Best variation of the kidney bean shaped German mess kit?

For non-MRE, non-ration topics
fdsman

Best variation of the kidney bean shaped German mess kit?

Post by fdsman » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:06 pm

I've recently taken an interest in mess kits after ordering a standard USGI mess kit; I noticed that quite a number of countries have adopted the German kidney bean shaped mess kit that shares most of their lineage with the WWII German mess kit.

From a point of usability, I would think that the East/West German variant would be the most useful out of the designs, because of the "extra" cup that is supplied compared to most other variations that just have a lid and main pot section; However the concensus seems to be that the Swedish variation is superior even though it only offers two surfaces to store/eat out of. I can't really see any reasons other than the Swedish mess kit uses very thick aluminum compared to the others.

The East German variation appeals the most to me, since the third cup can either be linked into the handle of the lid, or used on it's own; Having the two cups always linked while in use as on the West German variant seems cumbersome. The only downside to the East German mess kit is the thickness of the aluminum, I've heard it's very easy to damage and bend due to it's thin construction.

The South Korean version has a third section like the East/West German but is a divided cup with two sections; However these appear to be next to unobtainable, I'm also not a fan of both cups being intended to hook together.

What is your perspective on these mess kits?

[ex-Member1]

Re: Best variation of the kidney bean shaped German mess kit?

Post by [ex-Member1] » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:09 pm

I thought Swedish original mess kits are stainless steel... I know that repro's are aluminium like MILTEC one. And they seem to be top of the line as the cooking set, not just army style put bag inside then food then eat then throw the bag.

You can also check alternatives like this PLA mess kit, you don't have handle on the "frying pan" though. Similar are used also in ROK and they dont have divided plate (but yeah some do, I don't know why).
bulkkoct_namja_12_12_2017_18_5_3_449.jpg
seonkyungjang_12_12_2017_18_11_26_700.jpg

housil

Post by housil » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:11 am

Asger wrote: I know that repro's are aluminium like MILTEC one.
I bought one off MILTEC for once to give it a try. "MilTec" is called "TrashTec" over here for the crappy quality of their (Chinese made) products and that messkit hit it again. The Top didn´t fit on the bottom, the inner cup stuck in the and the rivet came off the first use.
So yes - an original "MüllTec"... :?

I still have mine Bundeswehr messkit issued in 88 :mrgreen: and still use it.

fdsman

Post by fdsman » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:29 am

Is there any way to tell the miltec from the genuine issued version?
Similar are used also in ROK and they dont have divided plate (but yeah some do, I don't know why).
That much I can answer, the ROK selected a new design for their mess kit and apparently sold off their stockpile of the old design. The one with the butterfly handle lid and the inner cup that has a divided section is the current issue design.

[ex-Member1]

Post by [ex-Member1] » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:14 am

As far as I know biggest difference is a material stainless steel in original vs. aluminium in repro so check the weight. Another big difference is the cost itself, the original one is now more rare and the repro you should find for like 30-ish euros I think. There could be some stamps missing in repro. There is also a difference that many repros have that two 0 rings on the handle missing - the ones for the stick. The rest of the stuff you get in package is most probably original, all but not the mess kit itself.

There is probably more difference that would user of both kits recognize better.

housil

Post by housil » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:47 pm

fdsman wrote:Is there any way to tell the miltec from the genuine issued version?
Genuine ones have stamping of manufacturer and year, repros don´t have.

housil

Post by housil » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:53 pm

housil wrote:
fdsman wrote:Is there any way to tell the miltec from the genuine issued version?
Genuine ones have stamping of manufacturer and year, repros don´t have.
Asger wrote:As far as I know biggest difference is a material stainless steel in original vs. aluminium in repro so check the weight.
They were never made from stainless stell but aluminium only, even back in WW2.

[ex-Member1]

Post by [ex-Member1] » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:32 pm

housil wrote:
Asger wrote:As far as I know biggest difference is a material stainless steel in original vs. aluminium in repro so check the weight.
They were never made from stainless stell but aluminium only, even back in WW2.
I think they did, but maybe your sSedish is better then mine in that case thanks for the information update. I always thought there are 2 versions.
Material: Aluminium m/44, eller Rostfritt stål m/40
Under 1930-talet kom det rostfria stål kommit ut på marknaden och kokkärl m/1940 kunde tillverkades i det. 1944 återgick man av kostnadsskäl tillbaka till aluminium. Både m/40 och m/44 används idag av Försvarsmakten. Många föredrar dock att använda den rostfria varianten då aluminium är obra att få i sig.
https://www.soldf.com/enmanskok.html
Lyckades få tag i en M40 rostfritt, blir lite dyrare än aluminium men man får se det som en investering :)
https://www.airsoftsverige.com/forum/vi ... hp?t=24620
Enmanskök Kokkärl M40 Aluminium (Aluminium m/40)
M7479-101000-3

Enmanskök Kokkärl M40 Stainless Steel (Rostfritt stål m/44)
M7479-102000-2
http://webbingbabel.blogspot.hr/2012/08 ... nskok.html
The m/1895 was replaced by the stainless steel Kokkärl m/40. It was shorter than the m/1895 and the shape changed from "kidney" to oval. Due to costs an aluminum version, the m/44, entered production in 1944. In my sometimes-not-so-humble opinion, the Kokkärl m/40 is the Mercedes Benz of mess tins. Not only is it nearly indestructible, it was issued with a well-designed set of accessories: windscreen, alcohol stove, fuel bottle, cup, eating utensils, etc.
Plus: Extremt robust i rostfritt utförande.
https://www.utsidan.se/friluftsguiden/l ... -m-40_1241
14063825_1058730014218565_1369952898660080412_n.jpg
Screenshot_57.png

fdsman

Post by fdsman » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:17 am

Huh, that's pretty interesting. I've only seen the aluminum version offered for sale on eBay, but good to know it's easily identifiable.

fdsman

Post by fdsman » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:24 am

After becoming uninterested in mess kits for a few years, I decided to see what was available more recently, and I managed to find a stainless Swedish mess kit for around 40 USD shipped from Sweden.

This was an incredible find given they regularly go for 150-200 USD these days.