Gas masks and canteen lids

For non-MRE, non-ration topics
ak70g2

Re: Gas masks and canteen lids

Post by ak70g2 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:41 am

You're welcome, cousin. I have a stainless steel mug that fit exactly over the base of that canteen (many thanks to Cracker, again), I reccomend you to search for one, is much better than the aluminum ones.
'cuz hunting ain't catch and release...

Stef

Post by Stef » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:22 pm

Hi cousin,
so it's a stainless steel mug, fine. Here, only the US mugs are easily available (except from the *big-fat* French ones). Have you got a US mug? If yes, can you try if it goes well under the canteen please?
In principio erat spamum

ak70g2

Post by ak70g2 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:35 am

As usual, i'll make some pictures. :p

ak70g2

Post by ak70g2 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:44 am

The pictures:
Attachments
IMG_4320.JPG
IMG_4321.JPG
IMG_4318.JPG
IMG_4317.JPG

Stef

Post by Stef » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:14 am

Hi,
Thanks cousin, you're the best :D
Now I just have to keep an eye on the Bay and check if one of those cups is available amongst the US and British "crusader" mugs...

BTW, Cracker (for instance :wink: ) how would you call that cup in Dutch? Is "kantine cup" ok?
In principio erat spamum

ak70g2

Post by ak70g2 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:08 am

Ask him :p

Stef

Post by Stef » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:58 am

Hi,
I've seen a lot of Swiss M84 canteens (with a drinking straw plug!) for sale on the Bay, I've ordered one with its cup from a US seller (cheaper than the Swiss shops and super fast delivery).
The canteen's arrived this morning : the plastic, the style it's molded, it looks very "avonish" although I couldn't find any "Avon" marking on the bottle.
The big disappointment : the connectors are completely different! For those who are familiar with radio, it's just like trying to plug a BNC into a SO239 PL socket :roll:

Well Switzerland is not a NATO member, I'd like to try how it works with a US NBC canteen plug... :)
Attachments
100_0018.JPG
100_0016.JPG
In principio erat spamum

Rahere

Post by Rahere » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:32 am

Hi, sodjer, someone sold you a pup there - I knew the designer of the SA80 and handled the prototype during my TA PC course at the Warminster School of Infantry in 1978 (passed out top, then walked away from Special Forces as they wanted me to take over from someone the Command had just sold out to the IRA - he was right, we could have had the sort-of peace we now have). It was designed with a vertical eject, the cover plate design throws the ejected cartridge casing to one side or the other. Your armourer simply couldn't be bothered to get the correct cover in, or sometimes some WO decided it looked untidy on the Square, or thought that if some poor soul had to pick it up from your cold dead hand he's be a tad narked to find it chucking hot metal at him, and took the old view that as practice makes perfect, you'd get used to it. However, unlike the Number 4 (the WWII version of the SMLE) or SLR, which were designed that way, RM Major H designed it to be ergonomic - whence the bullpup retraction of the action into the stock, which previously only housed the return spring, the SA80 doubles back on itself, cutting weight and length, the old bugbear of the SLR. Just like the #4, it had a single fixed anchor - the SLR has two, the barrel and reload cylinder expand slightly differently throwing the rounds high in a firefight. And added a lot to its weight.
At this point, your logic returns: the S10 can switch sides, however the tool to unfasten the voice and cartridge mounts to reverse them is as scarce as hen's teeth - if you look at them, they share the same actual mount design, it's just that they're tightened up to the end of eternity (there being no point whatsoever in a gas mask where the key fittings are anything less than hermetically sealed) - iirc (this was 40 years ago) it was only issued to the REME engineer units who serviced the things and RE units who handle gases - including those used in training, usually CS Gas. It was done that way to stop squaddies loosening them and killing themselves as a result. You can just see the ends of the screw mounts, however in almost every case the things have welded solid (plastic means it can be shaped, and shapes itself to integrate with the mount, in this instance).
Which at the end of the day pretty much comes down to what you said, of course, in the field. If a left-handed soldier destroys his weapon and has to use someone else's, he's at a loss if everything's the wrong way round. Never underestimate the dumb stupidity of a squaddie who's short on sugar after surviving through adrenaline highs, he's quite capable of not realising the weapon's backwards.

sodjer

Post by sodjer » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:23 pm

Oh dear, I was torn between answering this or ignoring it,the person writing it has never fired the sa80.
I would donate money to any charity to see you doing it ,but it's easy to say if we can't see it done .
I didn't understand your take on the extraction/ ejection setup in both sa80 or the L1A1/FN FAL ,
that aside the cocking handle would take out your teeth using the sa80 on the left shoulder( there is probably evidence of this somewhere),
but hey, who am I to argue with a guy who was offer a top special forces job after a two week reserves course , davy