Google Translate

For non-MRE, non-ration topics
shawker71
eBay name: hawkermb

Google Translate

Post by shawker71 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:35 pm

Do any of y'all use the Google Translate when checking out foreign rations? I tried it out on a Russian and Kazakh using my camera and it magically translates the language for you to take the guess work out of the mystery cans/packets. Just hold the camera over the word and it translates into your chosen language. Figure I am late to this but if not it is well worth using.
The first to bring you the MRE pizza stone.

elandil

Re: Google Translate

Post by elandil » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:42 am

yes. Only downside is accuracy can be hit or miss, but have been using Translate for a while. It's gotten better from where it was, so I figure it should keep improving.

parafireboy
eBay name: parafireboy

Post by parafireboy » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:56 pm

Yes, I've used it quite a bit. Like elandil mentioned, it can be hit-or-miss sometimes, but usually works pretty well and at least gives you an idea of what you're eating.

jfko6
eBay name: jfk9

Post by jfko6 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:26 pm

I tried formal study of a new language using "translate". Short of it is, it's not good for that purpose.
The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country
American Legion Legionnaire

shawker71
eBay name: hawkermb

Post by shawker71 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:00 pm

It does a literal translation which is sometimes not useful at all. It did help me translate the contents of an MRE and instructions on how to mix drink, use FRH etc into Romanian for a friend.
The first to bring you the MRE pizza stone.

BTemple
eBay name: btem9257

Post by BTemple » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:20 pm

It was VERY helpful with Russian rations. Just that the focus has to be absolutely perfect to work well. Not always easy with the glare from packaging.
In the immortal words of President Harrison Ford, Air Force One: Peace is not the absence of war... it is the presence of justice.

FREMONT

Post by FREMONT » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:48 am

What's the camera translator application you all are speaking of? I would love to use it for future endeavors and rations,
Good luck and may your rations stay unspoiled!

jfko6
eBay name: jfk9

Post by jfko6 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:48 am

There is a language translator for Apple iPad and Phones. It worked reasonably well when I used it via voice.
The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country
American Legion Legionnaire

parafireboy
eBay name: parafireboy

Post by parafireboy » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:07 pm

FREMONT wrote:What's the camera translator application you all are speaking of? I would love to use it for future endeavors and rations,
I'm not sure what operating system your phone / tablet uses, but just go to the appropriate app store and search for "Google Translate".

prado67
eBay name: Praddo83

Post by prado67 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:04 pm

Hi. What specifically you need to translate?
parafireboy wrote:
FREMONT wrote:What's the camera translator application you all are speaking of? I would love to use it for future endeavors and rations,
I'm not sure what operating system your phone / tablet uses, but just go to the appropriate app store and search for "Google Translate".
Dear forumites, upon purchase of rations I don't bear responsibility for passing by a parcel of customs authorities of the USA,Canada and other countries. You make all purchases at own risk. Please consider it at the order of rations :wink: