Military Background?

For non-MRE, non-ration topics
BTemple
eBay name: btem9257

Re: Military Background?

Post by BTemple » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:37 pm

FREMONT wrote:Grandfather volunteered to the Navy during the Korean war because he didn't want to get drafted to fight (his cousin was wounded in Korea if i'm not mistaken). He sailed all over the world and never once anchored in Korea. My other grandfather was drafted during peace time oddly enough, he was near the end of completing firefighting school when this happened. A good friend of his was already in the national guard. his friend and some officer pulled some strings or something (I forget this part of the story). But after his completion of firefighting school he was then part of the national guard for a number of years whilst being a firefighter. My grandfather's uncle was a bombardier in a B25 and was shot down over Germany or North Africa (Condolence on telegraph message is from commanding general in North Africa) he also had an air medal with two oak leaf clusters). I don't know who else served in my family but I am somehow related to "Mad" Anthony Wayne. As for myself, I haven't decided to join due to tinnitus and a sensitive left ear. There goes my plan was to go through college then joining up as an officer later on :evil:

Oddly enough, none of this attributed for my interest of MREs. My grandfather told stories of serving in the national guard during the winter, they would heat up C-rations using the engines of trucks
I had planned on joining the Canadian Army out of High School, back in 2002, had gone through the preliminary stages of being part of the Regular Officers Training Program where I'd go to University in the Fall and Winter and train during the Summer, and then however many years it took to get my Degree I would have to give back to the Army at least. Army didn't want me to become a Pharmacist, as was my plan, but instead they told me there was a seat saved for me at the Royal Military College if I wanted to go become an Armoured Officer. The Afghan War had just started and I wasn't keen on getting blown up by an IED so I decided to just go to the University instead.... 4 degrees later, including a Masters in History, I'm a High School History teacher.
In the immortal words of President Harrison Ford, Air Force One: Peace is not the absence of war... it is the presence of justice.

FREMONT

Post by FREMONT » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:54 pm

BTemple wrote:
FREMONT wrote:Grandfather volunteered to the Navy during the Korean war because he didn't want to get drafted to fight (his cousin was wounded in Korea if i'm not mistaken). He sailed all over the world and never once anchored in Korea. My other grandfather was drafted during peace time oddly enough, he was near the end of completing firefighting school when this happened. A good friend of his was already in the national guard. his friend and some officer pulled some strings or something (I forget this part of the story). But after his completion of firefighting school he was then part of the national guard for a number of years whilst being a firefighter. My grandfather's uncle was a bombardier in a B25 and was shot down over Germany or North Africa (Condolence on telegraph message is from commanding general in North Africa) he also had an air medal with two oak leaf clusters). I don't know who else served in my family but I am somehow related to "Mad" Anthony Wayne. As for myself, I haven't decided to join due to tinnitus and a sensitive left ear. There goes my plan was to go through college then joining up as an officer later on :evil:

Oddly enough, none of this attributed for my interest of MREs. My grandfather told stories of serving in the national guard during the winter, they would heat up C-rations using the engines of trucks
I had planned on joining the Canadian Army out of High School, back in 2002, had gone through the preliminary stages of being part of the Regular Officers Training Program where I'd go to University in the Fall and Winter and train during the Summer, and then however many years it took to get my Degree I would have to give back to the Army at least. Army didn't want me to become a Pharmacist, as was my plan, but instead they told me there was a seat saved for me at the Royal Military College if I wanted to go become an Armoured Officer. The Afghan War had just started and I wasn't keen on getting blown up by an IED so I decided to just go to the University instead.... 4 degrees later, including a Masters in History, I'm a High School History teacher.
It's nice that you have become a history teacher. In your curriculum, are you required to teach who won the war of 1812? :wink:
Good luck and may your rations stay unspoiled!

BlackDogBob

Post by BlackDogBob » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:04 pm

Spot87 wrote:
BlackDogBob wrote:
Spot87 wrote:Currently serving in the Australian Army. I did 4 years in Armoured Corps and now I'm a fitter. I've eaten my fair share of CR1Ms and CR5Ms but in armoured we always took jack rations (store bought) out field and rarely touched the CR5Ms.
Bro! Would love to get a coupe, CR5Ms to the States and into the hands of people like Gundog and Steve.
I'll see what i can do next year. Maybe see Gundog and Steve do a CR5M review together. It's a big ration.
If we can get one before the next meetup we could get 4 or 5 reviewers together to review it.
Have German,Russian,Canadian,Lithuanian,Dutch, Israeli,Spanish,HDRs,LRPs,French,US RCWs,FSRs,Italian,Croatian, Polish,Aussie, Czech, Malaysian, Swedish, Australian and Norwegian Arctics.

