Marine Week Sept. 5-9, 2018, in Charlotte, NC

For non-MRE, non-ration topics
kman
Site Admin

Marine Week Sept. 5-9, 2018, in Charlotte, NC

Post by kman » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:34 am

As some of you may know, next week is "Marine Week" and I'm happy to see that my home city of Charlotte, NC, is going to be the location for it:

https://usmarineweek.com/

The event is described as: "Join the United States Marine Corps in Uptown Charlotte this September for a celebration of Community, Country and Corps. From Sept. 5–9, Marine Week Charlotte will feature hands-on displays, live demonstrations, time-honored Marine Corps traditions, musical performances and other events to showcase the history, military capabilities and community involvement of the Corps."

The main reason I'm posting this is because one of the things I'm involved with in Charlotte is a non-profit arts group called "Charlotte Art League" (no, I'm not an artist...but my wife is and I help out there). One of the Marine Week events is the unveiling of a mural designed and painted by Marines in honor of Marine Week in the host city. We heard the Marines were having a tough time finding a business in Charlotte that would allow them to paint the mural on their wall so we happily invited them to use ours.

Check out this first picture as they've begun work:
marine-week-mural-charlotte.jpg
You can also see previous murals here.

It's a real shame for my city that so many businesses in Charlotte turned them down (North Carolina may be conservative in general, but the the big cities like Charlotte are not)...so I'm happy that we're able to help!

kman
Site Admin

Re: Marine Week Sept. 5-9, 2018, in Charlotte, NC

Post by kman » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:55 am

Adding another pic from today's work (the earlier pic was of them tracing off a projection):
marine-week-mural-charlotte-2.jpg

housil

Post by housil » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:30 pm

Too bad it´s no in October...

steve1989
eBay name: -

Post by steve1989 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:22 am

This is really cool Kman. Good on you guys for having this patriotic mural on your building. It's great to see the Charlotte Art League in action.