Gas masks and canteen lids

For non-MRE, non-ration topics
Stef

Gas masks and canteen lids

Post by Stef » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:19 am

Hi,
just a few silly questions about the NATO gas masks canteen adapters :
- are all the NATO (UK/US/DL...) canteen plugs and gasmask drinking straws compatible?

- I can't see any hole at the end of the drinking straw of my British S10 respirator. There's just plain looking cylinder with a kind of O-ring at the end, is the opening just unlocked when the straw tip is inserted into a special bottle cap?

- I've found on various Web pages that only the UK "pattern 90" bottle is compatible with the S10 straw, not the easier to find pattern 58. I've also seen a "Avon" bottle on eBay and a civil looking bottle used with a S10 ... HELP!! :?
In principio erat spamum

ak70g2

Re: Gas masks and canteen lids

Post by ak70g2 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:07 am

I have from Cracker an Dutch Avon Canteen, model KL-96, NSN 8125-99-173-8116. My camera is not at hand at the moment, but tomorrow I'll make pictures and post them here. What parts are you interested? The lid?
'cuz hunting ain't catch and release...

Stef

Post by Stef » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:36 am

Hi cousin,
yes the lid please!

In fact I've seen those canteens are made by an "Avon" company, like the s10 masks but I don't know if it's the same company.

I'd like to know if the lid has got a NBC pipe connector on top, like the newest US canteen lids.
In principio erat spamum

ak70g2

Post by ak70g2 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:41 am

Cousin, the lid have an detachable loop, with a kind of stud which is pressed in the middle of the lid and cover a hole. Inside the hole is a kid of valve (soupape), 5 mm diameter. But you'll see more in the pictures tomorrow. :)
'cuz hunting ain't catch and release...

rationtin440

Post by rationtin440 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:08 pm

Sounds better than trying to drink water when we had the old M-17A1 gas masks, where you had to go thru an un-masking procedure to drink because our canteens were not yet fitted with the adaptor caps. A very risky and stupid system if you ask me, almost as dumb as the rescusitation hoses we medics were issued to render mouth-to-mouth rescusitation to a blood agent casualty! :shock: If I recall correctly the procedure was pop the amyl nitrate pearl, insert it into casualty's eye lens, stick one end of hose into outlet on casualty's mask.....well rather than go further off-topic here, it was pretty ridiculous and not too practical compared with what they have now.

Stef

Post by Stef » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:43 am

HAHAHA, those crazy procedures :roll:
For us with our old WWII style ANP-51 the instruction was "you don't have to drink" :lol:
In principio erat spamum

Stef

Post by Stef » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:38 am

Update :
when pressed, the O-ring collapses into the cylinder body so I guess the canteen connector must have a 8-9mm ring or ridge that presses the o-ring and reveals some holes at the periphery of the inside cylinder :idea:

BTW, specially to the British members : do you know a safe way to swap the microphone socket and the filter socket if you're left handed and you've stupidly bought a "right handed" S10?
I don't think I'll have to use ever shoot while wearing that mask on but I'd just like to know. :mrgreen:
In principio erat spamum

sodjer

Post by sodjer » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:03 pm

hi stef, the90 pattern water bottle had the lid for using with the s10 gasperator,it looks very similar to the 58 pattern water bottle ,but the strap holding the lid on can be pulled out and you put the s10 straw in to it , and up turn your water bottle and drink. they where not popular in the british army as they always leaked ( you always knew somebody with a 90 patt. water bottle as their wb pouch was always wet :oops: :cry: )most old sweats did their damnedest to hold on to the better made osprey plastics 58 pattern water bottles davy

Stef

Post by Stef » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:58 pm

Hi Davy, thanks for the info.
Those British water bottles and their variants and accessories seem to be a rather fuzzy matter :lol:
"real"58/"commercial" 58/90/Osprey/...with issue quart/with Crusader quart/those that rattle/those that leak... waow! :shock:
So pattern 90 is OK for playing with my gas mask but not for running in the woods, OK I can better picture the thing, thanks!
In principio erat spamum

sodjer

Post by sodjer » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:57 pm

hi stef , all s10s issued to the british army are right handed because the sa 80 is designed only to be fired off the right shoulder