Finding quirks when editing videos

For non-MRE, non-ration topics
Nighthawk1097
eBay name: Nighthawk1097

Finding quirks when editing videos

Post by Nighthawk1097 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:38 pm

Hello all, I'm pretty sure this'll be my first topic post, so here we go.

Recently started YouTube, and when I am in the process of editing, I noticed a few things. I have this weird quirk, or speech pattern, that I don't think I never noticed before until now. I do this thing with my tongue where I hold it on the top of my mouth, and when I begin to talk I sort of make a loud clicking noise. I've been trying my hardest to edit this out of the videos, but was wondering if anyone has any similar quirks they never noticed until YouTube, or anything similar.

Hope everyone is having a great Tuesday! :D
Keep calm and knead peanut butter
https://www.youtube.com/user/1997Nighthawk

Simon2002mre
eBay name: simocros17

Re: Finding quirks when editing videos

Post by Simon2002mre » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:28 pm

Nighthawk1097 wrote:Hello all, I'm pretty sure this'll be my first topic post, so here we go.

Recently started YouTube, and when I am in the process of editing, I noticed a few things. I have this weird quirk, or speech pattern, that I don't think I never noticed before until now. I do this thing with my tongue where I hold it on the top of my mouth, and when I begin to talk I sort of make a loud clicking noise. I've been trying my hardest to edit this out of the videos, but was wondering if anyone has any similar quirks they never noticed until YouTube, or anything similar.

Hope everyone is having a great Tuesday! :D
Oh yea for sure!! I say "okay so" too much, and I make terrible sounds with my mouth, that I didn't even notice. Just roll with it and eventually you'll learn to speak the way you want on camera. It all comes from doing it. I wouldn't know as much as a lot of these other guys, but that's my experience.
Killed by rancid pound-cake. I know that will be on my tomb stone.

gschultz9

Post by gschultz9 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:14 pm

This is hilarious Nighthawk, because I have the exact same problem and have been dealing with it for years! Not sure when I first noticed it, so quite a few of my early reviews are bound to have the "mouth clicks" in them, but for the past few years I've been very careful to try to edit them all out (not an easy thing by any means, since they happen almost simultaneously with the speaking). I've never been able to "train myself" to stop doing it in the first place and it ALWAYS surprises me when I hear it during the editing process.

Nighthawk1097

Post by Nighthawk1097 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:22 am

Simon2002mre wrote: Oh yea for sure!! I say "okay so" too much, and I make terrible sounds with my mouth, that I didn't even notice. Just roll with it and eventually you'll learn to speak the way you want on camera. It all comes from doing it. I wouldn't know as much as a lot of these other guys, but that's my experience.
I got the same problem here. "okay so", and the worst one for me is right in the middle of a sentence I'll go "ummmm". When I edit it makes me laugh, I'll also stutter sometimes, but now I've just learned to stop, take a breather, and repeat what I said. That's helps me a lot.

Nighthawk1097

Post by Nighthawk1097 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:31 am

gschultz9 wrote:This is hilarious Nighthawk, because I have the exact same problem and have been dealing with it for years! Not sure when I first noticed it, so quite a few of my early reviews are bound to have the "mouth clicks" in them, but for the past few years I've been very careful to try to edit them all out (not an easy thing by any means, since they happen almost simultaneously with the speaking). I've never been able to "train myself" to stop doing it in the first place and it ALWAYS surprises me when I hear it during the editing process.
Glad to hear I'm not the only one! As of now I only have 2 videos so I've tried my best to edit them out, but a few may have made it in. Glad to know I'm almost normal. :wink:

PS Love the videos man, keep up the good work.

Simon2002mre

Post by Simon2002mre » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:11 am

Nighthawk1097 wrote:
Simon2002mre wrote: Oh yea for sure!! I say "okay so" too much, and I make terrible sounds with my mouth, that I didn't even notice. Just roll with it and eventually you'll learn to speak the way you want on camera. It all comes from doing it. I wouldn't know as much as a lot of these other guys, but that's my experience.
I got the same problem here. "okay so", and the worst one for me is right in the middle of a sentence I'll go "ummmm". When I edit it makes me laugh, I'll also stutter sometimes, but now I've just learned to stop, take a breather, and repeat what I said. That's helps me a lot.
For sure man!! Good luck and keep em' coming my family LOVES them!

fatoutdoors

Post by fatoutdoors » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:58 pm

Lol I do many of these too. And seem to start everything of with "ok". If I had a packet of MRE PB for every one of those I'd edited out I could have insulated a log cabin by now.

Really depends on what you want to do with your videos. Want to go full on pro I recommend pre-writting stuff that you know you are going to say outside of at the moment impressions like how things taste. I did this a few times and it really helps the video flow. However I'm just doing as a reason to keep buying MRE's without the Lady giving me grief as its my hobby and I have fun sharing my experience. So mostly I just wing it and the quality suffers for it but I find it fun just the same.

So really up to you and don't get discouraged. Over time you'll develop your own methods and I have no doubt it'll be fun.

Sully

Simon2002mre

Post by Simon2002mre » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:05 pm

fatoutdoors wrote: Really depends on what you want to do with your videos. Want to go full on pro I recommend pre-writting stuff that you know you are going to say outside of at the moment impressions like how things taste. I did this a few times and it really helps the video flow. However I'm just doing as a reason to keep buying MRE's without the Lady giving me grief as its my hobby and I have fun sharing my experience. So mostly I just wing it and the quality suffers for it but I find it fun just the same.
Sully
Same! I need to start writing things up, I plan on doing so in my upcoming videos.