Let's talk binoculars

For non-MRE, non-ration topics
fdsman

Let's talk binoculars

Post by fdsman » Sat May 18, 2013 5:40 am

Until recently I never really viewed binoculars as a necessity to have in situations other than bird watching or sight seeing. This has changed however, and I began to look up different models of binoculars for purchase consideration.

I found the possibly still issued Steiner M22 7x50 binoculars:

But these are incredibly hard to find and when you find them, they're incredibly expensive.

I picked up a pair of Steiner Military B 7x50 binoculars which are essentially the same model minus the reflective laser coating and range finding reticule.

However, I recently scored a deal from an ebay seller who didn't know what they had, and received a somewhat damaged pair of M22s for $100 dollars.

The objective distance ring in the middle of the hinge has been broken off, but is included, and the eye pieces do not produce a sharp image when they are set to 0. On my other pair of Steiner 7x50s both eye pieces are set to 0 and are quite clear.

Might I also add that these were produced in 1990 and are marked "Made in W.Germany" :mrgreen:

Name_not_found

Re: Let's talk binoculars

Post by Name_not_found » Sat May 18, 2013 9:30 am

Lucky you thats a nice deal

mil binos are excellent and tough
Ration Reviews: USA, Australia, Canada, Japan, Italy, Germany, France, China, Spain, Russia, Lithuania
Wish List: Rations from anywhere I haven't reviewed yet!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnlQPi ... kQXu87uUCA

dirtbag

Post by dirtbag » Sat May 18, 2013 2:20 pm

Email Steiner, they might fix them for free...
Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO

fdsman

Post by fdsman » Sun May 19, 2013 3:44 am

Well this is pretty horrible, I was reading the limited warranty Steiner has on their binos and these are void because there's some engraving on the hinge.

housil

Post by housil » Sun May 19, 2013 9:16 am

I´m using an (East) German by Carl Zeiss Jena made one that was issued to the NVA:
DF 7x40

IR detecing disc with range measuring

IR detector

This one has a great night vision:

Regular view out of our house to a almost 3km far Hotel

view and distance

picture taken thru the ocular

My newest gadget is a digital NVG made by (gun manufacturer) Walther:

with IR

fdsman

Post by fdsman » Fri May 24, 2013 3:26 am

housil wrote:I´m using an (East) German by Carl Zeiss Jena made one that was issued to the NVA:
Those NVA binos are pretty sweet! Interesting to see what was made on the other side of wall, by Carl Zeiss no less.

Unfortunately I've ruled out having the Steiners repaired, for the cost it would simply be easier to buy a new pair.

I'm going to look around for a decent price on some Fujinon M22 Binoculars.

ak70g2

Post by ak70g2 » Fri May 24, 2013 5:17 am

I think I'll look for a pair of NVA binos for myself in the future. Looks pretty amazing. :mrgreen:
'cuz hunting ain't catch and release...

housil

Post by housil » Fri May 24, 2013 11:04 am

I got mine back when the Russian troops left East Germany and sold all their stuff "over the fence" for just DM250. Today the regular price is up to €600 :mrgreen:

Stef

Post by Stef » Sat May 25, 2013 8:56 am

housil wrote:I got mine back when the Russian troops left East Germany and sold all their stuff "over the fence" for just DM250. Today the regular price is up to €600 :mrgreen:
yep, I remember I bought a brand-new Russian night vision scope for only 15 euros at the same period (so bad I change it for a laptop PC later). A guy wanted to sell me a complete AA missile/radar truck for 1500 euros :roll:
In principio erat spamum

rationtin440

Post by rationtin440 » Sat May 25, 2013 8:35 pm

Awesome pics! I recall a piece of night vision gear from the eastern bloc during the cold war that alledgely had a nasty tendancy to leak radiation, and users were rumored to suffer severe headaches, sore throats, nausea, and severe eye damage from using them for long periods of time. Does anyone recall which night vision gear this was and where it was made? I recall something about it being banned from import into the U.S.