Battle of the Buckets - freeze-dried/dehydrated food kits

Reviews of Civilian MREs (Sure-Pak, aPack, etc.) as well as other civilian ready-to-eat food
sw342pd
eBay name: sw342pd

Re: Battle of the Buckets - freeze-dried/dehydrated food kit

Post by sw342pd » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:08 am

Adrain, I agree with your choice of Mossberg - but also consider Reminton 700/870 or better a semiautomatic and for your choice manual usable Benelli M3/M4! They`re great!
Also forammo I agree with Sslugs and 000 Buckshot in a mix, so you can destroy everything whats in your way!
For addition and personal backup and close quarter comabt I would use an Glock 9mm - with much spare Magazines - e.g. the Glock 19 or for concealed wearing the 26! My favorite.
As for a secondary backup, I use an S&W 342 personal defense 5 shot .38 caliber plus revolver! Titanium leightweight! Just in case...

And finally I would like to use a HK MP5 with caliber 9mm or a PDW in .45 - that rocks!

just my 2 cents... :mrgreen:
ak70g2 wrote:Ma'am, I was cross-trained as demolition and sniper, and that's "sparkled" my interest in medical issues. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

If you allow me an advice, I suggest you to get first a good shotgun like Mossberg 500/Maverick 88 (they are practically same thing) and became familliar with it. Nothing beats a charge of 000 buckshot from a short range. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

After that, if you need something more, pick an semiautomatic AK47/AKM, is a very easy to use, to maintain and to dismantle. Also, the 7,62x39 mm ammo is cheap and plentiful (and damn effective). :D
"forge ahead"

ak70g2

Post by ak70g2 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:13 am

I've told about Mossberg because I've use one few times, and I like the combination of low cost, menacing look and efectiveness. Semiautomatic shotguns are more complicated and those Benelli's cost an arm, a leg and both kidneys. Using KISS principle, an Mossberg 500 (I tend to use what big armies use too) is my pick.

But I completely agree with your combination of Glock 19 & 26. :mrgreen:
'cuz hunting ain't catch and release...

gearsource

Post by gearsource » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:11 pm

Fantastic Post.

Hope to see more of your testing & evaluation when you get the time.

Thanks.

Treesuit

Post by Treesuit » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:50 pm

TurtleNomad,

I think I covered a bit over on the water storage thread but few things I noticed here. First: stock up on a bag of charcoal, during the spring, summer and fall cooking over charcoal is inexpensive and can be used to heat water in a pinch. Second, charcoal lasts awhile. If you have a communal BBQ go outside on a nice sunny day and practice. Some vendors have a "light the bag" and some come in giant 50 pound bags which require charcoal fluid and matches.

Second, The Epicenter sells a device that is a small, cheap filter for your hot water heater. RULERYAK, mentioned this in his post. A hot water heater can be used but you will have to filter out the sediment and other junk before drinking. The filter sold by The Epicenter can be directly attched to your heater and water can be filtered and pumped out at the same time. If an dire situation arises.

dirtbag

Post by dirtbag » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:17 am

Charcoal?
Good idea, if you're careful.

Probably preaching to the choir here, but it never hurts to be sure.
Never, EVER, burn charcoal indoors!!!
Carbon Monoxide will kill you, its quick and deadly, and sooo permanent!

nuff said... :wink:

Ps: I prefer my new, spiffy Glock 30SF...
IMHO, .45 ACP is way better than 9MM.
Shotguns?
I have an Ithica 37 pump, I'll use what I have... :mrgreen:
Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO

TurtleNomad

Post by TurtleNomad » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:10 pm

I'm still in tax prep/Hell, but, in hopes that this will give some of you a wee smile, here's three quick pics of "Granola Dew". :)

Right after poring in some Mountain Dew (into a regular ss camping mug):
The milk and Dew reacted almost instantly, very similarly to what happens when you add root beer to ice cream to create a root beer float. :)

After stirring:

On the spoon, ready-to-eat:

I didn't wait long enough to let the blueberries fully rehydrate, but they still tasted fine. I've had this three times now (only once with blueberry granola, twice with strawberry), and I enjoy it more than regular, caffeine free granola. :)

Thanks dirtbag for sparking the idea! It never occurred to me to hack granola. ;)

Stay tuned for the first of the detailed "kit" reviews.
I'll probably start with "Wise", unless I get request(s) for any other(s). :)
The important thing is the spices.
A man can live on packaged food from here til Judgement Day if he's got enough Marjoram.
- Shephard Book, "Serenity" (the pilot), Firefly

Name_not_found

Post by Name_not_found » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:24 pm

Thanks for the update, do you eat it cold or leave a can out to warm up or heat it?

Start with the one you have the most to say about.

(PS try Dew instead of water for pancake mix too)
Ration Reviews: USA, Australia, Canada, Japan, Italy, Germany, France, China, Spain, Russia, Lithuania
Wish List: Rations from anywhere I haven't reviewed yet!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnlQPi ... kQXu87uUCA

dirtbag

Post by dirtbag » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:18 am

Well, once upon a time (Long Ago), we used to drink Hot DR. Pepper... :lol:

And I'm partial to Vernors, and Squirt, Myself...
I like it to burn going down! :mrgreen:
Dew is kinda ...flat, if you follow. :?

TurtleNomad

Post by TurtleNomad » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:38 pm

Name, what attracted me to this experiment was the idea of zero prep food. :)

So, I wake up, do a brief washroom visit, stumble to the fridge, grab a can of Dew, go straight to the computer, and while it's booting up, Dew-ify some granola. I absorb some liquid Dew while starting my morning data retrieval, then start eating granola-Dew. :)

Theoretically, if I ever run out of cold Dew, I'd have tried room temp Dew from the Caffeine Closet, but warming it is way too much work, particularly in the morning. :)

Thanks for the pancake tip! That had never occurred to me!

dirtbag, virtual high-five on Vernors! :)
What about Barq's? I've been meaning to pick some up, at which point, I'll be trying caffeinated root beer granola. :)

Stay tuned while I post up the overview and first few items from the Alpine Aire 7-day kit, strictly because it's now on sale, and it's excellent.
The important thing is the spices.
A man can live on packaged food from here til Judgement Day if he's got enough Marjoram.
- Shephard Book, "Serenity" (the pilot), Firefly

dirtbag

Post by dirtbag » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:24 am

Yeah, Barks has a bite (Pun intended).
Not much for root beer, though.

Vernors used to have more bite, but I think they switched from real sugar to that syrup stuff, changed the taste. :(