America the Story of Us: Life in Jamestown | History

For non-MRE, non-ration topics
jfko6
eBay name: jfk9

America the Story of Us: Life in Jamestown | History

Post by jfko6 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:57 pm

The time frame not mentioned is circa 1602-1609.

If you had history lessons on Jamestown and early English settlement go ahead and comment.

The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country
American Legion Legionnaire

jfko6

Re: America the Story of Us: Life in Jamestown | History

Post by jfko6 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:53 pm

Jamestown , the colony where America was started, almost went out for good more than once. Those who survived were lucky. The remaining survivors, and there weren't many, almost perished. They were rescued in the nick of time. Cannibalism did occur. The anthropological record bears it out.
The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country

BTemple
eBay name: btem9257

Post by BTemple » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:33 pm

I always loved this historical period in North America.
My brother was actually lead Archaeologist for a time at the site of the 2nd-ever colony in North America after Jamestown, called Cuper's Cove(modern day Cupids). It's here in Newfoundland and was begun in 1610. It's the oldest continuously inhabited settlement in Canada and apparently the first child ever born in the New World to European parents was at this place.
In the immortal words of President Harrison Ford, Air Force One: Peace is not the absence of war... it is the presence of justice.

jfko6

Post by jfko6 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:35 pm

That's a good story. Newfoundland has a rich history. There has been some archaeological evidence that the Vikings were there in the year 1000. So it is believed. And the Vikings had contact with the Native Indians.
The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country

BTemple

Post by BTemple » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:43 am

jfko6 wrote:That's a good story. Newfoundland has a rich history. There has been some archaeological evidence that the Vikings were there in the year 1000. So it is believed. And the Vikings had contact with the Native Indians.
Yes the site is in L'Anse aux Meadows and it is a confirmed viking site. The Vikings had run-ins with the native Beothuk tribe and some were killed over time.

A 2nd possible site has been found using satellite imagery. Here's the news story: https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=w ... 5R&ampcf=1

It's a National Geographic sponsored dig with an international team of Archaeologists and researchers. My brother was the lone Newfoundlander there and got access for everyone else there. He's the guy with the orange hat and beard that shows up in the videos a bit, especially the 12 minute video at the end of the article.
In the immortal words of President Harrison Ford, Air Force One: Peace is not the absence of war... it is the presence of justice.

jfko6

Post by jfko6 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:45 pm

The video was very good. What's more ironic is that National Geographic had a documentary on the Vikings today here in the USA that coincided with your post.
The part of the documentary that I caught pertained to these posts which was even more ironic. So will make some notes here about the Vikings. Wish I had that video last
month. I could have used it in my class. Without delay here's a Viking story. You wouldn't have gotten some of this history written here anywhere else.

Just some more coincidence talk. The long boats - I figured that's what they were called and was going to comment on them before I saw your 12 minute video. They were also shown in the National Geographic documentary with ongoing Viking feuds, battles, and wars with the English. And more irony was the mention that they split into two factions apparently after fighting waned or it was no longer profitable to do so. Half split and went to the America's. There they met the Indians.

It's believed that the Vikings taught the Indians how to set up a government for themselves. Why? Because when the colonists came over, not sure which ones, I believe it was in the northern parts, some of the Indians already had a governmental community. Not all did, but we know for certain some did. And here's the interesting part concerning the Vikings.

They talked about sandbars and rocks in the video and said it would be difficult to traverse them. Not difficult. Impossible. That's why that story about three Vikings being found was very believable. Those Viking long boats weren't designed to travel long distances. We're talking 3000 miles. This does not mean they didn't make it. We have evidence they did make it. Since their long boat wouldn't be useful for that type of distance, there is real circumstantial evidence that they possessed the
compass, the navigational tool that enabled them to take the journey safely or more securely

Also striking is that there is no evidence as to why they left. There was never any written record. The iron the archaeologists found (your brother, good job) is also indicative of to what the Jamestown colonists mined for (iron pyrite). They really really believed there was gold in Virginia. There wasn't. They were lied to to go there.

That replica Viking ship was cool. If you know where to look, you can get a ride on one of those.
The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country

BTemple

Post by BTemple » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:18 am

jfko6 wrote:The video was very good. What's more ironic is that National Geographic had a documentary on the Vikings today here in the USA that coincided with your post.
The part of the documentary that I caught pertained to these posts which was even more ironic. So will make some notes here about the Vikings. Wish I had that video last
month. I could have used it in my class. Without delay here's a Viking story. You wouldn't have gotten some of this history written here anywhere else.

Just some more coincidence talk. The long boats - I figured that's what they were called and was going to comment on them before I saw your 12 minute video. They were also shown in the National Geographic documentary with ongoing Viking feuds, battles, and wars with the English. And more irony was the mention that they split into two factions apparently after fighting waned or it was no longer profitable to do so. Half split and went to the America's. There they met the Indians.

It's believed that the Vikings taught the Indians how to set up a government for themselves. Why? Because when the colonists came over, not sure which ones, I believe it was in the northern parts, some of the Indians already had a governmental community. Not all did, but we know for certain some did. And here's the interesting part concerning the Vikings.

They talked about sandbars and rocks in the video and said it would be difficult to traverse them. Not difficult. Impossible. That's why that story about three Vikings being found was very believable. Those Viking long boats weren't designed to travel long distances. We're talking 3000 miles. This does not mean they didn't make it. We have evidence they did make it. Since their long boat wouldn't be useful for that type of distance, there is real circumstantial evidence that they possessed the
compass, the navigational tool that enabled them to take the journey safely or more securely

Also striking is that there is no evidence as to why they left. There was never any written record. The iron the archaeologists found (your brother, good job) is also indicative of to what the Jamestown colonists mined for (iron pyrite). They really really believed there was gold in Virginia. There wasn't. They were lied to to go there.

That replica Viking ship was cool. If you know where to look, you can get a ride on one of those.
The vikings who came to Newfoundland were led by Eric The Red's son, Leif Ericsson, originally coming from Iceland, so I assume they travelled to Greenland and then down the Labrador coast on their way to Newfoundland. Simply amazing to think that they could do this over 1000 years ago.

I'm a history/social studies teacher here, in Junior and Senior High, and I love when I get to teach about Newfoundland itself, we have a couple whole courses devoted to it.

What do you teach? You mentioned you could have used the video in your class.

jfko6

Post by jfko6 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:04 pm

I just completed a early colonial history course (Jamestown, New England) from about 1602 - 17(something). Though the Vikings were obviously not apart of the class, their ability to navigate was relevant. Though it was not emphasized, there were many shipwrecks, whether in the effort of or, in the course of colonization. Perhaps more than people realized. It was also a period of mutiny. More mutinies and none ever so much since.

Highly recommend this film: Two Years Before the Mast. It is a combination of early seafaring challenges. It essentially spawned Herman Melville's Moby Dick.
The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country

jfko6

Post by jfko6 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:17 pm

An amazing find.
The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country