Need idea about too tight cot cover

For non-MRE, non-ration topics
housil

Need idea about too tight cot cover

Post by housil » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:55 am

I´m now in military equipment for +30 years and when ever sleeping on a cot, it´s pretty hard to stretch the cover to get the square tubes in place.

I have one cot, the cover is so tight, it bends the whole cot, once you made it to get the tubes in place:
FB1.jpg
FB2.jpg
FB3.jpg
FB5.jpg
Beside is another, older cot with a little "worn" cover:
FB4.jpg
It´s OK to set up and it doesn´t bend the whole cot.

Have you guys any idea how to "stretch" the cover permanently? How did you do it back in your days in the military? I always need a crowbar to set up the cot to stretch the cover :shock:

cavguy

Re: Need idea about too tight cot cover

Post by cavguy » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:45 pm

Oooh the old military cot! This was the problem every time when we used them in the Army. As a result we learned to just sleep on the ground anyways.

As far as I know, there is no way to stretch the fabric out.

What I would do is first put the loose bar through the cot fabric on the end, next, wedge the loose bar onto just one of the two ends of the cot, then pull outward toward your body to stretch the cover far enough to set the other side of the loose bar onto the other end of the cot. Then to disassemble just pull outward toward your body on the bar.

You can do that, or honestly some guys don't even attach one of the loose bars at all. I also have never seen a cot damaged from stretching it out and attaching both loose bars, so either way, you are safe I think.

housil

Post by housil » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:08 pm

cavguy wrote:
What I would do is first put the loose bar through the cot fabric on the end, next, wedge the loose bar onto just one of the two ends of the cot, then pull outward toward your body to stretch the cover far enough to set the other side of the loose bar onto the other end of the cot. Then to disassemble just pull outward toward your body on the bar.
Yes, that´s how we do it too but that frame seems to be too long :shock:

At least, I´ll change to positin of the holes and remove some "material" to shorten the frame.

cavguy

Post by cavguy » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:12 pm

Housil, every cot I have seen looks just like yours though and has the same problem, so your not alone. But, it actually should make it easier to remove a small bit of material from the metal sides.

housil

Post by housil » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:45 am

cavguy wrote: to remove a small bit of material from the metal sides.
Too bad you can´t just remove a little of each end due to the hinges
FB6.jpg

parafireboy
eBay name: parafireboy

Post by parafireboy » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:31 am

It's nice to know that this is a universal problem among mil-issue cots. I've got one, and have always had the same problem. I wasn't sure if it was just mine, or if they all had this same issue. I actually broke one of the plastic "lugs" on one end trying to get the bar into place once.

Scotsman1984

Post by Scotsman1984 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:35 pm

Every bloody one i ever set up was like that. Nearly lost a finger tip a few times.
Got me Brew and i will be just fine!

Youtube Scotsman 1984 https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC21nT2 ... 3t0ZfF00Iw
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/scotsman1984

shawker71
eBay name: hawkermb

Post by shawker71 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:18 pm

Any time we had those cots (not often) I would just put the bar through and leave it on top of the frame on the short end. Use that end under your head for a little elevation. Not perfect but it worked for me.
The first to bring you the MRE pizza stone.

shawker71
eBay name: hawkermb

Post by shawker71 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:25 pm

Another thought is to cut the rivets and shorten the sides. Then just drill new holes and use Chicago bolts with some lock-tite to put it back together.
The first to bring you the MRE pizza stone.

housil

Post by housil » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:57 am

shawker71 wrote:Another thought is to cut the rivets and shorten the sides. Then just drill new holes and use Chicago bolts with some lock-tite to put it back together.
I will drill new holes in the middle hinge so I don´t have to replace the rivets and cut the frame there a little.