Missed members

For non-MRE, non-ration topics
rationtin440

Re: Missed members

Post by rationtin440 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:04 pm

The state police take highway safety pretty seriously here housil, and it sounds like yours do as well; I mean how long does it take to make sure the vehicle is clear of snow and if a person needs to clean it off they need to get out of bed earlier, just common sense. I for one sometimes criticize the way our police are here but they do have a point in this case, and if someone's laziness causes a hazard, well then the person should be held responsible.

Ruleryak
eBay name: ruleryak

Post by Ruleryak » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:50 pm

rationtin440 wrote:... I wanted to politely say, "um----hello this is new england, when has our weather ever made sense at this time of year!?" :roll:
Of course it's nonsense - can't just be HAARP. It's HAARP, run by the lizard people, working closely together with the grays and other aliens that infiltrated and secretly stopped 2012 from being the end of the world :mrgreen:

We've been having a really warm winter out here for the last few weeks actually - temps up into the 40s F. Then about a week ago it finally clicked back over to real winter again and it's been crazy-cold since.

ak70g2

Post by ak70g2 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:16 pm

rationtin440 wrote:I'm curious if you notice these issues where you are, or do people there seem to have more common sense?
Tin, to answer at your question, I should give you a primer in east european / ex-communist psychology. In the "old times", you have to wait, in average, 5 years on the list to get a car. Also, it cost a great amount of money (an Dacia 1300, romanian regular car, costs in 1988, 70.000 lei and my father monthly pay was 2500 lei, he was engineer, so figure out). Another fact was communist cars was almost all lower quality than western ones, so you have to take a great care of your car. Having a car and a house was the pinnacle of your life, if you're not in "nomenklatura".

So, caring for your car is deep carved in romanians/east europeans minds, it's almost a shame to have a untidy, not washed and not proper maintained car, even if is a old one. Old cars are considered members of family, with cherished memories of childhood holidays, provided by a solid and trusty car. :D
'cuz hunting ain't catch and release...

rationtin440

Post by rationtin440 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:03 am

Thanks for explaining it to me ak70g2, I wish people here in America did not take things for granted the way they do here, especially their freedom.

housil

Post by housil » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:15 am

ak70g2 wrote: In the "old times", you have to wait, in average, 5 years on the list to get a car.
The peoples of former, communistic, East-Germany had to wait up to 18 years to get their ordered 2 stroke engine "Trabant" car. :shock:

ak70g2

Post by ak70g2 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:35 am

Hey, Oli, import cars like german Trabant, Wartburg or Czech made Skodas were priced premium, even if communist, german engineering was above average! :D

housil

Post by housil » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:59 am

Even a palstic made car "Trabant" ?!
Nowadays "Dacia" belongs to the Volkswagen group and I guess they make pretty good cars. How was it back in iron fence days?

Today we have 11C° and the birds are singing...

ak70g2

Post by ak70g2 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:22 pm

The plastic Trabbi was a hit among persons with disabilities (you should know better), between 1982 and 1988 you can get a Trabant on special list, only for handicapped persons (they had some clever devices for driving only using hands).

Dacia belongs to Renault these days, quality was improved. Look for Logan or Duster in Germany. :D

Old Dacias were copy of Renault 12, simple cars, easy to fix by yourself, even on the side of the road. Many old Romanians miss those days, when you DIY your car, with affordable spare parts which allow you to make some modifications and, if don't worked, return the car to original configuration. :D

ak70g2

Post by ak70g2 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:44 pm

BTW, Treesuit is dead? I don't saw him from some time... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

jfko6
eBay name: jfk9

Post by jfko6 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:54 pm

Was curious about some members having interacted with them. Then found this post. I could make some jokes, but would never thought it was possible to feel a twinge of remorse over an online member within a forum.
The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country
American Legion Legionnaire