Burning a Flameless Ration Heater

For non-MRE, non-ration topics
SentientTootsieRoll

Burning a Flameless Ration Heater

Post by SentientTootsieRoll » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:28 am

Let me preface this by saying I did something very stupid tonight. I had a nice fire going and decided I would be clever and throw in an FRH from an MRE. This was all in the name of science of course. :mrgreen:

At first, it went along nicely as the top portion of the heater burned. It wasn't too exciting, if I'm honest. A few minutes later, a incredibly bright flash of light was coming out of the fire. Ok, that's cool...as long as nothing terrible happens. Shortly after that, some sparks, not unlike electricity sparks began shooting out everywhere. Oh no. I stepped back, had some water ready but unsure if that would somehow make the problem worse, I ran to the grill and shut it along with any air intakes as rapidly as I could.

If anyone here is familiar with the Powder Toy, it felt a lot like using that in real life. I should probably just go to bed before I get myself into more trouble tonight.

jfko6
eBay name: jfk9

Re: Burning a Flameless Ration Heater

Post by jfko6 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:17 am

I don’t believe that has ever been covered here. But the FRH (did not ask Mr. Google) is made of a chemical compound that is obviously used to heat things up like a mercurial compound (if not already contained in it). Am not sure if there is a warning — not to get near a flame but of course now am glad the word is out not to burn it.

This is one of the reasons it is considered Hazardous Material and not allowed to ship by air. Some guys were upset I would not send them to Canada (they go by air only from U.S).

One of the elemental compounds goes into its construction to be able to do what it was designed for.

No damage done. Lesson learned.
The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country
American Legion Legionnaire

elandil

Post by elandil » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:50 pm

SentientTootsieRoll wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:28 am
Let me preface this by saying I did something very stupid tonight. I had a nice fire going and decided I would be clever and throw in an FRH from an MRE. This was all in the name of science of course. :mrgreen:

At first, it went along nicely as the top portion of the heater burned. It wasn't too exciting, if I'm honest. A few minutes later, a incredibly bright flash of light was coming out of the fire. Ok, that's cool...as long as nothing terrible happens. Shortly after that, some sparks, not unlike electricity sparks began shooting out everywhere. Oh no. I stepped back, had some water ready but unsure if that would somehow make the problem worse, I ran to the grill and shut it along with any air intakes as rapidly as I could.
the primary ingredient in the FRH is magnesium powder,(bright flash) when mixed with the secondary and tertiary chemicals of Iron and Sodium can create interesting effects...Think of it as a sparkler on steroids.

jfko6 wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:17 am
I don’t believe that has ever been covered here. But the FRH (did not ask Mr. Google) is made of a chemical compound that is obviously used to heat things up like a mercurial compound (if not already contained in it). Am not sure if there is a warning — not to get near a flame but of course now am glad the word is out not to burn it.

This is one of the reasons it is considered Hazardous Material and not allowed to ship by air.
close, but incorrect. the exothermic reaction puts off Hydrogen gas, this is the reason they are banned on flights unless sealed in original packaging.

jfko6
eBay name: jfk9

Post by jfko6 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:37 am

A Hazardous material is anything that can give off a noxious fume. I had a class on that at UPS since they had an incident which affected a driver who Actually hospitalized himself against advice from management.

A hazardous material is also combustible and flammable according to OSHA. The FRH meets both criteria. That is, in part, the legal definition of a hazardous material.

It is bannable on both grounds. Since my interpretation met the legal definition of a hazardous material, it is not incorrect.

Thanks.
The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country
American Legion Legionnaire