Chicken and Salsa MRE

Reviews and taste-tests of any MREs from 1981-present
DIRTYDAVE

Chicken and Salsa MRE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:18 pm

Well, since this site is all about MRE's let me start by giving my review of the MRE I just finished for dinner. It was Chicken And Salsa, Mexican Rice, Wheat snack bread (which I robbed from my Jambalaya meal as the Chicken and Salsa meal has crackers only and I love the bread) with Jalapeno Cheese Spread and washed it down with 12oz, WHAT? 12oz!!! Of cherry bev. Yup, you heard it right, the new 2004 menu has changed its Bev base powder packets to read stir in 12oz of water instead of the puny little 6oz of water. For a man like myself that drinks about four 16oz glasses of Sprite with a meal, 12oz is like a gift from Heaven above. I will be having the shortbread cookies for dessert and will wash it down with a glass of ice cold milk...sorry fellas, I have to have my milk with dessert, I can't rough it that bad.

Overall rating on a scale of 1-10 for this meal...10...I love the Chicken and Salsa, the rice was fantastic, the cherry bev phenomenol and as I love shortbread cookies, I am sure the dessert will be a great finish.

UPDATE----
The shortbread cookies were delicious as I thought they would be, I also ate the Lemon Poppy Seed Poundcake from the Jambalaya MRE and a bag of Peanut M&M's from the Chicken and Salsa MRE. What can I say, I felt like pigging out!!! All was delicious.
Last edited by DIRTYDAVE on Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"THEY CALL ME DIRTY...DIRTYDAVE"

Steve
inactive

Post by Steve » Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:44 am

Gosh, just being able to find some people that love MRE's like I do is heaven for me. You should see all the people that know me, they think I'm totally fucked up (pardon my language but its true) if they know how much I love rations.

I love the Oatmeal that comes in Canadian IMP's... hmmm its yummy stuff. I also like that creepy Chocolate Mint Pound Cake in MRE's... ooo its like space food!

Dude, mexican rice is probably one of the best side dishes in MRE's, if you see em, get em... they taste soo good! They're spicy too! Indigestion HERE I COME! Weehooo.

I cant wait till' I get these British rations in the mail... I hope the guy I bought em from didnt screw me over... I bet the bastard did, I bought em off of Ebay, and the guy seemed like a rude jerk from the start.

I make $20 a day, if the guy ripped me off, I hope he feels good about himself... damn prick.

But oh well, I have insurance with it so I can get a refund if it doesent work out.
You lose one - you rig one.

- Captain Quint

Hi, my name is Steve and I ramble alot... for many reasons I wish to keep to myself. :)

DIRTYDAVE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:46 am

I have had the mexican rice before Steve, but it did not taste as good. I actually had some rice from a 2002 case I had, but the rice I had last night was made last year in May I believe the box said and was more delicious than the 2002 rice. I guess that makes sense.

Steve
inactive

Post by Steve » Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:38 am

Yeah the older mexican rice didnt taste and feel like it was cooked long enough. My mom cooks the hell outta everything
(No worries shes the best cook in the world, and thats a fact, anyone who disagrees is wrong I mean... they're WRONG!). So I could eat the newer Mexican Rice easier.

But I think all those are different, they may be the same year but maybe even the month varies, just different batches could mean a difference.
I dunno.
You lose one - you rig one.

- Captain Quint

Hi, my name is Steve and I ramble alot... for many reasons I wish to keep to myself. :)

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:30 am

I think the mexican rice is ok. The main problem for me is that 9 times out of 10, I eat my MREs unheated...and those rice sides and entrees just don't go well unheated. Sure, you can eat it cold, but who likes crunchy rice? :-)

I'm just waiting to dig into the Mexican Macaroni and Cheese. That's a new side item for the 2004 MREs and I finally found a case.

DIRTYDAVE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:32 pm

I don't eat any of the heatable entrees cold. I will wait until I absolutely have to eat mexican rice cold. You are more of a man than me
kman. :lol:

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:41 pm

Oh come on Dave...give it a try. After choking down seven or eight cold MRE entrees (not at the same time!), you start to get used to it. :-) And throwing in all the tobasco and salt into them usually helps.

The other side benefit from eating your entrees unheated is that on the odd occasion when you actually heat them up, you're overwhelmed by how great they taste when they're hot!

DIRTYDAVE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:47 pm

LOL, no you can be the HE-MAN of the group Kman. I will leave that all up to you!