Do you carry a knife?

For non-MRE, non-ration topics
kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:31 pm

But it was just a wee knife...I didn't see the harm in bringing it with me... :-)

dermeister025

Post by dermeister025 » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:55 pm

Hey, if you want it back take a look at ebay... there's auctions there for hundreds of knives confiscated at airports! most of them aren't much more than nail files... i for one think the world is getting way too paranoid.
- Support Search & Rescue - Get Lost!! ;)

DIRTYDAVE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:38 pm

kman wrote:But it was just a wee knife...I didn't see the harm in bringing it with me... :-)
LOL! Too funny.
"THEY CALL ME DIRTY...DIRTYDAVE"

deanopilot

Post by deanopilot » Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:49 am

Yes, you can find most of your old knives, multi-tools and knitting needles on ebay as TSA has been running auctions on "lots". Type in "NTSA" for your search. Maybe you'll get your Victorinox back Kman.

I, too carry my Victorinox "signature", but the one with the built-in ball point pen. Because sometimes the pen is mightier then the nail file, for a lawyer anyway. http://www.victorinox.com/newsite/en/pr ... pid=0-6225
I also highly recommend a Colt Pony Pocketlite.

niklas

Post by niklas » Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:38 am

do i carry a knife? Oh yes, being a collector and all :D My present favourite is a Strider SmF that i carry daily, sometimes i rotate it with my BM mini skirmish or EKI cqc-7BW or EKI mini commander.

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:36 am

Thanks for the ebay tip, Deano. I just checked them out and it looks like they have some pretty good deals. Here's one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/15-NTSA-CONFISCATED ... dZViewItem

15 knives like the one they took from me for about $20 (right now). That makes it worth trying to take one with me and if they take it, no problem...I'm only $1 down and not $9.

thechip1

Post by thechip1 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:40 am

I have carried a pocket knife since I was 12, which sadly, was a long time ago! I have a few favorite daily carries that I rotate off and on. Today I have my Benchmade 710, which has a 4" half-serrated blade. I also really like my Al Mar SERE2000. That is a solid-feeling knife. At work, I usually carry an auto-opener, mostly cause I discovered that on a military base it's legal if you are DOD. For that, I have a Benchmade 9050 that I like. Recently, I have started to carry a second, smaller knife, because it just looks too odd to whip out a 4" blade at McDonald's so I can shorten a straw for one of my boy's drinks! The only problem is, I now have way too many things in my pockets (pen, knives, wallet, keys, etc.) DirtyDave would not approve.

OhCanada

Post by OhCanada » Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:08 pm

I wonder what you are all doing here if you don't concider yourself a survivalist or outdoors person.

If you are the above, especially a survivalist, you should always have at least one practical knife. I carry a plain edge Endura from Spyderco. Warning to Canadians, you can buy this knife all over Canada but I got one pending customs appeal that I bought used from the US. Buy one handed knives in Canada rather than across the border.

I use a knife almost everyday because I work in a warehouse. I'm the only knife guy there.

For the woods I have tried many knives but keep coming back to the Mora. I also own and enjoy the following: Opinel #8, Swiss Army knives by Victorinox, and Gerber multi-pliers.
He who thinks, is a step ahead.

BackwoodsPundit

Post by BackwoodsPundit » Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:57 pm

I carry a black mini CQB at almost all times (except when expessly prohibited, or when I feel they might confiscate it) - I can count the times I have left it at home on one hand in the last year. I use it every so often for cutting, it is handy to have right there and SHARP - almost too sharp, I have cut myself when carelessly pulling it out. :shock: :roll:

I also carry a leatherman for all the tools stuff because we are doing lots of projects at home, and also at work I need it every so often to fix a computer or take one apart.

In the pickup I keep a (not very expensive) Air Force survival knife and a survival hatchet, in my wife's minivan I have hidden a big leatherman with the locking wrench, since she refuses to carry a toolbox.

dermeister025

Post by dermeister025 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:02 pm

I bought 2 knives from the states, the becker and one mora, and a hatchet. Didn't have any trouble with customs on those, but they were ebay buys and the seller put them as "kitchen utensils" or "woodworking tools"
- Support Search & Rescue - Get Lost!! ;)