My Altoids Tin Survival Kit

For non-MRE, non-ration topics
Treesuit

Re: My Altoids Tin Survival Kit

Post by Treesuit » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:45 pm

STR,

Here is a separate tread, I and some other forum members did some time ago on this very topic:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2576&hilit=altoids+tin

This could give you more ideas.

SentientTootsieRoll

Post by SentientTootsieRoll » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:55 am

Thanks for the suggestions, Treesuit. They are certainly appreciated. I didn't have my bag put together at the time so I couldn't test it. One advantage to having a change of season around here is being able to test your gear in it! Winter camping is one my bucket list, though I can't say it's something I'm looking forward to trying.

I don't suppose they have anything for smoky environments, though. ;) It's been something else around these parts as I'm sure you know. Contrary to how many people feel about it, I actually like the smoke smell. Reminds me of camping. And I'd prefer it any day to hurricanes.

Anyway, I will take your ideas into consideration and try them in my next survival kit. I really enjoy doing this!
Last edited by SentientTootsieRoll on Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Treesuit

Post by Treesuit » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:54 pm

STR,

Glad you got up to the Colville NF, haven't worked up there in years but it is quite nice especially in the fall. I know what you mean that area right now is pretty bad not to mention the air quality. It was bad back in 2015 in North Central WA state on the Wolverine Complex. In one of my earlier posts I mentioned other camp sites that are nearby. Usually within 30 to 45 minutes of town. Just PM me for details.

Also on the winter camping. Its good to have underneath your belt on what to do. I put my skills to the test on Mt. Rainer one New Years Eve night. I was only at mid range level not on the summit but I still had to go through the motions as it did get down to -17C New Years night. No joke! At a minimum you have to bring a travel guide for emergencies.

I know the Air Force has a winter camp site up on the Colville NF for their survival school, but for the life of me I can't remember where it was. The Army over at Ft. Lewis has one up on the Mount Baker-Snoqualmie NF, that I know for sure because I have run into a lot of SF guys training up in different sections of the forest near Crystal MT ski resort. If your curious again PM me and I can give you details.

One more thing, just spent a few minutes doing more research on the Altoids tin kit. One website I looked at was that several people made different kinds of kits i.e. fire, water purification, small food items, etc. That got me to thinking, a single tin does have some merit. One for each particular use. I might have to explore that thought. If I get time I post what my back country one looks like.

Treesuit

Post by Treesuit » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:28 pm

STR,

I promised I would post some pics of my kits that I have made up. The biggest one I have is my Tactical Tailor E & E pouch. Took me under a year to test and find stuff that worked and put it in there. Its quite packed now and still undergoing re-evaluation. Thing is its quite bulky and I can't mount it in a lot of places except a cargo pocket or a vest. Unfortunately a vest is not what I take to work or a plate carrier so most of the time it sits in my day pack.
Attachments
IMGP8375.JPG
Backcountry Altoids Tin
IMGP8376.JPG
Urban/City Altoids Tin
IMGP8377.JPG
TT E & E pouch w/ Suunto M-9 wrist compass
IMGP8382.JPG
View of the E & E pouch on the inside. Quite Full!