Working through your stash

For non-MRE, non-ration topics
Kays1968
eBay name: htcx3

Working through your stash

Post by Kays1968 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:33 pm

So, when all of this coronashit started, I was just merrily pacing along, doing what I have been doing for more than a decade. I was working my way through X amount of US rations, and I had X amount of "special" and international rations set aside for special occasions. Then, the shit hit the fan. I was in the process of eating my way through a half a dozen rations, and I, like every other ration enthusiast, have a bin of extras. But, I immediately decided I was not going to open another ration until I knew we were in the clear. I swore to myself that I would only consume those half-used rations and my extras box to satisfy any ration craving I had. I have children, and they have families, and the stock I have to support my "interests" could easily keep my extended family well-fed for at least a few weeks in the event of an emergency.

Fast-forward to yesterday. I can't take it anymore. I have an overwhelming craving for a french nougat bar, so I break into one of my french rations. Yum. But, it got me to thinking, how are all of you doing during this "crisis"? We all have partially eaten rations and a bin full of extras. What are you guys doing with that? I still have a problem opening my closet and justifying the consumption of any item with an extended shelf life. On the other hand, we all need to be engaging in those things that interest us and keep us connected with a broader community. How do you all find a balance between the thing that interests you personally and the (same) interest that could save the people you love?

To sum it up, Prepping Vs. Hobby. Where do you stand? No judgments here, I am genuinely curious....

-Zed

Sailswish

Re: Working through your stash

Post by Sailswish » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:10 pm

I've cracked open a couple pouches of MRENation rations, but I prefer to eat fresh veggies and home cooked meals. As long as the "just in time" distribution system is chugging along, my ration collection is pretty safe. I've only bought some MH and Alpine Aire meals from REI which still have
pre-virus prices and now free shipping for any item no matter the cost since their brick and mortar stores are closed.

mikeoverhere
eBay name: mikeoverhere

Post by mikeoverhere » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:41 pm

I got so lazy the last half dozen orders of rations are kind of just sitting open in a pile on the floor in front of me. When I get bored and don't know what else to eat, I just grab something from the pile, whittling it down little by little. Best not to let the foreign rations get too old, they don't last as long (but they sure do taste better!)
Socrate's last words: "I drank what?"

housil

Post by housil » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:44 am

I brought some MREs to work, but at home I eat "regular" food as all groceries are open, so no need to use them

M R Eedy
eBay name: Creeder

Post by M R Eedy » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:55 am

I also have a bin of extras I did organize that bin but havent eaten much out of it I'm like u my instincts says its shelf stable save it I dont know I guess I weird

rareauldmealtimes

Post by rareauldmealtimes » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:10 am

Zed,

I feel like they are not mutually exclusive in my case and in probably many of our cases. They work both ways but having them "just in case" generally makes me limit how many I eat and "wins" versus just eating them as a regime. I'm just eating a few of my already loose rations here and there that are getting older. The fresh cases I bought back in Jan when I saw "something" was going to happen haven't been opened.... yet. Drives me nuts because it sure would be nice to eat some of the fresh rations. Plus I got some 2018's with a few of the new entrees... like that Creamy Spinach Fettuccine and the Pizza!

Great question... I'm craving some first strike bars!!!! Probably about to crack into my oldest case!

Kays1968
eBay name: htcx3

Post by Kays1968 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:43 pm

Coming out the other end of the crisis.... or maybe jumping the gun. I'm not a hoarder by nature, but when this whole thing started, I felt that the rations I have collected could have a higher purpose if this whole thing went sideways. So, I refrained from consuming my stash at the rate that I normally would. The past few weeks, however, I've been finding some limited opportunities available at reasonable prices, so I have made a few tentative purchases for new stock. That, in turn, has encouraged me to relax a bit and enjoy a few things from my stash.

It was strange for me to go from a hobby enthusiast to a prepper mentality. For years, my family and friends have tolerated my eccentricities with humor and no small amount of eye-rolling. Enter Covid, and those same family and friends are suggesting that the knowledge of the resource in my closet helped reassure them through the weeks of empty grocery shelves. So, what do I do with this information, this new understanding? I refuse to enter that realm of crazy occupied by my ex, with buried guns and drums of water. But I do think I have a better understanding of the value of having a resource that has the power to ease the stress in the people I love. That alone has value, and is worth analyzing and acting upon.

Moving forward, I suspect that I will probably boost my stock by a case or two of in-date US mre's. Just as a buffer. The internationals are always going to be mine (yum). I still have some room in the closet....

Has the pandemic changed the way any of you view this hobby? Have you thought about how your interests might change moving forward?

-Zed

jfko6
eBay name: jfk9

Post by jfko6 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:32 pm

You made some rational deductions of a serious matter and my own experience during this particular crisis admits it hasn’t been something to be taken lightly. As a longtime member, I posted several actual emergencies and documented them from Hurricane Sandy to local catastrophes. What I lived through I could never imagine. I survived 2 terrorist attacks; lived through 2 major blackouts, having had loss of power which meant no water; devastation of natural and man made resources — boats on the road. The swine flu hit the school right next to me and had the worst case in NYC. Luckily, I avoided that. I can go on. Had dealt with the Labor Dept., that’s all screwed up too at the present time. So it’s a matter of dealing with natural and practical matters. There are even some uneven matters here on the boards. Who is the sensible man?

One may call ration collecting a hobby. It is if it outlines the history and development. Given all rations its proper value, admittedly there is a chef behind every entree, so the difference between hobby and culinary line can be blurred. It acts upon the appetite and the taste of every enthusiast given over to rational desires. What then belongs to the preparation and safety as a practical matter?

Eliminating worry. It’s important to take sensible precautions. Your health takes precedence. The MRE is a sustenance item. Resourcefulness is indicative of a healthy mind.

John D. McCann’s, Build the Perfect Survival Kit, exacts the tools and resources necessary for survival. He provides years worth of expertise. And practical concepts. I examined the book a long time ago and can report it contains many practical and useful tips for daily use. I wrote a separate summary on it. Below is the most recent revised version of the book.

—JFK
The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country
American Legion Legionnaire