War based tv shows

For non-MRE, non-ration topics
alohakid
eBay name: admirals72

Re: War based tv shows

Post by alohakid » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:08 pm

BTemple wrote:
alohakid wrote:You young bucks are too young to remember a '60 tv war series called Combat... it was a favorite so I bought the DVD set... another DVD set which I receive for X-mas, Band Of Brothers... A quasi war movie which my son & I really enjoy, Heart Break Ridge with Clint... enjoy war documentaries... jfko6 posted a clip from a WWII movie The Sinking of The SS Laconia... you can watch it on you tube:

Part 1https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7esQ9S46EJY

Part 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijoHGhSDSls
On the History Channel here in Canada Combat used to come on just before or just after Tour of Duty, but I can't recall which was which. Used to love it.
BTemple - Because of Conbat and Lt. Hanley on the show, fell in love with M1 Carbine... so I bought one in .22 LR... wish I could afford the real think but I'm saving for a M1 Garand when they arrive from the Philippines via the CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program).

Just remembered another tv show - Baa Baa Black Sheep with Robert Conrad.

mahalo

BTemple
eBay name: btem9257

Post by BTemple » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:39 pm

alohakid wrote:
BTemple wrote:
alohakid wrote:You young bucks are too young to remember a '60 tv war series called Combat... it was a favorite so I bought the DVD set... another DVD set which I receive for X-mas, Band Of Brothers... A quasi war movie which my son & I really enjoy, Heart Break Ridge with Clint... enjoy war documentaries... jfko6 posted a clip from a WWII movie The Sinking of The SS Laconia... you can watch it on you tube:

Part 1https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7esQ9S46EJY

Part 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijoHGhSDSls
On the History Channel here in Canada Combat used to come on just before or just after Tour of Duty, but I can't recall which was which. Used to love it.
BTemple - Because of Conbat and Lt. Hanley on the show, fell in love with M1 Carbine... so I bought one in .22 LR... wish I could afford the real think but I'm saving for a M1 Garand when they arrive from the Philippines via the CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program).

mahalo
You're gonna love that Garand!

I've had one for 13 years now, made by Beretta after the war and issued to the Danish Army.
I'm probably the only person in all of Newfoundland who owns both a Garand AND a M1941 Johnson rifle. You won't find many Johnson rifles in all of Canada that's for sure!
In the immortal words of President Harrison Ford, Air Force One: Peace is not the absence of war... it is the presence of justice.

Simon2002mre
eBay name: simocros17

Post by Simon2002mre » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:27 pm

The pacific, and band of brothers, I'm a HUGE WWII history buff, so it speaks to me. However I'm literally looking up and watching (Illegally I may add) tour of duty, to see what it's all about.
Killed by rancid pound-cake. I know that will be on my tomb stone.

alohakid

Post by alohakid » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:40 pm

BTemple wrote:
alohakid wrote:
BTemple wrote:
BTemple - Because of Conbat and Lt. Hanley on the show, fell in love with M1 Carbine... so I bought one in .22 LR... wish I could afford the real thing but I'm saving for a M1 Garand when they arrive from the Philippines via the CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program).

mahalo

I've had one for 13 years now, made by Beretta after the war and issued to the Danish Army.
I'm probably the only person in all of Newfoundland who owns both a Garand AND a M1941 Johnson rifle. You won't find many Johnson rifles in all of Canada that's for sure!
You, Sir, are soooooooooooooooooo lucky! :lol:

BTemple

Post by BTemple » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:26 am

alohakid wrote:
BTemple wrote:
alohakid wrote:
BTemple - Because of Conbat and Lt. Hanley on the show, fell in love with M1 Carbine... so I bought one in .22 LR... wish I could afford the real thing but I'm saving for a M1 Garand when they arrive from the Philippines via the CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program).

mahalo

You, Sir, are soooooooooooooooooo lucky! :lol:
I've got a damn good collection for someone in Canada. Hahaha
I use my Garand for moose hunting and it hasn't let me down yet. It's in the original 30-06, not one of the .308 converted Italian ones.
I've got a WW1 Mosin-Nagant made in the US by New England Westinghouse as well!
In the immortal words of President Harrison Ford, Air Force One: Peace is not the absence of war... it is the presence of justice.

housil

Post by housil » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:00 am

alohakid wrote:A quasi war movie which my son & I really enjoy, Heart Break Ridge with Clint...
Gunny Highway :D

mashfan4077+

Post by mashfan4077+ » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:00 pm

Btemple those rifles are awesome, one of my buddies had a garand I love those things. I have never seen a Johnson in person those things are rare in New Brunswick. I have been saving a little cash, and looking for a K31 swiss they seem to be hard to find here as well.

BTemple

Post by BTemple » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:33 pm

mashfan4077+ wrote:Btemple those rifles are awesome, one of my buddies had a garand I love those things. I have never seen a Johnson in person those things are rare in New Brunswick. I have been saving a little cash, and looking for a K31 swiss they seem to be hard to find here as well.
They only made around 30,000 or so Johnson rifles during the entire war and they were only issued to the Marine Corps in the Pacific Theater. I'm sure a lot of them did not make it back. And only a tiny percentage of those that did make it back found their way into Canada.

alohakid

Post by alohakid » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:20 pm

housil wrote:
alohakid wrote:A quasi war movie which my son & I really enjoy, Heart Break Ridge with Clint...
Gunny Highway :D
housil - That reminds me of me, when I was a girls scout troop leader... I took no crap from any one... if them girls got out of line, I'd take away their blankies, teddy bears, candy, cookies... yup, I was hard ass, like Gunny Highway! :mrgreen:

mahalo

jfko6
eBay name: jfk9

Post by jfko6 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:42 pm

I posted an excellent TV Anthology Winds of War.

Better late than never.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=9863
The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country
American Legion Legionnaire