Napoleonic MRE

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
Lemony88

Napoleonic MRE

Post by Lemony88 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:23 am

Napoleon was the first one, as i know, Who put MRE to the test. Do any of you have som info on what kind of food was first introduced to that MRE?

WorkmanMRE

Re: Napoleonic MRE

Post by WorkmanMRE » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:27 pm

This is all I could find! Cool idea though, I will look further, got me curious! Im almost thinking Sailors of the past had a few good MREs up there selves, like salted beef and pickled veg.

"Napoleon was surprisingly negligent about feeding his army.

His orders for the Grande Armée's rations were ample enough: "Soup, boiled beef, a roasted joint and some vegetables; no dessert." But bad roads and poor weather often prevented supply wagons from reaching campsites in time." End Quote
Cheers,
WorkmanMRE

and
Animal Free MRE
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC39Adn ... subscriber
-----------------------------------------------------------

mp43sniper

Post by mp43sniper » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:29 pm

Lemony88

Post by Lemony88 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:00 pm

WorkmanMRE wrote:This is all I could find! Cool idea though, I will look further, got me curious! Im almost thinking Sailors of the past had a few good MREs up there selves, like salted beef and pickled veg.

"Napoleon was surprisingly negligent about feeding his army.

His orders for the Grande Armée's rations were ample enough: "Soup, boiled beef, a roasted joint and some vegetables; no dessert." But bad roads and poor weather often prevented supply wagons from reaching campsites in time." End Quote
Thanks :) im new to this site, but i´ve always been interested to history and thought about it alot and thought some had some idea :)

Mattm199

Post by Mattm199 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:40 pm

I always remember the elegantly named Portable Soup:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_soup
The precursor of the bouillon cube that’s still in some international packs, sometimes called “soup or gravy base”.

LaSwede
eBay name: LaGaurdian

Post by LaSwede » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:13 pm

Thanks for the read! Also quite interested in history, acutually finished a 1 year archeology class last spring. But to graduate as a archelologist, involved me being away from my family for 3 x 2 months, and couldn't cope with that.. but learned alot about the human history and how society has evolved :)
Have access to several different Swedish rations.

Looking for:
Italian, Canadian, Spanish, Japanese and any from south america.

BTemple
eBay name: btem9257

Post by BTemple » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:50 pm

LaSwede wrote:Thanks for the read! Also quite interested in history, acutually finished a 1 year archeology class last spring. But to graduate as a archelologist, involved me being away from my family for 3 x 2 months, and couldn't cope with that.. but learned alot about the human history and how society has evolved :)
My brother is a professional Archaeologist and has been now for almost 20 years... it's a fascinating field of study. I helped him with an assessment project once near our hometown.
In the immortal words of President Harrison Ford, Air Force One: Peace is not the absence of war... it is the presence of justice.

LaSwede
eBay name: LaGaurdian

Post by LaSwede » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:53 pm

BTemple wrote:
LaSwede wrote:Thanks for the read! Also quite interested in history, acutually finished a 1 year archeology class last spring. But to graduate as a archelologist, involved me being away from my family for 3 x 2 months, and couldn't cope with that.. but learned alot about the human history and how society has evolved :)
My brother is a professional Archaeologist and has been now for almost 20 years... it's a fascinating field of study. I helped him with an assessment project once near our hometown.
Wow that's really cool! Did you find anything interesting during the excavation? I presume it was the kind of excavation that is done before a new area is developed? :)
Have access to several different Swedish rations.

Looking for:
Italian, Canadian, Spanish, Japanese and any from south america.

BTemple
eBay name: btem9257

Post by BTemple » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:06 pm

LaSwede wrote:
BTemple wrote:
Wow that's really cool! Did you find anything interesting during the excavation? I presume it was the kind of excavation that is done before a new area is developed? :)
No we didn't find anything that day. And yeah it was because of a new housing development. We have to do that a lot here, all the various native groups that have lived here, especially the Beothuk, who only lived in Newfoundland and disappeared in the 1800's. Also 500 years of European settlement in the area too.

He has found a lot of interesting stuff over the years... and has run a number of his own digs.
In the immortal words of President Harrison Ford, Air Force One: Peace is not the absence of war... it is the presence of justice.