California Fires

For non-MRE, non-ration topics
JT1991

California Fires

Post by JT1991 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:40 pm

Hi everyone,

I live in Sonoma County, Ca. I'm about 15 minutes away from some of the neighborhoods and businesses that have burned down. The area I live in is just below one of the evacuation zones. Hopefully the fires will calm down and I won't need to evacuate. I'm safe for now.

I would also like to make sure that if any of you live near the fires, I hope you are safe and out of harms way. Such a heart breaking sight to see so many people who have lost there homes. Take care all.

- JT1991

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/10/us/s ... -fire.html
Attachments
DLuJJi-UQAA1Xbh.jpg
22449317_10155937716099172_1061325314_o.jpg
A picture I took while stuck in traffic.
"RCI. Taste History"

Simon2002mre
eBay name: simocros17

Re: California Fires

Post by Simon2002mre » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:21 pm

JT1991 wrote:Hi everyone,

I live in Sonoma County, Ca. I'm about 15 minutes away from some of the neighborhoods and businesses that have burned down. The area I live in is just below one of the evacuation zones. Hopefully the fires will calm down and I won't need to evacuate. I'm safe for now.

I would also like to make sure that if any of you live near the fires, I hope you are safe and out of harms way. Such a heart breaking sight to see so many people who have lost there homes. Take care all.

- JT1991

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/10/us/s ... -fire.html
Hey there JT1991, I'm here in southern cali, and so far we aren't affected, keep safe man, keeping you in my thoughts bro, us southern californians are worrying about you guys up there. Keep safe, and let me know what I can do :D
Killed by rancid pound-cake. I know that will be on my tomb stone.

JT1991

Post by JT1991 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:25 pm

Thanks man. :)
"RCI. Taste History"

Simon2002mre
eBay name: simocros17

Post by Simon2002mre » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:32 am

JT1991 wrote:Thanks man. :)
By the way, any news on how it's spreading? My grandpa's a retired fire chief, and he's down there working as communications, and we haven't heard much from him.
Killed by rancid pound-cake. I know that will be on my tomb stone.

Treesuit

Post by Treesuit » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:38 pm

JT1991,

Just so you understand the situation around you; be prepared to grab and go if need be.

Sometimes evacuation orders can come unexpectedly and you may need to just take whatever you can and leave. I've been to Cali twice on large fires before in the past and Southern CA is so unpredictable, Northern CA is somewhat the same. The big problem is that the winds can change in a second, and with the dry flashy fuels the fire can change course in minutes. Coupled with the urban interface and its one of the dangers firefighters face and where FF's can get wounded or trapped in burn overs.

If you can, start a simple plan right now and do a quick check on your insurance for your home/apt/condo, etc. In case things go sideways for you.

JT1991

Post by JT1991 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:48 pm

Treesuit wrote:JT1991,

Just so you understand the situation around you; be prepared to grab and go if need be.

Sometimes evacuation orders can come unexpectedly and you may need to just take whatever you can and leave. I've been to Cali twice on large fires before in the past and Southern CA is so unpredictable, Northern CA is somewhat the same. The big problem is that the winds can change in a second, and with the dry flashy fuels the fire can change course in minutes. Coupled with the urban interface and its one of the dangers firefighters face and where FF's can get wounded or trapped in burn overs.

If you can, start a simple plan right now and do a quick check on your insurance for your home/apt/condo, etc. In case things go sideways for you.

Thanks for the info. Appreciate it. I have a suitcase packed and a destination ready just in case.
"RCI. Taste History"

Treesuit

Post by Treesuit » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:05 pm

JT1991,

Ok, that is a start, now let me throw in some other ideas just to get your mind a going. If you do have to leave in a hurry, take enough supplies for 72 hours. Mostly by that time things will have settled down and perhaps fire officials will let you back into your neighborhood.

Also, if your home or residence got hit call the insurance company right away once you are actually on the ground. You'd be surprised how under-insured your home is or will be, or what the insurance company will offer you if you rebuild. Sometimes, the insurance companies will just cash out your house, because its cheaper to do it that way. (trust me, had a headache with this one)

If you rent an apt or condo, check anyways if you have renters insurance. Why! Same rules apply as above. Most companies will only insure you for what is a fair market value currently. So, if you did not list everything out when you purchased your coverage, well; the rest is coming out of your pocket. The owners who manage the apt complex where you are currently, have insurance but are not obligated to cover you or pay for any damages, worse off they might be owned by a bigger corporation somewhere else and have strange by law or rules. Might want to check or ask questions. (again had headaches with this one years ago, got nowhere with my complex managers).

Lastly, if fire officials and the county sheriff tell you to go: GO! Don't argue. I can't tell you how many times I had to go into a urban interface with a engine and crew to save somebody's house and their either not leaving, arguing with me or the sheriff about not leaving, or trying to get my crew to save their house when its going up in flames. Can't tell you what kind of emotions are going through me when this is happening but it has happened. Also if I am trying to do triage on what house to save I'm going to take a quick look and see who's house is the most defensible and start there.

WHOOPS! Sorry, got on my soapbox. I'll get off now. If anything this is good advice and just take it for what its worth. :)

jfko6
eBay name: jfk9

Post by jfko6 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:08 am

That's no fun. Just wanted to report we have been talking about California wildfires for nearly the last ten years.

We should recognize other people affected by tragedy: Texas, Florida, Puerto Rico and Nevada.

Here's a link to that original thread whilst Schwarzenegger was Governor.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1752&hilit=schwarzenegger
The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country
American Legion Legionnaire