Your recording setup, camera, editing software

For non-MRE, non-ration topics
Synthpeter

Your recording setup, camera, editing software

Post by Synthpeter » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:37 pm

I've gotten a couple of questions about what camera and software I use to I thought it might be useful and/or interesting to see what your recording setup looks like and what you use.
Some people use dedicated cameras, some use smartphones, some use iPads or similar. Modern phones/pads are very capable recorders, though I'm not sure how well they hold up during long sessions and the microphone might not be good.
I for one would be curious to see what your setup looks like (a photo of your "work area" with the camera setup visible in the photo). If there's another thread like this then sorry :)
My description is overly detailed, typically me, but feel free to just post a photo and/or write what camera and software you use without all the extra babbling :)

Camera: I am using a Canon Legria HF M56 (I think USA has Vixia models, with Legria sold in Europe/Asia) bought new in 2014 for ~370 Euro to use for other youtube stuff and it was out of production already back then. I chose it because at the time it had a slightly larger sensor than other similarly priced 1080p capable cameras, which I assumed was better for low light conditions. For a given sensor technology, a bigger sensor = higher light sensitivity = less image noise = better quality.

Software: For whatever reason I have Adobe Premiere Elements 11 (budget version of Adobe Premiere) also from 2014 I think. $80

Here's the desk where I record my reviews.
Normally this is where I do my synthesizer/electronics repairs and stuff, but it also happens to be the most suitable (empty) surface in the apartment for recording ration reviews.
(Yes, the desk, bookshelf and lamps are all IKEA. I AM Swedish after all.)

The (overhead) camera can be seen mounted on a flexible arm (Manfrotto 237HD) attached to the bookshelf in front of me with a clamp (Manfrotto super clamp 035) and perhaps some adapters... I don't remember...
At the end of the arm is a quick-release (search for "323 quick release" on eBay) base and the corresponding quick-release plate is mounted on the camera.

I also have an older Manfrotto tripod with the same quick-release plate on it so I can, if needed to, just attach the camera to it quickly and easily, but so far I find the overhead camera isn't in the way as much, though the angle can be a bit annoying because you never get to see drinking glasses etc from the side, only the surface... On the other hand I don't need a backdrop/screen to cover all the clutter in the bookshelf :)

What's your setup like?

Edit: Please note this is not a bragging thread where the guy with the most fancy equipment wins. It's purely informational. In fact, if somebody who makes reviews has really low-cost equipment and still does great stuff with that, even better! I get more impressed by that and it will also help others who are starting out realize it's not that important to have expensive stuff. You just need to make the best with what you have. I just tend to go a bit overboard with expenses and still not get as good results as someone who's spent a fraction of what I have. So, don't be shy or ashamed to let us and others know what you have!
Last edited by Synthpeter on Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

steve1989
eBay name: -

Re: Your recording setup, camera, editing software

Post by steve1989 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:00 am

Man, that is a really nice setup! :D

I use a Canon SX700
Windows Movie Maker
$15 Targus Tripod
2 triple bulb lamps :idea: :idea: :idea:
1 overhead bulb and one stretchy reach (..?) bulb lamp :idea:
$1ea black background posterboard from Walmart - I have spent approx $600 so far in replaced background - it soils fast from Ration crumbs/spills.
I like the satisfying feeling I get when putting down new surface right before a shoot.

elandil

Post by elandil » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:19 pm

LG G2 on a flexible gooseneck clamp.
2x clamp lights with 40 and 60 watt equivalent bulbs

Indoor, I use a folding card table, $20 from the dollar store, covered with either a shemagh or the aforementioned poster board. Outdoors I have a nice firepit that works to hold the clamps and provide a steady surface. I have to keep things portable.

Synthpeter

Post by Synthpeter » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:23 pm

Come on, don't be shy.
I'm pretty sure there are more than 3 people on the forum recording reviews ;)

BTemple
eBay name: btem9257

Post by BTemple » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:45 pm

Haven't been doing reviews long enough to really get into the great detail that others have.

I use my Samsung Galaxy S5 phone to shoot the videos, attached to a Peyou 50" aluminium tripod I got on Amazon for $35.
As of yet I don't use any additional microphones or lighting. I shoot on the table in our dining area next to the kitchen, and the light is either the standard hanging light fixture above the table or natural light coming in through the sliding French Doors next to the table, depending on the time of day or weather outside.
I don't use and backdrops or lay down anything underneath the shooting surface, but I may play with that just to see how much of a difference it makes.

For editing I use Movavi Video Editor 12, the full edition cost me about $50 and I love it.
After I export the file from Movavi then I run it through a free computer app called Handbrake and it compresses the file to make it quicker to upload onto YouTube. It's cut my upload time by about 75%, which is rather significant.
In the immortal words of President Harrison Ford, Air Force One: Peace is not the absence of war... it is the presence of justice.

