IRP on a vista -A Hiking trip in the gorges of Appalachia

For non-MRE, non-ration topics
FREMONT

IRP on a vista -A Hiking trip in the gorges of Appalachia

Post by FREMONT » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:19 am

*Warning! Wall of Text ahead!*
In June of last year I went hiking for about a week in the Appalachian mountains with a number of rations to serve as my main source of food. I also went to the Gulf Coast that same month too. Since I didn't review the rations I decided to dump the photos here. If the photographs appear sideways, I recommend clicking on them to get the best view.
IMG_0492.JPG
The rations for the trip consisted of mostly US MREs, a single Lithuanian Dry Ration, and a VV MVD IRP. Notice the tent rain fly, sprawling out of my backpack. I never owned a hammock until recently. I got a cheap "2 person" hammock off ebay for $15 USD and a Emu strap for trees. I didn't buy a hammock rain fly because I thought I would't need such a device, needless to say I regret that decision. The tent rain fly made a terrible choice. It drooped down on me while i tried to sleep, trapping heat inside my hammock making my nights unbearable. If I slept without it, I ran into the problems of being cold, bit by bugs (damn mosquitoes to the deepest, darkest, and confined spaces of hell!) , and getting rained on. One day I was taking a leak at the end of the parking lot that was near our basecamp, which was near the edge of a hill (like everything else with the region). Looking don the hill I spot an abandoned fireplace that looks like it had only been used once. Small pieces of logs and wood laid nearby. Near the fire place was a small black bag with an Emu brand logo on it. Lo and behold, it was a hammock rain fly! I kid you guys not. It was brand new and unused. The para-cord ropes for the fly were still tied together, the steaks were in their bags, and the fly was folded up. It hadn't even been used, yet someone abandoned it. The campsite where I found it seemed to be set up be an amateur. The hill seemed to be a steep gradient and too close to the parking lot. the only other things I found were burnt trash in the fireplace. My guess is that the camper got scared left in a hurry, they couldn't have picked a worse spot.
IMG_0493.JPG
Unfortunately, a package of crackers and an entree did not survive their trip to the US. When I got the IRP, it arrived in a box without any sort of packaging peanuts, Styrofoam, or anything.
IMG_0500.JPG
I couldn't upload any panoramic photographs from my hiking trip onto the website, sadly, they're my only high quality photos I took before my cellphone's battery died :cry: . The hiking was great, there were many cliffs and rock formations that provided ample views. The forestry remained mostly untouched by invasive vegetation such as honeysuckle. Often we would pick wild blueberries and eat them. When it rained and stormed, the towering trees and their canopies provided sufficient cover from sunlight and rain.Creeks provided sufficient amounts of fresh water. There was one area with a nice sized creek that locals and tourist would go to swim, a large boulder that seemed about 20+ feet (6.096 meters) tall served as a high dive for the creek. People swam and played in the water while horsefly would try to feast on them.
IMG_0502.JPG
One day I feasted out of the VV MVD IRP I got. Despite the 2 casualties from shipping, I still made a feast out of the remainder of the food. During the day I snacked on the best fruit bar I have ever tasted. AN apricot fruit bar that caused my taste buds to dance. I need to find out where to buy them, I think I made a thread about it a while back :?. At breakfast I ate Kasha, it was the first time I had buckwheat. It seemed odd at first but it certainly grew on me, to a point where I bought a a bag of it later. For dinner I sat upon a vista with endless trees at my view, I was told to eat away from everyone else due to the possibility of attracting bears with the amount of crumbs and food packages I might leave at the campsite. The wind proved to be a nuisance when lighting my fuel tablets. I almost used up all of my windproof (or are they water proof?) matches before igniting the tablet. Vegetable ragout, canned cheese, liver pate', beef/potato stew, a feast for a well spent day's end - despite the wind, ants, and pieces of broken glass on the trail left by previous ass hat litterbugs. The sunset was gorgeous (the vista was at a gorge).
IMG_0091.JPG
Edit-Cat tax
It was a great trip, I highly recommend camping in this region if any of you get the chance. The hills are high, the water was cool, the rock climbing was crazy, and the ginger ale was cheap. Too bad that I couldn't share the couple panoramas that I took, and the fact that my phone had died. I have more photos from vacation in the gulf coast that are somewhat ration related if you guys want me to share. ~ Cheers!
Good luck and may your rations stay unspoiled!

housil

Re: IRP on a vista -A Hiking trip in the gorges of Appalachia

Post by housil » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:01 am

Thx for the pictures. I like to see more of your campsites

FREMONT

Post by FREMONT » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:04 pm

housil wrote:Thx for the pictures. I like to see more of your campsites
My phone had died within the first couple days while we were hiking. We originally planned to hike continuously for the duration of the trip but we decided to house most gear at a basecamp in one are and do day hikes at other trails. The area on top of of the gorge, where I took the picture of the IRP on the vista, is a place where we spent 1 or 2 nights. I has accidently found a geo-cache hidden in a opening underneath a cliff side while exploring the area below.

Here's a video i found to give a better idea on what the gorge was like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5nBSvm39gg

At 1:20 in the video, is the same horizon/landscape I took a picture of shown above. Too bad people carved their names in the rocks over the years, it dampens the nice views.

sourwes
eBay name: sourwes

Post by sourwes » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:50 pm

Very nice pics, thx for sharing! I live in the appalachians in WV, and we should have 1 leg longer than the other it's so uneven here lol. As for the IRP crackers, I've eaten a ton of IRPs and don't remember even 1 meal not having some broken crackers in it :D
it is what it is....

FREMONT

Post by FREMONT » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:54 pm

sourwes wrote:Very nice pics, thx for sharing! I live in the appalachians in WV, and we should have 1 leg longer than the other it's so uneven here lol. As for the IRP crackers, I've eaten a ton of IRPs and don't remember even 1 meal not having some broken crackers in it :D
All the crackers seemed to be stale in the IRP. The "panzercrackers" or what the ones for the Lithuanian dry ration were delicious and I think they are also distributed in Polish and a few other rations I think. Also during my trip one of the US military issue MREs didn't have a flameless ration heater. It was a 2012 chicken breast with the garlic and herb seasoning from the "B" case. I dont know if thats how it was suppose to be but it made dinner less enjoyable.

Also, I live within the Ohio river valley so we don't get as many steep hills his but it sure isn't flat around here lol!

housil

Post by housil » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:31 am

When we were in the Smokey Mountains, we walked the Trail for just a couple of steps...
BF56.jpg
BF57.jpg