Miss-adventures in Ruger land.

For non-MRE, non-ration topics
fatoutdoors

Miss-adventures in Ruger land.

Post by fatoutdoors » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:51 pm

So as some of you may know I'm getting married this coming Saturday. The little lady is back home getting the site ready and I'm preparing myself etc etc. So what do I do.. I splurge on a new gun. Want something I can pocket carry and settle on the Ruger LCP II. Go to my local gun store, Gun check, break in ammo, check, and a whole day to enjoy it.

Go home, clean the factory shmoo off it, give it a fresh but excess wiped off coat of gun oil (inside and out). Grab a selection of other guns and to the range I go. Things start off great. Go through a 50 round box of ball ammo no issue. Gun feels good, is easy to index and just fun to shoot. Run some carry ammo and no feed issues whatsoever. Then I hit round 90. Trigger goes back, gun fires, cycles, but the trigger stays down. I give the gun a once over. Feed a round, etc. Finally reset the trigger with my finger. Take another shot. Same issue. 2 strikes is good enough for me. I unload put the gun in my range bag and spend a little more time on some other guns then head home.

I'm thinking. OK new gun, maybe I didn't get all the shmoo out and the thing is now dirty from shooting Remington green box. Although it seems to be shooting average clean but it was my best guess. Pull the slide off and a spring arm flops up between the polymer frame and the trigger group. Spaced right before the trigger itself. Looking at the blowup diagram it looks to be the trigger spring. Makes sense. At this point my gun purges is about 4 hours old.

Call up Ruger, RA# received. Take it to the local dealer so shipping is to and from there. My preference as I don't like shipping guns to the house. Estimated turn around time 2 months.

Damn, really liked this guy but now questioning if its the right carry gun me. And have to wait around 2 months before I can do a few months of range days to figure out if this thing is going to leave me in a lurch when I need it.

Wishing I would have taken a photo but wasn't thinking about it when I was getting the RA started.
Sully

fatoutdoors

Re: Miss-adventures in Ruger land.

Post by fatoutdoors » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:19 pm

Bright side of the day was finding RamRodz gun cleaning swabs. Think big q-tip made to match your bore. Picked up a bag for the 380/9mm/357 size. Which really worked for me since it those are the calibers I usually shoot. Well 38/357 mostly but still. Worked great on cleaning.

alohakid
eBay name: admirals72

Post by alohakid » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:55 am

fatoutdoors - Another 2nd Amendment practitioner, you, Sir, are a great American! Feel your pain brother, been there, done that... specially when its a brand new weapon... luckily, knock on wood, no problems yet with the two LCP's I've owned... it's my go to when I can't carry the Sig Scorpion Carry 1911... hopefully, Ruger can do a quick turn around.

Thanks for reminding me of the RamRodz... saw those earlier this year in an ad but forgot about it... will check my local gun shop today and hopefully they'll have them.

mahalo

Simon2002mre
eBay name: simocros17

Post by Simon2002mre » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:55 pm

No! Not the Ruger! Good luck with it, and congrats on the almost newly weds
Killed by rancid pound-cake. I know that will be on my tomb stone.

shawker71
eBay name: hawkermb

Post by shawker71 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:16 pm

Ruger is my favorite gun brand.....With that said, I bought a brand new Ruger American in .308 a few years ago. Took it to the range, loaded a round, pulled the trigger, it went bang and then the bolt wouldn't open. Finally got it open and tried another to the same results. Took it back to the gun store and the guy seriously told me I used the wrong ammo. He gets a box off the shelf and drops a LIVE round in the chamber and closes the bolt. He says "See, no problem".....i told him to cycle the bolt and guess what? It was locked tight. Now this idiot has a live round in the chamber on a cocked gun he can't unload. In the end tgey gave another American .308 and no problems with it for 5 years. They make mistakes, I can accept them as long as it is made right. Ruger will fix it. The wait will suck though.

P.S. I carry the Keltec P3AT that Ruger copied. No complaints.
The first to bring you the MRE pizza stone.

fatoutdoors

Post by fatoutdoors » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:09 pm

Hah, I had a similar "gun store guy" on this one.. So when I brought the gun back here is this spring arm sticking up in the way of the slide rail. Like right in it. As I'm at the counter one of the other guys walks up dives in like he is the freaking slide whisperer and starts trying to shove it together.

I point out the spring is in the way and I don't think you can reassemble it at this point without causing more damage. He goes.. well lets see, I've not had one of these apart. At this point as ask if he's a Ruger tech and he goes nope we ship all these off. I tell him I'd prefer it if Ruger took a crack at it first. At this point the older guy at the counter goes steps in and users captain go-getter off to the side.

I'm hoping it comes back problem free. My only experience with ruger are ton of 10/22s hunting with friends/family and my oldest brother has one of the older 22 pistols. Not sure on what Mark. All of those have been trouble free, accurate, and a just to shoot. Plus the LCP II was dang fine to shoot. Just hate that I got a dud out of the factory.

Sully

shawker71

Post by shawker71 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:59 am

Like I said, it does happen. I had had over a dozen Ruger firearms over the years and only 1 bad gun. I can give them a pass.

Capt. Go Getter made laugh btw.

fatoutdoors

Post by fatoutdoors » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:34 pm

Back from the HoneyMoon, Good times. So while away I get a phone call from Ruger. Guy says CEO read my email and wanted to assure me that my gun would be done in less than a week. And sure enough Academy called me and said it is waiting for pickup. Going to get it tomorrow.

Hoping range day #2 goes smoother.

Will let you know,

Sully.

fatoutdoors

Post by fatoutdoors » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:37 pm

So tally of the work done by services.

Items replaced: Recoil Spring (outer and inner), Hammer Spring Seat, Trigger Bar, Grip Frame.

Bonus items, 1 ruger cleaning cloth, replaced my pocket holster with the newer one. Guess I got an early LCP II and they've made some improvements. Grip frame was a bit of a surprise.

Sully

shawker71

Post by shawker71 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:38 pm

Awesome to hear.