Biobrew

Post by Biobrew » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:20 pm

I'm glad this thread was started, I was wondering how all of you recorded your reviews. For some reason I was imagining folks wearing GoPros strapped to their heads, although I guess that would have resulted in a video that was shaky and jumpy - kind of like the movie Blair Witch Project , but with MREs.

gundog4314
eBay name: gundog4314

Post by gundog4314 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:53 pm

There have been a few threads discussing this very topic but I imagine most of us aren't too fancy. I use budget friendly or free stuff.

My table I use is the same my father made when I was a kid so I'll never get rid of it just for sentimental reasons. It rests on a work station/ workbench which underneath I have 8 storage bins full of rations to review and for trades.

Camera is a simple cheap Cannon Vixia 400? I got on sale 3 years ago, I am looking to upgrade with something with a remote which will help streamline my editing out all the clicks from having to turn the camera off and on manually.

Lighting is simply the florescent lights that came with the house in my man cave.

Audio is the mic that is built into the Vixia

When I take pics or stills I use my iPhone5S.

I have 3 tripods each set for the correct height for my work station, out on the deck and the kitchen cause it's a pain in the ass to adjust the legs for each place. You can find second hand ones at most Goodwill, Salvation Army's in the electronic section. I got all three for like 5 bucks apiece.

Editing software is Windows Live Movie Maker. I tried iMovie (preferred PC..sorry Apple) and tried Power Director 14 but honestly I don't have the patience for it so it sits collecting dust.

Thumbnails I use powerpoint then blow it up and take a screen shot, then resize it for 1080x720 so it fits in the cell for youtube.

All the music I use or at least 98% of it is the youtube audio library. Just about any other music source is guaranteed to get you a copyright claim.

Another tip is always watermark or copyright your vids either on the vid or in the description box. Took me awhile to figure that out but will save you some issues when someone uses your content especially if they have is set for monitization. I don't make a ton of $$$ for doing vids but I'd rather viewers watch it on my channel than Herbies if you know what I'm saying.

BTemple

Post by BTemple » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:16 pm

gundog4314 wrote:There have been a few threads discussing this very topic but I imagine most of us aren't too fancy. I use budget friendly or free stuff.

My table I use is the same my father made when I was a kid so I'll never get rid of it just for sentimental reasons. It rests on a work station/ workbench which underneath I have 8 storage bins full of rations to review and for trades.

Camera is a simple cheap Cannon Vixia 400? I got on sale 3 years ago, I am looking to upgrade with something with a remote which will help streamline my editing out all the clicks from having to turn the camera off and on manually.

Lighting is simply the florescent lights that came with the house in my man cave.

Audio is the mic that is built into the Vixia

When I take pics or stills I use my iPhone5S.

I have 3 tripods each set for the correct height for my work station, out on the deck and the kitchen cause it's a pain in the ass to adjust the legs for each place. You can find second hand ones at most Goodwill, Salvation Army's in the electronic section. I got all three for like 5 bucks apiece.

Editing software is Windows Live Movie Maker. I tried iMovie (preferred PC..sorry Apple) and tried Power Director 14 but honestly I don't have the patience for it so it sits collecting dust.

Thumbnails I use powerpoint then blow it up and take a screen shot, then resize it for 1080x720 so it fits in the cell for youtube.

All the music I use or at least 98% of it is the youtube audio library. Just about any other music source is guaranteed to get you a copyright claim.

Another tip is always watermark or copyright your vids either on the vid or in the description box. Took me awhile to figure that out but will save you some issues when someone uses your content especially if they have is set for monitization. I don't make a ton of $$$ for doing vids but I'd rather viewers watch it on my channel than Herbies if you know what I'm saying.
How do you go about watermarking your videos on YouTube?
In the immortal words of President Harrison Ford, Air Force One: Peace is not the absence of war... it is the presence of justice.

gundog4314
eBay name: gundog4314

Post by gundog4314 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:03 pm

I simply make a caption on Windows Movie Maker reduce it to about 12/13 and stick it in the top left corner or the whole vid. Kinda of the downfall of Movie Maker since I essentially have to save the vid twice. Once with any comments, intro, and Thanks to's then the second with gundog4314 the whole length. Which is why power director and other editing nicer over Windows.

BTemple

Post by BTemple » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:35 am

gundog4314 wrote:I simply make a caption on Windows Movie Maker reduce it to about 12/13 and stick it in the top left corner or the whole vid. Kinda of the downfall of Movie Maker since I essentially have to save the vid twice. Once with any comments, intro, and Thanks to's then the second with gundog4314 the whole length. Which is why power director and other editing nicer over Windows.
Oh ok, thanks. I use Movavi but I'm sure the concept should be the same.