1991 Tuna with Noodles MRE Review

Reviews and taste-tests of any MREs from 1981-present
SentientTootsieRoll

1991 Tuna with Noodles MRE Review

Post by SentientTootsieRoll » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:51 pm

Hello! It's been a bit since I've had an MRE and I figured it was about time I dig into my stash of dark brown bag MREs. I ended up grabbing a Tuna with Noodles MRE. When I bought this batch of MREs, I had a 1994 Tuna with Noodles MRE that was actually still good! I'm a bit disappointed in myself for not reviewing it. I decided I was going to review this one for sure.

The MRE prior to opening:
20171216_130238.jpg
All contents laid out:
20171216_130417.jpg
It has:
- Tuna with Noodles
- Chocolate Nut Cake
- Crackers
- Cheese Spread
- Orange Beverage Base Powder
- Tabasco Sauce
- Brown MRE Spoon
- Accessory Packet A containing:
-- Taster's Choice Coffee
-- Domino Sugar
-- National Brands non-diary Creamer
-- wet-nap
-- Iodized Salt
-- Toilet Paper
-- Matches
-- Gum

Pictures of the accessory packet, front and back:
20171216_130821.jpg
20171216_130843.jpg
Since this MRE was manufactured before they put the flameless ration heaters in them, I had to take some rather drastic, high-tech measures to heat it up! Said drastic, high-tech measures involved the use of a a pot, water and a heating element:
20171216_130530.jpg
:P

I decided to throw in the cake as well, because it too came in a retort pouch and I've seen other people do it, so it couldn't hurt. Besides, I don't think I've ever tried to heat up an MRE cake before.

While that was going, I decided to get the coffee and orange drink together:
20171216_131004.jpg
20171216_131052.jpg
And for those who are curious about the retort pouches looked like:
20171216_131335.jpg
The meal in almost its entirety:
20171216_131458.jpg
Well, despite my luck with this meal last time, this one didn't last. It smelled off when I opened the pouch and it tasted okay when I took my first bite but then that nasty sour taste coated my mouth. Pass. While I have no way to prove it, I remain certain that the cake would have still broken up into pieces if I hadn't boiled it in hot water. I've had a few of these old MRE cakes break into pieces upon getting them out of the retort pouch. It still tasted great, though. The crackers were, well, they're just like any ol' crackers you'd expect in an MRE. Unfortunately, they're not the really good crackers that MREs had in the 1980s. The cheese spread did not make it. It was very odd and discolored when I poured it out. I have a picture of it but in an attempt to keep those with a weak stomach from becoming disappointed in me, I decided not to include it in this review.

The orange drink was amazing as was the coffee. They came in great use after I had to wash the insurmountable tuna with noodles down.

That concludes this review, I guess I'll have to go hunt something else down for lunch but that's okay. It's not like I had my hopes up that high. ;) If you've had this MRE before, feel free to share your experiences. Thanks for reading!

Nix

Re: 1991 Tuna with Noodles MRE Review

Post by Nix » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:36 pm

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Nice try!

WorkmanMRE

Post by WorkmanMRE » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:52 pm

Those Brownbags look cool! Nice review and pics! I've got to try one! Cheers!
Cheers,
WorkmanMRE

and
Animal Free MRE
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC39Adn ... subscriber
-----------------------------------------------------------

Stevenglennn

Post by Stevenglennn » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:23 am

Love the Beverage powder in a Mason jar, kind of looks like moonshine to me. I've had brand new MRE cakes break upon opening, well actually muffins not cakes but they do love to crumble. It is a shame the tuna and noodles did not survive. The dish actually look delicious. Thanks for sharing.

Steve
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

― Henry Ford