Asbestos.

For non-MRE, non-ration topics
dirtbag

Asbestos.

Post by dirtbag » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:50 pm

I know this is totally off topic, but this is a very good place to post a warning about asbestos.
I was recently diagnosed with Mesothelioma, a very rare form of lung cancer, caused by asbestos.
My exposure was from asbestos insulation on all four US Navy ships that I served on.
I realize that most of you are too young, but may have relatives that were on older ships, worked in shipyards, heating and air conditioning, aircraft manufacturing, boilers, probably any and all Russian vehicles, buildings, bunkers etc.
If you (or they) get symptoms of a dry cough, shortness of breath, night sweats, pain in the lung/belly area, please get a check-up immediately, it takes 40-50 years to show symptoms, but once diagnosed, life expectancy is expressed in months, not years.
There is NO cure.
All they can do is try to make you feel better.
I'm currently in Stage 2, 9-19 months to go... :(

Take care, all...
Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO

rabidwolf

Re: Asbestos.

Post by rabidwolf » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:31 pm

Damn dirtbag, I wish I knew what I could do or what else to say. I'll keep you in my prayers. Asbestos is some nasty stuff. My old elementary school had some in it. When it was bought years ago. The new owners were renovating it for a restaurant. It took a long time to clear that stuff out.

parafireboy
eBay name: parafireboy

Post by parafireboy » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:10 pm

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that dirtbag. :( :!: I've heard of it before, and knew that it was common in a lot of the older ships in the fleet. Sending thoughts and prayers your way, hang in there.

housil

Post by housil » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:24 am

That´s very sad to read! :cry: :cry:

laughing_man

Post by laughing_man » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:34 pm

I am sorry to hear it... :cry:

steve1989
eBay name: -

Post by steve1989 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:33 pm

Oh man, this is such sad news. I am very sorry to hear about your illness. :cry:
It is something many should all take into consideration on places they have worked or lived that could have been homes to asbestos - very scary, it's like a silent killer.
My thoughts and prayers are with you - really hoping you can stick around with us as long as you can and in the meantime your doc can do what they can to help keep you comfortable.
We love ya, dirbag! Hang in there!

Norton

Post by Norton » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:29 am

I just got to reading this post. I am very sorry to hear this. You men serving aboard ships or in ship yards. Russian Sailors and I assume most of the rest of the world's navies used that stuff. You guys out there serving your country , building thing we needed for defense or just plain needed.
Then you find out this stuff does what it does. Sorry Brother, my prayers are with you.
Last edited by Norton on Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

norge

Post by norge » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:16 pm

Im so sorry to hear this......i lost my uncle a couple years ago from the same thing,he handled asbestos back in the 50s and 60s when it was used in building materials.
I realy hope you still will have more time left With us and Your famely without to much pain my friend!
again im so sorry for Your situation...please take care my friend.

best wishes from Your friend in norway Ken.

rationtin440

Post by rationtin440 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:57 pm

I'm very sorry to hear about your situation dirtbag. I had an uncle who worked for AT&T in their underground communication sites in the 1960s and he was exposed to lead and asbestos. He retired in 1988 and within 2 years he was diagnosed with mesothelioma. Combined with the lead exposure and smoking he passed away in 1992. Very dangerous stuff, all the more so because it takes so long for the stuff to affect a person. You're in our prayers as well.

rattattoo

Post by rattattoo » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:31 pm

It is always sad to hear one when someone you know, even if only only peripherally, have a personal health crisis.
As others have said, I will keep you in my prayers.

And as others also said, you are not alone and suffering the effects of asbestos.
A good friend of mine had been exposed to asbestos in one of those situations that would never/ever occur to you.
He was the stage manager for one of the better known rock groups. Especially in their early days, the boys had played in a lot of old theaters... You know, like the Avalon... The ones with the old red or green velvet curtains? .... those curtains lined with asbestos as a fire prevention measure back in the 1920s that was crumbling into the dust by the 1970s? ...yeah. That.
He died 10 years ago, before even reaching age 60.