. Dunno if you could have fake parmesan added or something, but that'd be nice in any red sauce dishes.

Treesuit

Post by Treesuit » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:23 am

Well, I think this thread has been tried before so this time maybe we can put a spin on things.
1. Maybe put some sweetned condensed milk in the MRE. Just like Spain and the Aussies do. The tube is practically indestructible and provides a bit of enjoyment to tea, cocoa, or coffee since were going that way.
2. Also think about putting a small loaf of fresh bread like the Spanish do in there field extended ration pack. Something other than that hardtack bread they had in the early 90's. :x
Other than that....not much else.

bishopmarine

Post by bishopmarine » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:01 pm

i agree with kman. i think the mre is pretty much spot on for a military ration designed for short term use. i would love to see the bbq pork with rice come back and i liked the ham slice. ditch the omelet. maybe try some type of real steak mre and try to retort a baked potato. hot sauce in every mre. maybe even put in a couple of other brands of hot sauce as mentioned in other threads. a couple of ounces more on the entrees would be good. and of course a small bottle of fighting cock bourbon. (for medicinal purposes only)
Attachments
Wall_4_800x600.jpg
"Do not attack the First Marine Division. Leave the yellowlegs alone. Strike the American Army."
Orders given to Communist troops in the Korean War;
shortly afterward, the Marines were ordered
to not wear their khaki leggings.

BigMark

Post by BigMark » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:44 pm

I'd like to second the bourbon, make mine Maker's Mark though, I love that stuff.. probably a little too much, but I only drink it once or twice a year.. I just get tore down when I do.

C-rats

Post by C-rats » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:17 pm

Everyone's got good ideas here ---- especially the added hot sauce and spices.

I would also suggest adding the following:

1) Add a second FRH to each MRE.

2) Manufacture the MRE bag with a "ziplock" feature.

3) Include a tooth pick and some type of disposable tooth brush in each accessory pouch.

4) Include a large, heavy-duty "Wet Nap" and a small packet of gelled alcohol type hand sanitizer in each accessory pouch.

5) I know this would be a hard sell, but I would also include in every MRE one of the First Strike Ration type "pocket" sandwiches, and a packet of Zapple. Everyone knows that before going on patrol GIs "break" their MREs down in to the necessary basic eats and shit-can the rest so that what food components they do take with them can be carried more easily than a full MRE bag. This has been done since time started, and IT IS a natural process for the GI. The "In the Rear with the Gear" people need to accept this as a bone-hard fact, and need to fund the additional costs as required. So what if some of the food goes to waste ---- it does now anyway. We need to give the War Fighter all the options we can to maximize his/her performance, as well as the best quality we have to offer.

Besides, when was the last time we heard this as a complaint: `The food is great, but there's too much of it`? :|

Dang, I'm hungry just talking about all this! Let's eat!! :D
Everything tastes better with Tabasco

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:55 pm

C-rats, I think you have some of the best suggestions so far. I've heard they're working on a ziplock feature - either for the MRE bag itself or for the entree pouches. It would be nice if you could reseal the pouch to finish the food later.

If they didn't want to add a second FRH, how about making the current FRH a little bit bigger so you could more easily fit in more stuff?

In the now-discontinued Wornick Eversafes, they included one of those "Oral-B Brush-ups" which was like a toothbrush-sort-of-thing you slide on your finger to clean your teeth. That would be cool to include but I just search around for them and it looks like they've been discontinued.

jfko6

MRE Overhaul

Post by jfko6 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:36 pm

Great Suggestions!!!

I agree that cost will always be an issue. Here are some more suggestions building on previous postings.

Personal Hygiene

Oral Care
Ok. There are great tools out there that can meet these needs. Some of the best I've found include hydrogen peroxide two swabs and mouth moisturizer. This is a slightly larger one time, one use kit. Smaller ones are produced. However, the peroxide does a great job breaking off plaque from the teeth.
The swab also makes a good tongue cleaner. The ones I use is Sage No. 6013. http://www.sageproducts.com/products/oralcare.cfm

Skin Care
Alot can be said about this topic. But Playtex makes single use packets of their useful "Wet Ones" moist wipe. They are larger more sturdy handy wipes and don't dry out as quickly.
http://www.playtexproducts.com/wetones/index.asp

In the field cleanliness is important therefore Purell has designed a bottle which has "low-infrared reflective properties during night (NVG) operations" (see image) http://www.gojo.com/product/product.asp?productid=550

Toiletries
The most obvious item I believe needs tweaking is to upgrade the Kleenex tissues they call toilet paper and move up to something that will clean the bodies orifice well and help prevent food contamination. Playtex makes some in their Wet Ones product line (haven't tried those). But the best one so far I've tried is the Cottonelle Fresh flushable moist wipes
http://www.cottonelle.com/. Magellan's catalog and Brigade quartermaster has similar products. Hooah rags are also available. But you want to make sure those are flushable items and designed for YOU as flushable moist wipes.

Food Storage Systems
I believe great progress is being made in food storage science. Something I have not tried but appears useful for a variety of items is a resealable bag that is meant for a variety of uses including food. Watchful Eye Designs has a resealable bags in their ALOKSAK and OP SAK (odor proof barrier bag) product lines. http://www.watchfuleyedesigns.com/index ... oductid=23

Tea
Tea is starting to be integrated into current MRE's.

For more information, or to place an order visit http://www.drugstore.com

In the spirit of MRE development keep those fresh ideas coming!
Attachments
9624-CAN00_300ppi.jpg
Purell Military Hand Sanitizer
Last edited by jfko6 on Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country