New guy here

For non-MRE, non-ration topics
Seth711
eBay name: Taurus.38

New guy here

Post by Seth711 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:56 am

Hey everyone, pretty excited to be here. I have just recently gotten out of the US Army, I served as a UH-60 Crew Chief. I stumbled upon Steve on YouTube and became intrigued in MRE's from around the world. I couldn't even tell you how many hours I've watched Steve on YouTube at this point. I was always the weird guy who would've much rather ate and MRE than go to the DFAC. I even hoarded uneaten packages in my barracks room for later. Haha! I was hoping to get some guidance on finding some reasonably priced and still edible MRE's. I wouldn't say I'm a collector, but I do want to try them. Then maybe I could send packaging to a collector? Not really sure how it works. But I look forward to learning more, and hopefully tasting more!

Also, word on the block is the is a new hash brown MRE and my buddy at Fort Hood is supposed to bring one home with him for me at Christmas!

-Seth

BTemple
eBay name: btem9257

Re: New guy here

Post by BTemple » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:10 am

Welcome to the community man!
Always proud to have members of the armed forces here!
In the immortal words of President Harrison Ford, Air Force One: Peace is not the absence of war... it is the presence of justice.

rabidwolf

Post by rabidwolf » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:07 pm

Welcome to the forums, and thank you for your service. You aren't alone in your preference for MRE and hoarding them. I have a friend, who was/is pretty much as you described yourself. When he was actively serving in the Marine Corps. You are correct about the new Hash Brown MRE menu. I have a couple of them. Just haven't gotten around to trying them.

Seth711

Post by Seth711 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:09 pm

Thanks for the welcome! Any tips on how to get started around here? Any recommended first buys?

rabidwolf

Post by rabidwolf » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:48 pm

About the only advice I can think of to offer at this time. If you happen to be wanting certain MRE components, but not the whole MRE. Go check out thepiccenter.com. They carry a good variety of mains, sides, spreads, and other items. They also run some good sales every so often. Lastly, IIRC, you can order custom cases

As for other means of aquiring MREs. Ask around here, shop EBay, Amazon. Get a feel for the average spread of MRE and shipping prices. How fresh the rations are. That will help you figure out if you are going after a good deal.

shawker71
eBay name: hawkermb

Post by shawker71 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:03 pm

Welcome. My best finds are gun shows and survival expos. The buy/sell/trade is great here for most needs.
The first to bring you the MRE pizza stone.

parafireboy
eBay name: parafireboy

Post by parafireboy » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:25 pm

Welcome to the group, Seth! There's a great group of people on here, and my advice would be to just settle in, read the threads and join discussions. I think you'll find the group to be very welcoming, especially to someone who shows enthusiasm for our crazy little hobby, and will in-turn be glad to help you get started or point you in the right direction. Welcome aboard! :)

FREMONT

Post by FREMONT » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:30 pm

Seth711 wrote:Hey everyone, pretty excited to be here. I have just recently gotten out of the US Army, I served as a UH-60 Crew Chief. I stumbled upon Steve on YouTube and became intrigued in MRE's from around the world. I couldn't even tell you how many hours I've watched Steve on YouTube at this point. I was always the weird guy who would've much rather ate and MRE than go to the DFAC. I even hoarded uneaten packages in my barracks room for later. Haha! I was hoping to get some guidance on finding some reasonably priced and still edible MRE's. I wouldn't say I'm a collector, but I do want to try them. Then maybe I could send packaging to a collector? Not really sure how it works. But I look forward to learning more, and hopefully tasting more!

Also, word on the block is the is a new hash brown MRE and my buddy at Fort Hood is supposed to bring one home with him for me at Christmas!

-Seth
Welcome! There are many collectors form the US and abroad willing to trade/sell rations from different origins. eBay tends to have crates of MREs for sale. The less common ones such as FSRs, MCWs, LRRPs, and Halal MREs tend to go for more heftier prices.

also, what types of emergency rations did UH-60 crewmen get issued?
Good luck and may your rations stay unspoiled!

Seth711

Post by Seth711 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:56 pm

FREMONT wrote:
Seth711 wrote:Hey everyone, pretty excited to be here. I have just recently gotten out of the US Army, I served as a UH-60 Crew Chief. I stumbled upon Steve on YouTube and became intrigued in MRE's from around the world. I couldn't even tell you how many hours I've watched Steve on YouTube at this point. I was always the weird guy who would've much rather ate and MRE than go to the DFAC. I even hoarded uneaten packages in my barracks room for later. Haha! I was hoping to get some guidance on finding some reasonably priced and still edible MRE's. I wouldn't say I'm a collector, but I do want to try them. Then maybe I could send packaging to a collector? Not really sure how it works. But I look forward to learning more, and hopefully tasting more!

-Seth
Welcome! There are many collectors form the US and abroad willing to trade/sell rations from different origins. eBay tends to have crates of MREs for sale. The less common ones such as FSRs, MCWs, LRRPs, and Halal MREs tend to go for more heftier prices.

I'm so sorry for the almost year long delay.. it's been a crazy year, currently starting a new job and have a baby coming in a few weeks! We weren't issued anything out of the ordinary. Just pick an MRE and go. That may be different on deployment, I never spent time overseas. I have a friend in Afghanistan right now, so I'll ask him and get back to you!

FREMONT

Post by FREMONT » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:10 pm

Seth711 wrote:
FREMONT wrote:

-Seth

I'm so sorry for the almost year long delay.. it's been a crazy year, currently starting a new job and have a baby coming in a few weeks! We weren't issued anything out of the ordinary. Just pick an MRE and go. That may be different on deployment, I never spent time overseas. I have a friend in Afghanistan right now, so I'll ask him and get back to you!
Congrats on the new job and incoming baby! It's okay for the delay, it seems that I, too have been busy with a new job and post-secondary education. I hope you're friend is safe in Afghanistan, it's a whole other world over there!

As for the rations for helicopter flight crews, I thought they were issued emergency rations similar to aircraft pilots and crews. But then again, a helicopter is a different beast. Good luck with life!
~Cheers!
Good luck and may your rations stay unspoiled!