My ironic MRE horror story

For non-MRE, non-ration topics
rationtin440

Re: My ironic MRE horror story

Post by rationtin440 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:41 pm

It sometimes defies explanation how the U.S. Army does things, I know I was pretty amazed about the veterinary services since I assumed they handled sentry dogs or something. Here is a site which I found interesting http://vetopportunities.amedd.army.mil/ And for those of you who think that's weird, type "project star gate" or "remote viewing" into a search engine sometime.

cavguy

Post by cavguy » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:30 pm

UK Multi Climate Ration Muesli, I have had 2 of these that tasted "off". Never made me sick but I could def. tell something was up! I have also tasted multiple but cakes that made my tongue numb but never made me sick...

steve1989
eBay name: -

Post by steve1989 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:52 am

Hey Cavguy, I remember you tried to locate a Chocolate Nut Cake that was still edible and it was only a matter of actually having a fresh one without rancid nuts, which is the tricky part since most have varying degrees of rancidity by this point.

Most the time I had spoiled Rations I had em' on an empty stomach and I probably held the stuff down a little longer than I should have.

As for you making it out of that spoiled UK ORP Muesli and the Nut Cakes without anything other than some numb tongue, I say you have more of an Iron Stomach than I could ever hope for!

All this talk makes me want to locate some still fresh Nut Cakes once & for all!

Oh, and rationtin440, I will for sure buy something out that Reproduction Repro site and get a photo set or 2 on it because I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in stuff like that!

ladycplum78

Post by ladycplum78 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:07 am

steve1989 wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:06 pm
Oh man, rationtin440, that is an extremely rough kinda food poisoning you had from that Turkey Diced W/ Gravy! It's such an awful feeling getting sick from any food - but something like that with the meat & gravy.. oh my - that had to be painful!

I've gotten sick from various Rations over the years taste testing this stuff.

+Several relatively large bites of a 1991 Maple Nut Cake: (Rancid nuts) numbness and swelling of tongue and mucous membrane - slight stomach ache, slight diarrhea. ( Happened to me in mid-2010 )

+Half of a 1991 Chocolate Covered Brownie (Rancid nuts) a much more advanced condition of numb and swollen tongue and mucous membrane, this one was so bad that when I lifted my tongue for examination in mirror it shot large amount of saliva on mirror almost like a Spitting Cobra my mouth was a squirt gun. Then followed by a bad stomach ache, sweating, and diarrhea. (Happened a week later from the Maple Nut Cake I shoulda learned the first time.)

+UK Multi Climate Ration Muesli - This was an odd one only a 2010 DoP Dried milk doesn't hold up. It tasted slightly off but I didn't detect anything wrong past just a slight off flavor it didn't taste bad. God stomach ache, sweating, vomiting, then more sweating. Not a fun one I tell ya.

+ Just had a 1977 LRP Chicken Stew a couple months ago - seemed fine but it first gave me the sweats, I ended up throwing it up and it really was a shame. After getting it outta my system, I felt a little better but that night and the next day my muscles felt sore, I was weak, and a bit out of it. I had gotten the LRP for only $17 and they usually run for a bit more so thankfully I didn't have to spend a whole ton for it.

Stuff like that is almost embarrassing for me to admit because I like to think I know a thing or two about food storage and shelf-life integrity, and packaging.

Norton, I have one of those Tunas in this case of MCI's - will have to keep my eye on that one. May have grown teeth by this point so I better be careful! :shock: :lol:

Compiling pictures of these MCI's - only opened 2 of them so far, but I am excited to share the photos to you guys once I do. :)
Didn't you also eat a Ukranian ration that put you in the hospital? I thought that's what I'd read in the Financial Times interview with you.

Jared_St

Post by Jared_St » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:07 am

This is honestly why I'm only interested in the accessory packets to snatch the coffee, and *maybe* also the B-2 units as well if it's from a c-rat to eat. I barely trust MRE's from three years ago if I don't know how well they're stored because Florida isn't nice to stuff all the time heat wise.

I still can't believe the old case we had was 8 years old and boy did they not handle their time we'll either, and your story just enforces why I just don't like taking the risk even more now. (I still have that vomlette to send to Steve, but medicine always gets in the way)
Likes coffee, rations, and cheese. Will probably print things for coffee.

carlosflar

Post by carlosflar » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:27 pm

steve1989 wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:06 pm
DoP Dried milk doesn't hold up.
I still have at home some dried milk and condensed milk from a 2010 CR1M, the dried milk looks like sulfur, completely yellow and the condensed one is dark brown... I tried a bit thinking it could still be ok, it tasted good at first... At first only :?

Also, a good tip if you have a swolen can and want to open it anyway, do it under water, grab a buquet, fill it and pierce just slightly the can under the water, that will get all the gas out and all the squirts the can was going to make, but peacefully under the water... you dont want to get 20 year old canned tuna juice in your eyes... Imagine explaining that to the doctor :lol:
I have Spanish rations permanently, feel free to ask :!:
Interested in: International rations,medical items, emergency kits and other
YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/carlosflar

carlosflar

Post by carlosflar » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:31 pm

rationtin440 wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:41 pm
It sometimes defies explanation how the U.S. Army does things, I know I was pretty amazed about the veterinary services since I assumed they handled sentry dogs or something. Here is a site which I found interesting http://vetopportunities.amedd.army.mil/ And for those of you who think that's weird, type "project star gate" or "remote viewing" into a search engine sometime.
I guess it makes sense that a faulty ration or a past BBD ration is sent to the Vet Corps since it says that they have the BioMed research and those would be the guys to call for a analisis or a culture of any kind...
I have Spanish rations permanently, feel free to ask :!:
Interested in: International rations,medical items, emergency kits and other
YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/carlosflar