JOINT OPS ONLINE PC GAME

For non-MRE, non-ration topics
DIRTYDAVE

JOINT OPS ONLINE PC GAME

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:37 pm

Hello MRE friends! Back about one year ago I founded an online gaming squad by the name of OMEGA MEN or -OM- for short. I found kman's MRE site here and him and I got along well and I talked to him one day about playing an online military simulation by the name of Joint Ops. He was familiar with America's Army and was into the concept and so he went out and purchased the game. He joined my squad and we enjoyed many hours gaming together. It really is more than a game, it is a great way to really get to know people and have fun playing a military simulation. If you have never seen the game before you have to, to believe it. It is very realistic and gives you a chance to give some cyber AI a real dose of WHOOPASS! At any rate, the squad I founded was deactivated but recently I have been slowly getting it up and running again. I talked with kman about putting an ad here in the forum and he was for it. So, without further ado, I would like to invite each and everyone of you to take a look at the links below and see what you think. The only thing is that to partake in game play you have to have a broadband/cable connection. The game will not run on a dial up connection. You will also have to have a pretty good running PC and graphic card to handle the game as well. I would suggest atleat a 2GHZ P4 processor or AMD equivalent, a 128mb graphic card and as I said a high speed connection of some sort. I can write stuff here all night but I will let the links below speak for themselves. We also use the Teamspeak voice over internet chat program to communicate verbally as well as in game typing feature. If anyone is interested in joining in feel free to send me an email or send me your IM name so I can get you up and rolling. The games can be bought at Target, Wal-Mart, Best Buy or online such as Amazon.com for bargain prices. The cost of buying the two games together is around $40 brand new, but as I said you can probably get them for a heck of a price on ebay or amazom. Both games have to be purchased to play. The JO: Typhoon Rising is the main game and the JO: Escalation is the expansion pack to the main game.

Well, hope to see you in combat!

JOINT OPS: TYPHOON RISING
http://www.novalogic.com/games.asp?GameKey=JOTR

JOINT OPS: ESCALATION
http://www.novalogic.com/games.asp?GameKey=JOE
"THEY CALL ME DIRTY...DIRTYDAVE"

sgt mike rtd

Past

Post by sgt mike rtd » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:54 am

gday
J.O. is the past game mate . if you want some good gaming fun the game to play now is BF2 . i play a lot of this online now since i have retired. (dont sleep alot as you can tell). so grab the game and give it a shot , bet you will like it
cheers

DIRTYDAVE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:19 am

I don't like BF2, I tried it, too hard to kill people at this point. The mod community is working on fixing it, when that happens I may revisit it. I do like a lot of the vehicles, weapons and jets...JO could definitely learn from BF2. JO in my opinion, and I am sure you will disagree, just seems to "move" better and the perspective to me is a lot better. I am sure the next game from Novalogic will be a big leap from JO, and I am hoping that they will put in some artillery and air strike capabilities for starters.

I have never been a fan of the Battlefield franchise. I tried the 1942 and Vietnam games they put out and was very put off by them.

There just seems to be two factions, those who like Novalogic and those who like EA Games.

The fact remains...we have a JO squad we are working on builiding up, perhaps you could start a BF2 one?

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:39 pm

I gave the BF2 demo a try last month. It reminded me a lot of JO so that was ok. But I was frustrated with a few gameplay-related things - like how as I sniper, I could shoot an enemy in the head but he wouldn't die - it would always take two shots. Seemed pretty silly to me...

My personal *all-time* favorite game is America's Army. It may not have all the vehicles and weapons of JO and BF2, but for me, the gameplay is the best. Most of the game rounds are short and very intense.

And I love how the game trains you about friendly fire. In other games, either friendly fire is either turned off and you don't care if you accidently frag a teammate, or it's turned on and then it's not a big deal if you frag a teammate - it's just "oops...sorry...guess you'll have to respawn".

In AA, friendly fire has a lot more dire consequences - getting kicked out of the game and loss of honor (level) points chief among them. Man...it must have taken me about three months before I dared started using grenades after my first few took out a number of teammates.

DIRTYDAVE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:54 pm

Well, kman, you would love the permanent death option available in JO, but I have yet to see anyone dare to use it. If you are killed while playing a co-op game you are done for and cannot get back in until the game is over. I have thought about trying a game out like that. I mean realistically speaking, how many lives does one soldier have on a mission?

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:04 pm

The one death per game thing is great for making you play a lot smarter. But on games that last longer than 10 minutes, it can suck when you get killed real soon. Heck...even most of the 10 minute games I play (SF Hospital, Insurgent Camp) only last about 5-8 minutes.

sgt mike rtd

play both

Post by sgt mike rtd » Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:30 am

gday
i used to play in a team in j.o but it got to where everyone was giveing orders . you know the saying to many generals not enough grunt,s, so i ended up moveing over to bf2. i still have the odd game in j.o tho. main thing i like is the armor , mind you still cant work out in bf2 how a t80 can knock out a m1a1 with 2 hits.lol. i hope they fix that bug cos is a sod sometimes. and yes i know the compatition about e.a and novalogic.

DIRTYDAVE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:05 am

kman wrote:The one death per game thing is great for making you play a lot smarter. But on games that last longer than 10 minutes, it can suck when you get killed real soon. Heck...even most of the 10 minute games I play (SF Hospital, Insurgent Camp) only last about 5-8 minutes.
What game is that kman? I have never heard of it? Yes, that would be the problem with JO and permanent death. Most games go on for about one hour, in co-op mode and if someone got killed straight away, I doubt they would just sit back and wait... but you can come back into the game in spectator mode, which if you have never tried that before...it is very awesome! You will have to try it next time we play.

SentientTootsieRoll

Re: JOINT OPS ONLINE PC GAME

Post by SentientTootsieRoll » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:02 pm

Please forgive me for digging this old thread up, but I'm very surprised! This actually stands as my favorite game ever developed! I just happened to cross this thread while searching through older MRE reviews. Does anyone here by chance still play this game? I'm pretty surprised to see it mentioned here, it never gained as much traction as Battlefield, but I like Joint Ops a lot better.

The links OP posted no longer work, but you can still purchase it on Amazon for a reasonable price.

jonathonreid14

Re: JOINT OPS ONLINE PC GAME

Post by jonathonreid14 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:53 pm

SentientTootsieRoll wrote:Please forgive me for digging this old thread up, but I'm very surprised! This actually stands as my favorite game ever developed! I just happened to cross this thread while searching through older MRE reviews. Does anyone here by chance still play this game? I'm pretty surprised to see it mentioned here, it never gained as much traction as Battlefield, but I like Joint Ops a lot better.

The links OP posted no longer work, but you can still purchase it on Amazon for a reasonable price.
I know this game got a Steam release a few years back, and based on a quick perusal of the forum for it, it does seem to have a playerbase still.

You can get the game and the expansion for cheap too.