SPAM

Reviews of Civilian MREs (Sure-Pak, aPack, etc.) as well as other civilian ready-to-eat food
Westview
eBay name: robichj

Re: SPAM

Post by Westview » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:04 pm

I love Spam! Been eating it since i was a little kid back in the 60's. Makes a great sandwich thinly sliced on toast, with some mayo and a slice of tomato. Can't eat too much of it now though, there's enough salt in it to kill someone if they ate it every day lol

I really liked the old school cans of Spam, the ones that you open with the little metal key you insert into the tab on the side and then wind around the entire can. Exactly like the ones you'll find on the old C ration cans.

Apocalypse

Post by Apocalypse » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:57 am

Two words (or is it one?): Box Cars!

http://davescooking.com/spam-boxcars/
-------------------------------------
Offence cannot be given, only taken.

Rand

Post by Rand » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:17 pm

Spam masubi is a beautiful thing
Going to try and work my way through other countries before coming home and trying US MREs.
Tried so far : Lithuanian menu 10,5. Russian Emercom 24hr.French,UK, Canada, Germany

SpanishInquisition

Post by SpanishInquisition » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:18 pm

Has anyone tried the Teriyaki, Chorizo, or Portuguese Sausage flavors. Those look interesting, but they aren't on store shelves locally.

alohakid
eBay name: admirals72

Post by alohakid » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:26 pm

SpanishInquisition wrote:Has anyone tried the Teriyaki, Chorizo, or Portuguese Sausage flavors. Those look interesting, but they aren't on store shelves locally.
SpanishInquisition - Are you in the US? If so, you can find a variety of spam flavors at Walmart.

mahao

SpanishInquisition

Post by SpanishInquisition » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:38 pm

I am, indeed, but the flavors I mentioned don't show up at the local Wallyworld.

alohakid
eBay name: admirals72

Post by alohakid » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:50 pm

SpanishInquisition wrote:I am, indeed, but the flavors I mentioned don't show up at the local Wallyworld.
Check Walmart.com... they have all the variants on their website:

https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=spam&cat_id=0

mahalo

SpanishInquisition

Post by SpanishInquisition » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:53 pm

I'll take a look. Thanks.

SugarLord

Post by SugarLord » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:34 pm

I can recommend using finely cubed Spam (original flavour) as an alternate to minced beef in a Ragu.

Just use garlic and chopped onions, fresh tomatoes and a little red wine, then toss in fried spam and simmer for about an hour. Maybe some basil and tarragon too with a bayleaf if the mood takes. You just have to remember not to add any salt!

Lovely with crusty bread or spaghetti or on some home made hardtack crackers (actually this is best).

I must get some more cans.We do not get as many flavours over here in England as you seem to in the States. Plus Ça change....

Biobrew

Post by Biobrew » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 pm

SpanishInquisition wrote:Has anyone tried the Teriyaki, Chorizo, or Portuguese Sausage flavors. Those look interesting, but they aren't on store shelves locally.
They sell the teriyaki and chorizo here in New Jersey. I haven't tried the chorizo (but I think I'm adding it to the shopping cart this weekend). The teriyaki was just *meh*.