FEMA food packs for recent hurricanes

For non-MRE, non-ration topics
Mpitt

FEMA food packs for recent hurricanes

Post by Mpitt » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:22 pm

Came across in my twitter feed a couple days ago, a stream about what FEMA has been dropping off as emergency food to those in need in the recent disasters from the last couple months.

Couple images I snagged from the stream.
Attachments
DObumZVWAAAe1Tt.jpg large.jpg
DOThp3-X4AAQmJG.jpg
DOcrojBUMAAkBoh.jpg

sourwes
eBay name: sourwes

Re: FEMA food packs for recent hurricanes

Post by sourwes » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:48 pm

Looks poorly planned and even more poorly executed :( No surprise from FEMA. They would do well to come up with a sensible 24hr disaster Ration pack like the Russian Emercoms that includes everything. Matches, water purification , etc. not just dumping a bunch of 7-11 snacks in a box....they may as well just hand out first strike rations
Last edited by sourwes on Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
it is what it is....

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:57 pm

I think one of the problems that happened this year was that most of the decent MRE-type meals were bought up by suppliers trying to get food to the Houston area for the first hurricane. So by the time Florida and then Puerto Rico were hit, those supplies had dried up and they were grabbing whatever they could get their hands on. So candy bars, crackers, and potted meat it was.

Mpitt

Post by Mpitt » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:55 pm

Good point Kman. It's difficult to be prepared for a single disaster of that magnitude. Throw 3 or 4 back to back and things get really crazy, really fast.

noderaser
eBay name: noderaser

Post by noderaser » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:11 am

I usually see a lot of the commercial MREs in disaster response scenarios... But yeah, I can imagine that the supplies were pretty low this year with all the crap going down.
I'm using my computer's spare resources to help find cures for diseases, analyze astronomical data, render 3D animations, simulate new materials and run climate models--what is your computer doing? http://boinc.berkeley.edu/ Or ask me for help!

Treesuit

Post by Treesuit » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:51 am

Just looking at those photos and if I were in need of relief I'd probably be a little confused and then depressed by looking at the contents of this box. I'd have to agree with sourwes on this. Definitely poorly planned and executed, but I could sworn we saw similar photos of relief boxes being handed out years ago either during or after Hurricane Katrina.

Correct me, if I'm wrong guys, but we all know MRE cases were thrown out to the local population like crazy but I swear I saw something by Kraft foods, in the form of a disaster relief kit that was being thrown out to disaster victims among all that chaos. Does anybody else remember seeing this?