Lets share unique photos from wars

For non-MRE, non-ration topics
JediMindTricks

Lets share unique photos from wars

Post by JediMindTricks » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:40 pm

I'm sure you've all seen some truly unique & unusual photos from different wars. Lets share them, and any information you have about them. I understand every person is going to have a different understanding of "unique" and/or "unusual", just don't post generic photos.

A captured King Tiger II redeployed by American troops during the Battle of the Bulge '44

Tiger II or as they are known as King Tiger Tanks of the 503rd heavy tank battalion of the Wehrmacht are moving along the streets of Paris in the direction of Normandy. France, June 1944. The Schwere Panzer-Abteilung 503 Battalion is a German armored unit that was armed with heavy tanks Tiger I and Tiger II. The battalion was formed on April 6, 1942.

Image Image Image

JediMindTricks

Re: Lets share unique photos from wars

Post by JediMindTricks » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:00 pm

A German soldier rubs down massive shells for the 38 cm SK L/45, or "Langer Max" rapid firing railroad gun, ca. 1918. The Langer Max was originally designed as a battleship weapon, later mounted to armored rail cars, one of many types of railroad artillery used by both sides during the war. The Langer Max could fire a 750 kg (1,650 lb) high explosive projectile up to 34,200 m (37,400 yd).

American troops using a newly-developed acoustic locator, mounted on a wheeled platform. The large horns amplified distant sounds, monitored through headphones worn by a crew member, who could direct the platform to move and pinpoint distant enemy aircraft. Development of passive acoustic location accelerated during World War I, later surpassed by the development of radar in the 1940s

A German aviator's suit is equipped with electrically heated face mask, vest, and fur boots. Open cockpit flight meant pilots had to endure sub-freezing conditions

The original caption reads: "The Italian collapse in Venezia. The heedless flight of the Italians to the Tagliamento. Captured heavy and gigantic cannon in a village behind Udine. November 1917". Pictured is an Obice da 305/17, a huge Italian howitzer, one of fewer than 50 produced during the war.

Image Image Image

jfko6
eBay name: jfk9

Post by jfko6 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:12 pm

Some resource material for Navy aviation in Brooklyn.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1623
The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country
American Legion Legionnaire

ViperGTS

Post by ViperGTS » Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:41 am

a 1944 (Operation Frantic) B17 flight by the 15th AAC/AAF Gramps was temporarily attached to the 483rd BG because they were short an engineer (he was 301st BG) Gramps was on one of these. I found this pic/clipping in one of his old file boxes:

JediMindTricks

Post by JediMindTricks » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:09 pm

ViperGTS wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:41 am
a 1944 (Operation Frantic) B17 flight by the 15th AAC/AAF Gramps was temporarily attached to the 483rd BG because they were short an engineer (he was 301st BG) Gramps was on one of these. I found this pic/clipping in one of his old file boxes:
whoa, nice. That's a very special piece of history.
Image Image Image

cap174
eBay name: chapr_7219

Post by cap174 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:23 pm

Thought I'd post this, found with my great grandpa's stuff - to think if that bullet hit a couple inches higher I wouldn't exist :shock:
Attachments
machine_gun_that_saved_my_life.jpg
On an impossible mission to get every ration ever :D

Looking for Vintage, rare and just plain strange items