The Congressional Medal of Honor

For non-MRE, non-ration topics
mw509
inactive

The Congressional Medal of Honor

Post by mw509 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:13 am

http://www.medalofhonor.com/index.htm

A great site to read when you have some time. You can read the stories of those who recieved it such as this one.

ADAMS, LUCIAN

Rank and organization: Staff Sergeant, U.S. Army, 30th Infantry, 3d Infantry Division. Place and date: Near St. Die, France, 28 October 1944. Entered service at: Port Arthur, Tex. Birth: Port Arthur, Tex. G.O. No.: 20, 29 March 1945. Citation: For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at risk of life above and beyond the call of duty on 28 October 1944, near St. Die, France. When his company was stopped in its effort to drive through the Mortagne Forest to reopen the supply line to the isolated third battalion, S/Sgt. Adams braved the concentrated fire of machineguns in a lone assault on a force of German troops. Although his company had progressed less than 10 yards and had lost 3 killed and 6 wounded, S/Sgt. Adams charged forward dodging from tree to tree firing a borrowed BAR from the hip. Despite intense machinegun fire which the enemy directed at him and rifle grenades which struck the trees over his head showering him with broken twigs and branches, S/Sgt. Adams made his way to within 10 yards of the closest machinegun and killed the gunner with a hand grenade. An enemy soldier threw hand grenades at him from a position only 10 yards distant; however, S/Sgt. Adams dispatched him with a single burst of BAR fire. Charging into the vortex of the enemy fire, he killed another machinegunner at 15 yards range with a hand grenade and forced the surrender of 2 supporting infantrymen. Although the remainder of the German group concentrated the full force of its automatic weapons fire in a desperate effort to knock him out, he proceeded through the woods to find and exterminate 5 more of the enemy. Finally, when the third German machinegun opened up on him at a range of 20 yards, S/Sgt. Adams killed the gunner with BAR fire. In the course of the action, he personally killed 9 Germans, eliminated 3 enemy machineguns, vanquished a specialized force which was armed with automatic weapons and grenade launchers, cleared the woods of hostile elements, and reopened the severed supply lines to the assault companies of his battalion.

Incredible.

kyle

Post by kyle » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:11 pm

Cool,Thank's
Ye who live by the sword,get shot by We that don't!

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:03 pm

Amazing. This guy makes Rambo look like a kindergarden teacher. But he wasn't some puffed-up Hollywood actor, he was probably just a regular guy doing his best for his country.

DIRTYDAVE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:52 am

The best movie you can watch about WWI is an A & E Movie by the name of THE LOST BATALLION. It is the Saving Private Ryan of WWI movies. The lead role is played by shockingly enough...Ricky Shroeder...who does an unbelievable job playing this MOH recipient.

CHARLES WHITTLESEY
http://www.medalofhonor.com/CharlesWhittlesey.htm

Check out the movie link here:
THE LOST BATALLION
"THEY CALL ME DIRTY...DIRTYDAVE"

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:00 pm

Hey DirtyDave - glad to see you back in the forums!

I'm pretty sure I saw that movie back in 2001 when it was first released. But it's been a while so I'll have to check it out again.

DIRTYDAVE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:21 am

I thought I would take some time off and let you catch up to my posts kman, and you have surpassed mine. Time to buckle up and rip you a new one in here.
"THEY CALL ME DIRTY...DIRTYDAVE"

MreKampr

Hero

Post by MreKampr » Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:47 am

Damm..Thats one brave soldier!
The Stories of Audie Murphy(WWII) come to mind when i read this
From all accounts he was a hero / Turned actor as In:
"To hell and back" in which he acted this out on screen
Here's the link
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0048729/combined
Seems to be true..Enjoy!

DangerousDave

What about>>>

Post by DangerousDave » Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:38 pm

Gary Gordon and Randy Shughart. At least Slick Willy had enough testosterone left to do the right thing for those 2 guys. Last 2 Men to receive the Medal, to date. There's 1 Marine from the current war, that gave his life to save other Marines by covering a lit enemy grenade with his body. Look it up!

dirtbag

Post by dirtbag » Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:45 pm

I served on a us navy ship named for a Marine MOH holder from WWII,the USS Stein.They made em tough back then!
http://www.medalofhonor.com/TonyStein.htm

Roundeyesamurai

Post by Roundeyesamurai » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:31 pm

Dirtbag:

I'm distantly related to him.

DangerousDave:

One SFC Paul Smith (Army) has been nominated for the MOH, but I don't know if he's won it or not.