What is the story of your members name?

For non-MRE, non-ration topics
Yowie

What is the story of your members name?

Post by Yowie » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:13 am

I am feeling very off topic today :wink:
Probably because its raining again and its my first day off in two weeks. I guess I am trying to ignite my imagination.

So how did you come up with your moniker? Is it history, nicknames, fun or something that is close to you?
Heres my story
In Australia a "Yowie" is a legendary creature similar to Bigfoot, Sasquatch or a Yeti. Only seen in grainy photo's poor video and only heard about third hand around campfires.
Near where I grew up is a National Forest called the"Piliga". It is a creepy place and there have been reports of animals being killed in strange ways and the odd stories of weird noises, sightings and rare attacks.
Coincidentally in the Australian Defense Force, A snipers camo suit is called a 'Yowie" suit (like a 'Ghillie' suit).

Yowie

parafireboy
eBay name: parafireboy

Re: What is the story of your members name?

Post by parafireboy » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:01 am

Mine originates back about 15 years when I started using eBay. I was getting frustrated that anything using my last name or remotely close to it was taken, so since I was a paramedic / firefighter at the time, I decided on "parafireboy".

Norton

Post by Norton » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:44 pm

In the 1980'S I was a Motorcycle enthusiast. I went on group rides with mostly Harley riders. Some of the organizers were big on nicknames i.e. Dog, Moose, Catfish, Crazy Henry etc. As I did not ride a HD, rather a Norton I was given the 'not' very original nickname of
Mr Norton.
Norton 1.jpg
Last edited by Norton on Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

steve1989
eBay name: -

Post by steve1989 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:21 pm

Awesome idea for a threat, Yowie! And cool stories/background, guys! :)

Mine is just simple - Steve (My name) and 1989 (Year I was born).

It used to be even more simple - my original screen name on MREinfo was just "Steve" and I was the third guy to join up on the site back in 2005.

I used to visit this site even before the forums were made - and obsessed on this stuff way back then. Some things never change.

Here is a link to a couple of my old posts back in 05':

(always had a thing for smokes inside Rations):
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9

(Technically my first "review"):
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11

(Here are all 14 of my original MREinfo posts - it's been so long I cannot remember why I was inactive until 2010.. probably just being a kid and doing things kids do.):
search.php?author_id=4&sr=posts

gschultz9

Post by gschultz9 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:13 pm

This is a GREAT thread, and I have wondered about some of the members' names over the years! Never really thought to ask anyone about them though! My screen name is obviously the same as my YouTube channel name. Unfortunately I picked it when I first joined YouTube years ago and hadn't even started posting videos. If I had done it now I would have picked something a bit more "appropriate" like, say, "Military Ration Reviews" or some such thing. Well, the name is actually part of my last name and the number 9, which refers to the fact that I'm the last of nine (yes NINE) children that my parents had. That's a little tidbit that I've never shared before. And, like Steve, my original MREInfo name was actually different. When I first joined five years ago or so I used the name "1 Each". It's kind of a strange-seeming name. It was based in the nomenclature of government items that I saw when I was in the service. I remember having a little three-drawer cabinet next to my bunk in the barracks and it had a little label on the back that described it as a "Cabinet, Three-Drawer, 1 Each". I just always found it hilarious (not unlike the infamous "Rock or Something") that so many descriptions had to include the fact that each item was a single item! The oddness of the name and the fact that the YouTube channel took off a bit made me request a name change from kman a couple years ago. Luckily he was happy to oblige!

Oh, and I have to admit that I was familiar with the word Yowie. Outside of military rations one of my biggest all-time interests is Bigfoot/Sasquatch! I remember reading about the Yowie--and many other interestingly-named BHMs (Big Hairy Monsters) from around the world--in books about the subject when I was a kid!

elandil

Post by elandil » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:19 am

Elandil "Strider" Stridarius.
Half-elven mother(Druid), human father(Ranger).
21st Lvl Ranger, 3rd Lvl thief, with inherent psionics.
Dual wield/ambi, archer, expert with thrown daggers.

My first big, main fallback D&D character. Normally used the Strider nickname, added Elandil for the elven sound of it, Stridarius because it sounded like Stradivarius, and I played trumpet in marching band. Once I started getting into the computer world of BBS's and UseNet, other fantasy lovers always snagged Strider before I could get there... But nobody ever seemed to use Elandil....so.... ;)

And when I say D&D....im talking Old School 1st edition Advanced Dungeons & Dragons....which I was introduced to in Boy Scouts, believe it or not... :lol:

[ex-Member1]

Post by [ex-Member1] » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:35 am

I'm big fan of european mithology, pagan religions and folklores so Asger is Nordic variation of my real name. It seems Asger is mostly used in Danemark, and also this is cool as little more info "From the Old Norse name Ásgeirr, derived from the elements áss meaning "god" and geirr meaning "spear".

housil

Post by housil » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:39 am

Living in the wine yards, our house is on a hill = Housil
Spring5.jpg

rabidwolf

Post by rabidwolf » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:58 pm

My name comes from video games.

Years ago, Microsoft ran a series of PC game servers called the Microsoft Zone. Basically, if you bought their game. You have access to free servers. There were a few other games. That did not require a purchase. I played the MechWarrior game series. I joined a Wolf named Clan. You could have any tag you wanted. Just had to have Wolf as part of the name.

I chose Rabid for a few different reasons. It was not a common name, therefore less likely to have already been taken. Plus, it is memorable. I chose to use it as my name on here for similar reasons.
Also, if someone were to stumbled across this website and the forums that knew me from somewhere. They would most likely be able to to identify me by that name. Especially if I referenced them to this site.

I'm not PC gaming these days. Nowadays I am on Xbox One or 360. Under the name KCL RabidWolf.

I even brought this subject up on another thread. To help to get to know some of the forum members. Makes it easier to establish trust needed for trades. So far, Ruleryak is the only forum member on my friends list on Xbox. I sent Kman (I think) a request. If anyone else wants to join and play. Send me a friend request, with a message stating MRE Info along with it. That way I get an idea of where the request came from.

rabidwolf

Post by rabidwolf » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:01 pm

Yowie wrote:I am feeling very off topic today :wink:
Probably because its raining again and its my first day off in two weeks. I guess I am trying to ignite my imagination.

So how did you come up with your moniker? Is it history, nicknames, fun or something that is close to you?
Heres my story
In Australia a "Yowie" is a legendary creature similar to Bigfoot, Sasquatch or a Yeti. Only seen in grainy photo's poor video and only heard about third hand around campfires.
Near where I grew up is a National Forest called the"Piliga". It is a creepy place and there have been reports of animals being killed in strange ways and the odd stories of weird noises, sightings and rare attacks.
Coincidentally in the Australian Defense Force, A snipers camo suit is called a 'Yowie" suit (like a 'Ghillie' suit).

Yowie

I like it. Legends like that can be useful. I have helped people in the past who have children. That are interested in going camping and being in the outdoors. Sometimes, with children being children, they don't always heed the advice or warnings. About such things as staying close to camp at night. Not wandering too far without telling someone where they will be and when they will be back. Especially in unfamiliar terrain. As such, sometimes they meet the Grass Man.
Last edited by rabidwolf on Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.