making my own rp or mre

For non-MRE, non-ration topics
ChrissaDiehl79

making my own rp or mre

Post by ChrissaDiehl79 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:09 pm

Im thinking of buying the stuff to make some mre or rp (ration packs) for camping and fishing or biking . and any advice anyone could give would be highly Appreciated. one question I have is can I use a regular vacuum seal on Mylar bags
==]Only the ones how have trained there body and skill will surval in) that is life

shawker71
eBay name: hawkermb

Re: making my own rp or mre

Post by shawker71 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:16 pm

There is a whole thread where members did as a contest. Their whole menus are listed. Maybe you can get some ideas from it.
The first to bring you the MRE pizza stone.

parafireboy
eBay name: parafireboy

Post by parafireboy » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:19 pm

If you're looking for individual MRE / ration components to build your own, theepicenter.com has a good variety.

http://theepicenter.com/

Hope this helps! :)

elandil

Post by elandil » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:20 am

ChrissaDiehl79 wrote:Im thinking of buying the stuff to make some mre or rp (ration packs) for camping and fishing or biking . and any advice anyone could give would be highly Appreciated. one question I have is can I use a regular vacuum seal on Mylar bags
The issue I find with using mylar is that it's difficult to get a good vacuum on the bags. I used plain Vac-seal bags (generic no-name off Amazon) for sealing my ration components.

If you're talking about making your own entrees, no, you cannot. For that you would need to pressure can, and you would also need special bags. It's possible to do, but just cheaper to order from theepicenter like Parafireboy said.

hannonmc

Post by hannonmc » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:36 pm

I 2nd the use of Epicenter for your components.

Treesuit and I had done our own 24 hr ration packs that turned out rather well. He often had access to a lot of misc components.

When I built them on my own, I used the Epicenter.

We also used standard vacuum pack bags. We would also include a list of contents visible through the bag.

BlackDogBob

Post by BlackDogBob » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 am

If you use Mylar, make sure of the following items:

Only use dry goods.

Use the black or white 4+ mil bags with a gusset (stand up pouch) and are reclosable.

Whatever oxygen absorber is called for with the size bag you are using, use the next size up.

Best, and cheapest, way to seal the Mylar is to a hair straightener. This allows you to get the same amount of heat on both sides of the bag at the same time.

I have been doing this for years both for personal and commercial use. And have found that it works best. If you use the bags I mentioned earlier, you can pour hot water into the bags and be able to eat straight from the bags. I did a YouTube video showing one of the kits we made a year ago. I will find and post it here.
Have German,Russian,Canadian,Lithuanian,Dutch, Israeli,Spanish,HDRs,LRPs,French,US RCWs,FSRs,Italian,Croatian, Polish,Aussie, Czech, Malaysian, Swedish, Australian and Norwegian Arctics.

BlackDogBob

Post by BlackDogBob » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:05 am

This video shows the original (generation one) kits. We later changed to the stand up black Mylar pouches. We eventually stopped producing them due to the cost to make. To sell them at an affordable price we just didn't hit the margins we wanted. But you get the idea.

Have German,Russian,Canadian,Lithuanian,Dutch, Israeli,Spanish,HDRs,LRPs,French,US RCWs,FSRs,Italian,Croatian, Polish,Aussie, Czech, Malaysian, Swedish, Australian and Norwegian Arctics.

ChrissaDiehl79

Post by ChrissaDiehl79 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:22 pm

thank you for all of you suggent and comment I will read ever thing and and cheach out the viidos I get mylar bag from a couple of souces
==]Only the ones how have trained there body and skill will surval in) that is life