Why did the site go down?

Feedback, comments, and suggestions for the website
sdrozza

Why did the site go down?

Post by sdrozza » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:24 pm

It appears the site went down for a couple of hours. Anyone know why?
"I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine." - Ayn Rand

kman
Site Admin

Re: Why did the site go down?

Post by kman » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:44 pm

It was a billing issue with the service provider - the credit card didn't get updated in time. Oops. :-). All good now.

sdrozza

Post by sdrozza » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:49 pm

No worries Kman :)
"I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine." - Ayn Rand

alohakid
eBay name: admirals72

Post by alohakid » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:00 pm

In actuality, housil shut down the site as he was tired of me asking him so many damn questions... he need to take an uninterrupted nap... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

mahalo

housil

Post by housil » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:08 pm

alohakid wrote:In actuality, housil shut down the site as he was tired of me asking him so many damn questions... he need to take an uninterrupted nap... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

mahalo
Don´t worry. I´m a paramedic and can sleep all day at work... :P

Dekard

Post by Dekard » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:32 pm

it was the eclipse.

SentientTootsieRoll

Post by SentientTootsieRoll » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:35 pm

Good, glad to hear it wasn't something like a corrupted database. It would be a bitter moment if all data was lost. I'll try not to think about that much more because I'll start having nightmares. ;)

Kman,

I'm just curious, when I was trying to reach the site this morning, I tried pinging it and happened to notice that "mreinfo.com" and "www.mreinfo.com" had two different IP addresses assigned to them from different providers (Dreamhost and Linode, respectively).

Are you paying Dreamhost separately just to redirect "mreinfo.com" to "www.mreinfo.com"? If so, I'm sure you could edit your /etc/apache2/sites-available/000-default.conf (or wherever your httpd config file resides) to include the following lines:

Code: Select all

ServerName: www.mreinfo.com
ServerAlias: mreinfo.com
and Apache will do it on the one Linode server automatically. You could probably switch those around if your httpd config file differs.

If your reasoning differs from what I'm assuming, I'm interested in hearing it just for the sake of my own curiosity. :)

sourwes
eBay name: sourwes

Post by sourwes » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:03 pm

Site was down for minimal issues, corrrected by kmam within 24hrs...thx everyone for your understanding....
it is what it is....