Quick Question on survival bars

For non-MRE, non-ration topics
amram

Quick Question on survival bars

Post by amram » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:34 am

Opinions on best high caloric (3600 or more) emergency survival bars? I am looking for the best bang for the buck for my bug out bag. Also taking weight into consideration.

Thanks!

- AMRAM

Sailswish

Re: Quick Question on survival bars

Post by Sailswish » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:39 am

Guava jelly paste sold in small bricks vacuumed sealed at the Latin grocer packs a caloric punch that is hard to match.

WorkmanMRE

Post by WorkmanMRE » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:58 pm

Datrex bars/lifeboat ration bars and first strike bars are great. Not that thirst provoking. Hit up MREMOUNTAIN.COM and ask them what they have in stock. Wats here on the forum runs it, hes a good guy.
Cheers,
WorkmanMRE

and
Animal Free MRE
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC39Adn ... subscriber
-----------------------------------------------------------

ViperGTS

Post by ViperGTS » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:28 pm

I was also going to say Datrex bars for calories vs weight. There may be some high carb drink mix powders out there too, which weigh nothing. Calories on the drink mixes would be mostly sugar (unless you grab some sort of protein shake powder), which you might not be looking for.
It seems that most countries have some type of miltary issue survival bars, where are you?

elandil

Post by elandil » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:01 pm

depends on your tastes and what you want.

Datrex is a nice bar, comes individually wrapped in 200kcal blocks inside the main packaging. Has a pleasant shortbread taste with a hint of coconut.

Mainstay has a pleasant lemony flavor, but does not individually wrap their blocks...so if you buy the 3600kcal it's gonna be one solid brick. So keep that in mind.

UST has a pleasant Apple-cinnamon bar, same as the mainstay it's a solid bar with lines denotating the servings. Bonus is you can find it at most Walmarts.

Millenium produces several flavors of 1200kcal bars, providing a lot of variety. Personally, I found them to be slightly bland, but that could just be my taste.

I normally keep Datrex as my survival bars, with a couple of 1200Kcal Mainstay or a block of UST just as a change of pace.

One thing I'm big on, and this is just my personal choice...I keep either some MRE's or FD Entrees in my bag along with the bars. Something about knowing at the end of the day I will have a hot meal makes eating those bars thru the day a lot more palatable....

jfko6
eBay name: jfk9

Post by jfko6 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:15 pm

I posted a review and link to these relatively new (Tac Bar) and innovative survival (energy) bars. This thread provides information about the product. You'll also get some survival supplies/gear with them in a handy carrying case for your car, truck, or boat.

Some members were ecstatic over how much time I saved them. You can find my post here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7175

Hope that helps.

JFK
viewforum.php?f=16
The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country
American Legion Legionnaire

amram

Post by amram » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:14 pm

Thanks for all the info guys!! It has helped a lot. I believe I check out the datrex to begin with. Sorry I didn't reply earlier, I had originally posted this under the Mre section and thought it had been deleted. Just now found it had been moved.

Thanks Again!

AM RAM

ViperGTS

Post by ViperGTS » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:56 am

You can grab a few protein powder type meal replacement packs at a store like GNC or online. One called Myoplex comes to mind and comes in individual packs, tastes pretty good. Im sure there are many others as well.