BTemple

Post by BTemple » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:06 pm

FREMONT wrote:
BTemple wrote:

It's nice that you have become a history teacher. In your curriculum, are you required to teach who won the war of 1812? :wink:

Hahaha Sadly the War of 1812 doesn't get dealt with a whole lot here in the Newfoundland curriculum. But when it is brought up I usually explain that the US won the naval aspects of the war but Canada/Britain, by and large, won the land battles. The main monument to the War of 1812 here in Canada actually uses a Newfoundland Regiment soldier as its model.
In the immortal words of President Harrison Ford, Air Force One: Peace is not the absence of war... it is the presence of justice.

FREMONT

Post by FREMONT » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:45 pm

BTemple wrote:
FREMONT wrote:
BTemple wrote:

Hahaha Sadly the War of 1812 doesn't get dealt with a whole lot here in the Newfoundland curriculum. But when it is brought up I usually explain that the US won the naval aspects of the war but Canada/Britain, by and large, won the land battles. The main monument to the War of 1812 here in Canada actually uses a Newfoundland Regiment soldier as its model.
It's sad that this war isn't covered much in either Canadian or US curriculum (usually varies by state). Heck, when I took standard US history in high school it didn't even cover Native Americans! Meanwhile the civil rights movement gets an entire chapter. The American civil war is barely even covered in History curriculum also. It's sad that pre/post colonial history or anything related to westward expiation or pre-industrial revolution is looked over. meanwhile when I took college level European history, everything was more in depth and history had better overall coverage. Nearly 700 years history for entire continent was better taught compared to a couple hundred years of domestic history. Rather disappointing I might say.

BTemple

Post by BTemple » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:13 pm

FREMONT wrote:
BTemple wrote:
FREMONT wrote:

It's sad that this war isn't covered much in either Canadian or US curriculum (usually varies by state). Heck, when I took standard US history in high school it didn't even cover Native Americans! Meanwhile the civil rights movement gets an entire chapter. The American civil war is barely even covered in History curriculum also. It's sad that pre/post colonial history or anything related to westward expiation or pre-industrial revolution is looked over. meanwhile when I took college level European history, everything was more in depth and history had better overall coverage. Nearly 700 years history for entire continent was better taught compared to a couple hundred years of domestic history. Rather disappointing I might say.
Yes once you get to University the courses get a lot better in focus and scope. Social Studies/History curriculum here in Newfoundland, from Grade 7-12, seems to mostly deal with the same stuff: Lead up to WW1, WW1, Revolution in Russia and rise of Fascism, WW2, Cold War, Post-Colonial Africa, Asia and Middle East, and Peacekeeping/End of Cold War.
I did my Masters Degree on the Crusades, primarily dealing with the actual Chronicles about the Crusades

FREMONT

Post by FREMONT » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:05 pm

BTemple wrote:
FREMONT wrote:
BTemple wrote:

Yes once you get to University the courses get a lot better in focus and scope. Social Studies/History curriculum here in Newfoundland, from Grade 7-12, seems to mostly deal with the same stuff: Lead up to WW1, WW1, Revolution in Russia and rise of Fascism, WW2, Cold War, Post-Colonial Africa, Asia and Middle East, and Peacekeeping/End of Cold War.
I did my Masters Degree on the Crusades, primarily dealing with the actual Chronicles about the Crusades

DEUS VULT
?

noderaser
eBay name: noderaser

Post by noderaser » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:37 pm

I am currently a communications technician for the Oregon Air National Guard, full-time. Between my dad and uncles, cousins, etc., the family has representation from every branch; one Uncle was a CSM with 42 years of service in active Army and reserve. Although, I got my start with brown-bag MREs from one of my Dad's coworkers, and my neighbor who was a LtCol in the Army guard.
I'm using my computer's spare resources to help find cures for diseases, analyze astronomical data, render 3D animations, simulate new materials and run climate models--what is your computer doing? http://boinc.berkeley.edu/ Or ask me for help!

poorman1

Post by poorman1 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:18 pm

3 Uncles severed in the Army and Air Force , I was not able to enlist. I went into Law Enforcement / Medic 33yrs so far.

ironwarning

Post by ironwarning » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:20 am

Grand father was in the Royal logistics corps building bridges etc out in Italy and Greece. Funny story but after some research my grandfather and my wife's might if been on the same projects. I managed to get uk mod to release his army record quite a read
Regards
IronWarning
Check Out my YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGwpuN ... tb9D9Vwqeg