Hungry mans Lunchbox from MajorSurplus.com UPDATED

Reviews of Civilian MREs (Sure-Pak, aPack, etc.) as well as other civilian ready-to-eat food
elandil

Hungry mans Lunchbox from MajorSurplus.com UPDATED

Post by elandil » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:35 pm

thanks to a deal I worked out with a friend of mine, I picked up one of these Hungry Mans Lunchboxes to review from a recent sale at MajorSurplus.

https://www.majorsurplus.com/hungry-man ... h-box.html

It came with the following contents:
1-10oz Biner Mug
1-Esbit style cookstove with tabs
1-NATO Chow kit
1-MRE Entree-Beef Taco Filling
1-MRE Entree-Turkey Chili with Beans
1-Bridgford Shelf Stable Sandwich-Pepperoni
1-Maple Muffin Top
1-Chocolate Chip Cookie
1-Millennium Bar-Lemon
1-Millennium Bar-Cherry
3-Chocolate Animal Crackers
6-4oz USCG Approved Purified Drinking water packets
1-50cal Ammo Can-Surplus

Unfortunately, none of my pics turned out correct, so all I have on this one is the video reviews.

Heres Part 1

And Now Part 2.

As a grab and go type thing, it's not bad. Not perfect, but not bad.

As a way to help move items that are slow movers, it's a great marketing idea. But again, it could use some refinement.

Personally, as much as I like the NATO chow set, I would have rather it been left out of this one. Instead, give me 2 civillian accessory packs with spoon, coffee, sugar, and creamer, and it would have worked out much better.

Thats another thing. They included 6 packets of water, but no beverage mixes like coffee, tea, or cocoa. I've got a mug, a stove, and water....Heck even bullion packets would have been nice.

Honestly, In a survival situation, I could see splitting this into 2 or 3 days easy. Except for the water. 24oz of water isn't much, and while I'll agree it's better than nothing, a couple of steri-tabs and a collapsible canteen would have worked so much better.

All in all, more plus's than Minus's.
Last edited by elandil on Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

rattattoo

Re: Hungry mans Lunchbox from MajorSurplus.com

Post by rattattoo » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:59 pm

All of your complaints aside, this is an absolutely fabulous DIY and a great idea for a gift for anybody who has our addiction to mil-spec foods...Or as a gag-gift for any of those of our friends who want to poke fun at our hobby.
There is not a one of us who couldn't run off a couple of these in a five minute visit out to the garage, and with an almost inevitably better choice of contents.

I will certainly be looking for a couple of more old ammunition boxes at the Spring yard sales with this idea in mind.

elandil

Re: Hungry mans Lunchbox from MajorSurplus.com UPDATED

Post by elandil » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:30 am

updated with the second video.

Norton

Post by Norton » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:11 pm

Re: Hungry mans Lunchbox from MajorSurplus.com

All of your complaints aside, this is an absolutely fabulous DIY and a great idea for a gift for anybody who has our addiction to mil-spec foods...Or as a gag-gift for any of those of our friends who want to poke fun at our hobby.
There is not a one of us who couldn't run off a couple of these in a five minute visit out to the garage, and with an almost inevitably better choice of contents.

I will certainly be looking for a couple of more old ammunition boxes at the Spring yard sales with this idea in mind.

Just a side note. We had a party for a cousin of mine that returned from USMC Boot Camp. He brought me a MRE as a gift as I had written him about therm.
We opened it up and my extended family, friends and neighbors examined it like children at Christmas asking my cousin questions about the contents. Veterans reminiscing about C and K rations I opened a 1980's era brown bag MRE to compare. The people at the party were fascinated and I heard one person ask is that what they ate in Desert Storm? The young Marine asked what is Desert Storm?

rabidwolf

Post by rabidwolf » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:34 pm

Norton wrote:Re: Hungry mans Lunchbox from MajorSurplus.com

The people at the party were fascinated and I heard one person ask is that what they ate in Desert Storm? The young Marine asked what is Desert Storm?
:o Oh my.... Bless his soul.

Ruleryak
eBay name: ruleryak

Post by Ruleryak » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:31 pm

One more year and folks born within this century will start serving. As it is now you could have been born a year after The Matrix came out and be a soldier at this point. Desert Storm is somehow already a distant memory, almost a decade before the latest generation of grunts were even born.

rabidwolf

Post by rabidwolf » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:05 pm

Yeah, I guess some of us are getting old. One memory I have of Desert Storm as a kid was around Christmas. President Bush was visiting the troops, and they were having spaghetti as a Christmas meal. Even with all the cooking my momma was doing. I begged her to cook some spaghetti. She asked why I wanted it so bad. So I told her about the news segment I watched. I said something along the lines of,"Our soldiers are eating spaghetti for Christmas dinner. I want to eating spaghetti just like them. She asked, are you going to sit outside in the cold or a tent? Yep! Luckily the local station replayed the clip later. I was told spaghetti will be tomorrow.

noderaser
eBay name: noderaser

Post by noderaser » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:52 pm

Norton wrote:Just a side note. We had a party for a cousin of mine that returned from USMC Boot Camp. He brought me a MRE as a gift as I had written him about therm.
How did he sneak one out? Those were major contraband for us (AF), we had one trainee in my flight who got super-chewed out for having one of the little Tabasco bottles in his pack... Of course, this was the one guy who wouldn't get frustrated no matter what--and the bottle was planted by a TI. They were just trying to get him to show some frustration/anger, but it didn't work!
I'm using my computer's spare resources to help find cures for diseases, analyze astronomical data, render 3D animations, simulate new materials and run climate models--what is your computer doing? http://boinc.berkeley.edu/ Or ask me for help!