TIP: Quoting parts of a forum post

For non-MRE, non-ration topics
SentientTootsieRoll

TIP: Quoting parts of a forum post

Post by SentientTootsieRoll » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:26 pm

One common thing we do in a forum is reply to each other. As a matter of courtesy, I find that it's best to quote the relevant parts of the topic rather and quoting the entire post (which creates a long page of useless redundancy--see what I did there? ;)) or simply not quoting something at all, thus causing confusion since there is no context. Luckily, the forum software offers a solution to this problem! Here is how you can quote a snippet from a previous forum post:

Step 1 (click to enlarge):
First, select the piece of text that you want to quote. Then, click the "quote" icon on the right side as shown below. Please click the example below to enlarge.
1.png

Step 2:
The piece of text will then show up in your reply so that your post will look nice and clean! :)
2.png
2.png (4.36 KiB) Viewed 4370 times

carlosflar

Re: TIP: Quoting parts of a forum post

Post by carlosflar » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:11 pm

SentientTootsieRoll wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:26 pm
Also you can even modify someone else's quote, the code is simple and the text is not ''bound'', but dont go some post else and start quoting people on stuff they didnt say! :P
I have Spanish rations permanently, feel free to ask :!:
Interested in: International rations,medical items, emergency kits and other
YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/carlosflar

SentientTootsieRoll

Re: TIP: Quoting parts of a forum post

Post by SentientTootsieRoll » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:57 am

This is where the importance of "trust, but verify" weighs in. Of course, it's possible to misquote someone but it's always important to double check the original post, especially if it's something that appears outrageous. It has its uses too, for example if someone deletes a previous post, someone might have quoted it thus their previous post was saved. I've seen that come in handy a few times, especially when someone unruly is trying to cover themselves.