Books, movies, articles

For non-MRE, non-ration topics
jfko6
eBay name: jfk9

Re: Books, movies, articles

Post by jfko6 » Thu May 14, 2020 5:15 pm

Here’s one reference; they’re are others in the military videos which contains everything you could possible need that explains US Army military history. The best one pertaining to Dick Winters got removed, unfortunately. Band of Brothers: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5485
The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country
American Legion Legionnaire

Steph1997

Post by Steph1997 » Thu May 14, 2020 7:31 pm

jfko6 wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 5:15 pm
Here’s one reference; they’re are others in the military videos which contains everything you could possible need that explains US Army military history. The best one pertaining to Dick Winters got removed, unfortunately. Band of Brothers: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5485

There’s this movie called “how I unleashed world war 2” and it’s in polish but it’s so good. It’s this guys journey through Europe and how he thinks he’s the one who started the war it’s so funny. The polish name for it is "Jak Rozpetalem Druga Wojne Swiatowa"
check out my youtube @campcooper

Steph1997

Post by Steph1997 » Wed May 27, 2020 2:59 am

Anyone have any of these books? I really want to get them but not sure yet.
Attachments
F9751631-9567-4514-A82B-93F39E382AD3.png
33FCEA6B-DE36-49FE-B49D-2BEBB4D4A52E.png

Steph1997

Post by Steph1997 » Wed May 27, 2020 3:10 am

Also I just watched this movie and wow, be prepared to ball your eyes out. Or atleast get ready for the feels. Anyways

Summary: This guy Spielberg a polish jew, is a pianist. The movie takes place in 1940-1945 and it’s amazing movie about the battles one man faces through the war in Poland in the 1940’s. For all you rations loves there’s a part in the movie where he’s hiding in an attic and a german OFFICER, yea that’s right an officer, helps him out and gives him jelly and bread in wax paper and it just reminded me of the rations back then. This is also a true story so hope you get to watch it. It’s on Netflix btw.
Attachments
9BC62A13-A69B-4E38-9A79-E34924D02CCE.jpeg

rationtin440

Post by rationtin440 » Wed May 27, 2020 11:06 am

Sounds like a good movie Steph. And I'm guessing considerably more accurate than the last two WW2 related movies I've recently watched; "The Keep" and "The Philadelphia Experiment."

Steph1997

Post by Steph1997 » Wed May 27, 2020 1:45 pm

rationtin440 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:06 am
Sounds like a good movie Steph. And I'm guessing considerably more accurate than the last two WW2 related movies I've recently watched; "The Keep" and "The Philadelphia Experiment."
Yes! It’s seems to be to my knowledge. I like to look at uniforms to see how accurate some thinks are and they’re pretty spot on. Hope you get to watch it!

rareauldmealtimes

Post by rareauldmealtimes » Wed May 27, 2020 9:18 pm

ViperGTS wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 6:16 pm
the book is a walk through of easy company supposedly, but i have yet to get a copy to read
I know it's not ration related but just wanted to touch on those books with my experience. If anything I'd encourage anyone to read Beyond Band of Brothers the Dick Winter memoirs if you have already seen the series.

I've read a few of the easy company guy's stuff... I can't recommend it enough. First give a shot at the "Band of Brothers" book by Stephen Ambrose which is what the HBO series was based off on. After that, I'd recommend 100% even more to read Dick Winters Memoirs "Beyond band of Brothers" it's an absolutely incredible. It was really cool to see a glimpse of the man that Dick Winters was and gleam some insights. After that if you still haven't had enough go check out some of the other easy company guys books. I've read malarkey's and shifty powers memoirs which were both excellent. You're essentially with each other guy seeing the war from a completely different perspective. Malarkey a mortar man in easy from Oregon and Powers a rifle man from the west virginia (If I remember right). It's really cool to get an insight from each man and how they saw the war (their war). Babe and Wild Bill did a book together as did Compton that I haven't got to read yet. I always hear David Webster's is a unique one of the bunch in terms of tone and possibly even criticism. Only book on easy company I can't recommend is "A conversation with Major DickWinters: ..." it was a rehash of everything that had been done to a point without much more insight from Winters as the writer (Major Kingseed) writing the book seemed to speak to his relationship with Winters more than Winters spoke to us readers. Winters nailed it with his "Beyond Band of Brothers" book.

If your into other parts of the war "With the old breed" by Eugene sledge is probably another one of my favorite books speaking about the Pacific campaign through the eyes of a marine who later became a doctor and professor.

There are countless books about the war but the memoirs have always been my favorite.

rareauldmealtimes

Post by rareauldmealtimes » Wed May 27, 2020 9:22 pm

Steph1997 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 3:10 am
Also I just watched this movie and wow, be prepared to ball your eyes out. Or atleast get ready for the feels. Anyways

Summary: This guy Spielberg a polish jew, is a pianist. The movie takes place in 1940-1945 and it’s amazing movie about the battles one man faces through the war in Poland in the 1940’s. For all you rations loves there’s a part in the movie where he’s hiding in an attic and a german OFFICER, yea that’s right an officer, helps him out and gives him jelly and bread in wax paper and it just reminded me of the rations back then. This is also a true story so hope you get to watch it. It’s on Netflix btw.
I just watched that a few weeks ago for the firs time. It was a very cool movie that encapsulated the Warsaw ghetto situation from a completely different perspective. Man, At the end of the movie I wasn't sure what to feel!

ViperGTS

Post by ViperGTS » Wed May 27, 2020 11:03 pm

I'm not much of a reader, but i wish I was... there is lots that I want to know more about.. pops has pretty much a library of history books, but mostly civil war

Steph1997

Post by Steph1997 » Thu May 28, 2020 1:38 am

rareauldmealtimes wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 9:22 pm
Steph1997 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 3:10 am

I just watched that a few weeks ago for the firs time. It was a very cool movie that encapsulated the Warsaw ghetto situation from a completely different perspective. Man, At the end of the movie I wasn't sure what to feel!
Ugh yea the end!!! I honestly really enjoyed how they showed how not all Germans were bad.