Things money can't buy

For non-MRE, non-ration topics
[ex-Member1]

Things money can't buy

Post by [ex-Member1] » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:19 am

Well you can buy everything nowadays, but... this is few things I learned to like since I've started exploring rations and can't buy them in my local stores
  • maple&brown sugar oatmeal (LRP)
    drink powder grape flavour (MRE)
    pepper steak&mushroom instant soup (CR1M)
    yeast extract (CR1M)
    povidlo aka apple butter (IRP)
    beef stew in hungarian sauce (SR)
    sticky toffee pudding (ORP)
    boar&mushroom pate/terrine (RCIR)
Probably there is more :mrgreen:

TechManDan
eBay name: Av1979

Re: Things money can't buy

Post by TechManDan » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:13 am

In my local stores I cannot find anything hardly anything mre related except occasionally some can openers and mess kits. The military surplus stores in the greater Milwaukee area have odd open hours too. The science and surplus store had some 2012 civilian mres a while back for $6 each. One sporting good store sells mre star rations at an ungodly price...

Mpitt

Post by Mpitt » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:50 am

TechManDan wrote:In my local stores I cannot find anything hardly anything mre related except occasionally some can openers and mess kits. The military surplus stores in the greater Milwaukee area have odd open hours too. The science and surplus store had some 2012 civilian mres a while back for $6 each. One sporting good store sells mre star rations at an ungodly price...
Hi North Neighbor,

If you don't mind the drive down to Kenosha, there is a little military museum/surplus shop with some good prices on genuine MREs. The owner also teaches history courses for the local university and has some sessions at his shop so he can show off his weapons.

I love that Science and Surplus store. Not so much for military stuff but they have fun store of all kinds of crazy things.

sourwes
eBay name: sourwes

Post by sourwes » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:52 am

I buy a lot of my MRE style single snacks and stuff I use here on the farm at my local dollar tree. Some of my favorite items such as : IRP canned beef and apple butter I make at home myself and can in half pint jars. For other ration things such as the Canadian IMP hamburger bun and jalapeño cheese, there just is no substitute :D BlackDogBob keeps me well supplied with IMPs, now if I could just find those pouches of cheese lol...
it is what it is....

Ruleryak
eBay name: ruleryak

Post by Ruleryak » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:22 pm

sourwes wrote:now if I could just find those pouches of cheese lol...
These?

sourwes
eBay name: sourwes

Post by sourwes » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:34 pm

Yes Sir, The very same! Thanks for the info, putting my order together right now lol
it is what it is....