A durable watch?

For non-MRE, non-ration topics
Conrad
eBay name: ConradsAutoParts

A durable watch?

Post by Conrad » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:31 am

So somewhat off topic but related in a way....
Have any of you guys got a real world recommendation for a rugged/durable watch for use in both outdoor activities and for work in a rough physical job?
Reasonable price as in not in the hundreds.
I've not worn a watch in years, mainly due to not wanting to damage a nice one or get it caught on stuff and for various reasons I need to start.

limp_noodle

Re: A durable watch?

Post by limp_noodle » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:31 pm

I've had this watch for the past 5 years and I've beat the crap out of it.

https://www.casio.com/products/watches/ ... /gwm500a-1

I can't like to amazon, but it's about $80 shipped.

I wear it all the time when I'm hiking, camping, working on my car, working in the machine shop, around the house, worn it on vacation where I went snorkeling in the ocean, the whole nine yards and then some. It's been bumped a lot too and still holding up amazingly.

It's solar powered and I haven't had any issues with the battery. It also has atomic clock syncing so I've never had to adjust for daylight saving time. Those were two of the big selling points for me.

Great watch I highly recommend it.

[ex-Member1]

Post by [ex-Member1] » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:14 pm

Conrad wrote:So somewhat off topic but related in a way....
Have any of you guys got a real world recommendation for a rugged/durable watch for use in both outdoor activities and for work in a rough physical job?
Reasonable price as in not in the hundreds.
I've not worn a watch in years, mainly due to not wanting to damage a nice one or get it caught on stuff and for various reasons I need to start.
I had same dilemma and went for Casio Pro Trek series, PRG270. I wanted something rugged enough not to be damaged, good enough that can be used in various occasions and not poke the eye like G-Shock does. Also wanted something with reasonable size not to big, already tested and in addition to that I decided I want it to be solar., to have quality built straps, good illumination and basic sensors that can keep up with solar battery inside, after I got it I found even sleep mode if you turn it upside down when you are not using it or under sleeves or pocket it just turn of the screen that kicks on when you get it on light in time of maybe one second.

Before this watch I used mostly Suunto and 5.11 Tactical. Suunto is too expensive, some of them look like kids watch from Mc'Donalds, each new model is eating more battery and almost all of them is big and I often got it slammed in doors, windows, gear, straps you name it my watch felt it. Main problem beside often battery change is I scratched every glass with million little ones and few big ones that keeps adding, stamps on them wear off after some time. 5.11 models Field Ops my straps had broke like 6-7 times, it's problem everyone had and I didn't want to get NATO straps and continue to use the watch with them. No scratches no problems with the watch whatsoever. The other model HRT Titanium is too big for my taste and my hand. So with preference I need something for outdoors but also for everyday use I started looking at Pro Trek series and I'm still in love with it. Everything is in place, no scratches anywhere on the body.
m_Td6BDcNSo.jpg
e-X-uANSVuU.jpg
PS
Joe Robinet is one of the users, if that means anything to you.

jfko6
eBay name: jfk9

Post by jfko6 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:32 pm

I'm assuming you have an old watch lying around somewhere, nothing fancy but useful.

If that be the case, my recommendation is for a watch band. I used one. They're useful and will save you money.
I have one of those techno gadget watches. I also have military watch that keeps good time. It's a timex.

But a watch band you might want to start off with. Might be able to get one here in the States and ship it oversees.
If this interests you as an option, PM me.
R4101ALLWATCHBANDSmini.jpg
Watchband
R4101ALLWATCHBANDSmini.jpg (34.64 KiB) Viewed 9708 times
The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country
American Legion Legionnaire

Conrad
eBay name: ConradsAutoParts

Post by Conrad » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:53 am

Thanks for those replies guys.
So far I seem to prefer those pro trek ones from what I've looked at about them.
For some reason I don't enjoy the idea of your watch updating automatically by some sort of transmitter like the first one. I want to set my own damn watch :D

On the subject of the bands, that might not be a bad idea for work, but I'd probably just have a cheaper watch on it. I actually don't have any old watch at all except a relatively expensive "fancy" dress watch which was given to me years ago but its far too nice and shiny to use. I think I can get some version of those bands from a couple of UK surplus stores but I'm not sure what quality they'd be.

parafireboy
eBay name: parafireboy

Post by parafireboy » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:52 pm

I've got a Luminox (the makers of the "Navy SEAL" watches) military watch that I hardly use. I literally have worn it about ten times, but I'm just not a big watch wearer anymore. It's in practically new condition, and I paid just over $300 for it new. I can make you one heck of a deal if you're interested. PM me if you are. It includes all of the paperwork that it came with. This is the type of watch that glows all the time and does not need to be "recharged" for the hands and markers to glow.
26112289_10155350765778741_7043591443605752993_n.jpg
26111931_10155350765798741_3291214367793663360_n.jpg

Simon2002mre
eBay name: simocros17

Post by Simon2002mre » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:16 pm

How much for it brother?
Killed by rancid pound-cake. I know that will be on my tomb stone.

sodjer

Post by sodjer » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:35 pm

hey Conrad back in the day ,I used one of these http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/brown-leat ... duct,19197,
if I get spare money at some time I want a hazard 4 diver watch .