Wheat Snack Bread

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
DIRTYDAVE

Wheat Snack Bread

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:28 pm

It is funny how that bread has grown on me. I mean when I first tried it I could not stand it, but now, I have to have that bread with the cheese spread. It can be either plain or jalapeno cheese, I am not picky. I go though the Menus link here on the site to locate which meal has the bread and cheese and bev powder and then tear into it. Funny how things you once hated are now those things which you love... :lol:
"THEY CALL ME DIRTY...DIRTYDAVE"

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:19 pm

Just wait...the next step in Wheat Snack Bread addiction is that you start skipping out on the peanut butter and/or cheese and just start eating it straight. :-)

Steve
inactive

Post by Steve » Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:35 am

I think the vegetable crackers are really good,. has anyone else tried them before? As for actual bread, I've never tried it except the IMP bread.

That stuff is kinda wierd. But its pretty good. :lol:
You lose one - you rig one.

- Captain Quint

Hi, my name is Steve and I ramble alot... for many reasons I wish to keep to myself. :)

jenndolari

Re: Wheat Snack Bread

Post by jenndolari » Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:15 am

DIRTYDAVE wrote:I go though the Menus link here on the site to locate which meal has the bread and cheese and bev powder and then tear into it.
Wheat snack bread and cheese? Ewwww..... I find the bread is GOOD, but it's slightly sweet...and the cheese just doesn't go with it for me. The jelly and peanut butter, do, though.
Not All Warriors Are Called "Sir!"
Closetspace - http://www.dolari.org/cs
A Wish for Wings - http://www.dolari.org/awfw

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:47 pm

Steve - yes, I've had the vegetable crackers before. They're pretty good, I think - especially with the jalapeno cheese spread on them. I'm not a big fan of putting peanut butter on them, but most of the time by the time I get hungry enough to crack open an MRE and actually get the veggie crackers and PB in hand, I don't care and start eating them together anyway.

For me, the real trick with the veggie crackers is spreading the PB or cheese on them in such a way that they're completely covered. Because if you don't, as soon as you take one bite of the cracker, it shatters into a thousand little pieces. But with the PB/cheese acting as glue, you can keep it together.

DIRTYDAVE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:54 pm

LOL, exactly, I know what you mean Kman about the cracker blowing up in your face and all over the floor...been there...done that...LOL!

For me the only thing I put on the crackers is the peanut butter. I tried putting the peanut butter and jelly together on there, but the jelly is so watery that it ends up running down my arm and all over the floor. I have also tried to make a PB&J sandwich with the bread but that does not taste good.

The only thing that gets me "HOT" is eating that bread with one of the cheese spreads.

I hope the military never gets rid of that bread and cheese or else there will be HELL TO PAY... :evil:

rational

HDR wheat snack bread

Post by rational » Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:12 pm

Hi -
New here, but thought I would warn all about the silver-packaged HDR wheat snack bread; bought box of 100 for only $12.95 off of ebay; thought I had a real bargain, but it is nothing like MRE version; HDR version has the strong taste of soy protein powder, and is very dry. Mine were packaged in 2001; hope newer ones are a different recipe.
I'm getting rather addicted to the MRE version myself, but that's o.k. because it contains 20% of your daily calcium, so now I have an excuse to go find more.
Gerry

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:39 pm

Hi Gerry. Welcome to the forums!

You know, I think I bought that exact same wheat snack bread as you did - it comes in the silver HDR packaging from around 2001 and I picked up 100 of them for about the same price from that guy on ebay.

I didn't think that wheat snack bread was too bad...but now that you mention it, I don't know when the last time I had a piece of official MRE wheat snack bread - so maybe it really is different.

I'll dig into my supplies and see if I can put the two of them side-by-side for some comparison eating.

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:47 pm

Ok - I just pulled out two wheat snack breads - one from an HDR and the other from a regular MRE. Right away, I can see a big difference in the names:

MRE version = Wheat Snack Bread
HDR version = Snack Bread Fortified

They're both made by Sterling Foods. Another difference I see is that on the MRE version, under nutritional information, it says ""Not a significant source of vitamin A and vitamin C". But on the HDR bread, it says it contains 40% of the recommended daily allowance of vitamin A (but only 4% of vitamin C).

Other than that, the ingredients list is the same for both breads. So I'd say the main difference is the all the extra vitamins they pump into the HDR bread.

I'll sample these two breads over the next few days and report back.

DIRTYDAVE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:11 pm

NOW I DEFINITELY WILL NOT BUY ANY OF THAT BREAD. SOUNDS LIKE A BAD IMPOSTER... :evil: