2014 fudge brownie with strawberry banana icing

Post your favorite tips, tricks, recipes.
BlackDogBob

2014 fudge brownie with strawberry banana icing

Post by BlackDogBob » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:57 pm

Big thanks to Gundog for his recent video on MRE icing!

This morning at the show I bought 2 cases (A and B) of 2014 MREs. Around lunch I got a little hungry and decided to try the Chicken with Vegetables and Noodles in Sauce. I was going to do a review on it, but the main was so good that before I realized what was happening it was gone.

Anyway, the point of the post is that when I ate the TFF Fudge Brownie, it was pretty dry. So I took a strawberry banana shake and made icing to spread on top and HOLY WOW BATMAN! That thing was great!

So, thanks to Gundog for your recent video brother. If I hadn't watched that, I wouldn't have thought to make icing, and would have just thrown the brownie away.

Great job on the vids and please keep them coming!
Have German,Russian,Canadian,Lithuanian,Dutch, Israeli,Spanish,HDRs,LRPs,French,US RCWs,FSRs,Italian,Croatian, Polish,Aussie, Czech, Malaysian, Swedish, Australian and Norwegian Arctics.

kwiklot

Re: 2014 fudge brownie with strawberry banana icing

Post by kwiklot » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:34 pm

dang mine didnt come with a shake, or is this a mix and match?

BlackDogBob

Post by BlackDogBob » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:38 pm

kwiklot wrote:dang mine didnt come with a shake, or is this a mix and match?
Sorry. I should have clarified. The shake was out of an FSR I opened last weekend. Sorry brother. No, that menu MRE does not come with a shake. It came with that nasty grape kool-aid drink.
Have German,Russian,Canadian,Lithuanian,Dutch, Israeli,Spanish,HDRs,LRPs,French,US RCWs,FSRs,Italian,Croatian, Polish,Aussie, Czech, Malaysian, Swedish, Australian and Norwegian Arctics.

parafireboy
eBay name: parafireboy

Post by parafireboy » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:15 pm

That's a great idea about that drink mix making a great icing for the brownie! I'm going to have to give that a shot. I've heard of using the old cocoa powder, but wow, I'll bet that strawberry banana one is so much better!

kwiklot

Post by kwiklot » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:03 pm

Yeah parafireboy I agree that icing is a great idea when I reviewed mine the TFF brownie was very dry I'm sure it would bring it to life. Quick thinking bob for a sec I thought I got gyped lol

BlackDogBob

Post by BlackDogBob » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:22 pm

Parafireboy, if you get a chance to try it, I promise you won't be disappointed. The strawberry banana shake, for me, is always a pleasant surprise when I open an MRE. It completely changed the way the brownie tastes.

Kwiklot, I have a tendency to open a bunch of MREs and disperse them throughout my kit. I have a separate pouch that is attached to my pack just for drink mixes. To I always have a few at hand.

steve1989
eBay name: -

Post by steve1989 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:04 am

I have done the icing with Dairy Shakes before too! Here is a pic of one I did a couple years ago - oh boy did it turn out well! Top it on a Vanilla Pound Cake and you've got yourself some gourmet field dessert. :mrgreen:
Attachments
DSCN1984.JPG
DSCN1987.JPG
DSCN1988.JPG
DSCN1991.JPG

steve1989
eBay name: -

Post by steve1989 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:08 am

BUT I cannot say the same for the pudding - it is still OKAY but not nearly as good as your idea of icing from Dairy Shake base. Still not bad.. and can change things up nonetheless. Texture just is more airy and whipped - could be nice for some I can imagine. Heck, I ate it anyway.. have certainly had worse. ;)
Attachments
DSCN2107.JPG
DSCN2104.JPG
DSCN2102.JPG
DSCN2101.JPG

Name_not_found

Post by Name_not_found » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:57 am

The pudding works well for fillings i have found.

Ration Reviews: USA, Australia, Canada, Japan, Italy, Germany, France, China, Spain, Russia, Lithuania
Wish List: Rations from anywhere I haven't reviewed yet!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnlQPi ... kQXu87uUCA

kwiklot

Post by kwiklot » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:01 am

Steve it looks like more of a topping than a icing lol the pudding looks more like a icing ugh these pics are making me hungry. there is something wrong with me lol