Appalachian Trail

For non-MRE, non-ration topics
alohakid
eBay name: admirals72

Re: Appalachian Trail

Post by alohakid » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:40 am

Treesuit wrote:Aloha kid,

If your B-I-L wants a cold one while on the trail that is fine, just as long as what ever he packs in has to come out. The old phase "pack it in - pack it out" sure applies every time you go into the back country. I would imagine that there will be some sites out there where he can dispose of trash properly. Including human waste. I say that because even in areas like Rainer NP, and North Cascades NP there are areas where you have to pack out your human waste.

The National Park Service has moved in the direction of handing out waste bags to hikers and campers going into wilderness areas. I know this because I personally handed out a lot of them of people going on the PCT and PNW-T. I wish I could show you some pictures of some of the twenty-somethings when I had to tell them to pack their waste out to a disposal site and then give them some bags. They looked as though I took their favorite toy away from them.

If your B-I-L is starting out at a National Park ranger station, he will probably have go in and and ask about permits, weather conditions, trail reports, etc. That's the best way to find out the most current up to date info before heading out. If he's going to stay at a campground, the NPS has a computer registration system that can actually find out if campgrounds are full or not. If some are full, the staff will know which one will be open by the time he reaches them, or if some are open he could reserve a spot for a night. NOT ALL NPS RANGER STATIONS CAN DO THIS. If he does stop at one he more an likely will given waste bags.

I mention weather reports because more people get lost or injured when the weather changes unexpectedly. Mostly because people did not prepare for sudden changes. Oh, and the alcohol......moderation is the key. :wink:
Treesuit - Yet another treasure of information... I copy and paste all comment and e-mail them to B-I-L... although he's been doing his own research/prepping for the hike, he truly appreciates all the input from MREInfo... told him he had to take pics so I may share... thanks again everyone!

mahalo

BlackDogBob

Post by BlackDogBob » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:35 am

alohakid wrote:Aloha gang - My brother-in-law plans to do the Appalachian Trail next March (by himself)... I will supply him with MRE/rations... my question, those with personal experience, could you please make suggestion/comments on the type of food to bring?

Thanks in advance!

mahalo
Here's a link to a YouTube video for your B-I-L. This guys has done the PCT, AZT, and twice he did the AT.
Have German,Russian,Canadian,Lithuanian,Dutch, Israeli,Spanish,HDRs,LRPs,French,US RCWs,FSRs,Italian,Croatian, Polish,Aussie, Czech, Malaysian, Swedish, Australian and Norwegian Arctics.

Eistee
eBay name: mjulian-de

Post by Eistee » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:27 am

BlackDogBob wrote:
alohakid wrote:Aloha gang - My brother-in-law plans to do the Appalachian Trail next March (by himself)... I will supply him with MRE/rations... my question, those with personal experience, could you please make suggestion/comments on the type of food to bring?

Thanks in advance!

mahalo
Here's a link to a YouTube video for your B-I-L. This guys has done the PCT, AZT, and twice he did the AT.
No Link

alohakid

Post by alohakid » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:33 am

BlackDogBob - As Eistee noted, no link :cry: Sounds like this guy is a professional hiker with tons of insights.

mahalo

BlackDogBob

Post by BlackDogBob » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:43 pm

alohakid wrote:BlackDogBob - As Eistee noted, no link :cry: Sounds like this guy is a professional hiker with tons of insights.

mahalo
My bad brother. Try this one.

Have German,Russian,Canadian,Lithuanian,Dutch, Israeli,Spanish,HDRs,LRPs,French,US RCWs,FSRs,Italian,Croatian, Polish,Aussie, Czech, Malaysian, Swedish, Australian and Norwegian Arctics.

alohakid

Post by alohakid » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:48 am

BlackDogBob wrote:
alohakid wrote:BlackDogBob - As Eistee noted, no link :cry: Sounds like this guy is a professional hiker with tons of insights.

mahalo
My bad brother. Try this one.

No problem... this guy has the experience and valuable tips... thanks!

mahalo

poorman1

Post by poorman1 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:56 pm

In my younger days I did some of the A.T, I took good old fruit cake. Yes the stuff nobody eats , only draw back is its heavy.

housil

Post by housil » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:57 am

poorman1 wrote:In my younger days I did some of the A.T, I took good old fruit cake. Yes the stuff nobody eats , only draw back is its heavy.
I loved the cherry nut cake!!

jfko6
eBay name: jfk9

Post by jfko6 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:13 pm

about 300 miles. Takes about 3-6 months to trek the whole thing. Been on top of it many times. Discovering geographical pins in the ground around it has always been a bonus.
The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country
American Legion Legionnaire