German Bund C-0467 PAPR Gas Mask blower, anyone have any info on this?

For non-MRE, non-ration topics
User avatar
fdsman
Posts: 681
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:30 pm
Location: United States

German Bund C-0467 PAPR Gas Mask blower, anyone have any info on this?

Post by fdsman » Sat May 08, 2021 5:04 pm

Ever since the pandemic started I've been increasingly interested in respiratory protection products, and went from having a surplus Drager M-65 (as a novelty and more of a joke than anything else), to proper Avon FM12 and 3M M40 respirators with P3 filters.

I recently saw a video from weaponsnstuff93 showing off a german PAPR unit and a link to an ebay store selling them, so I snapped one up since unlike the C420 PAPR in common use in the US, this uses one filter (which is more economical for a civilian) has a battery indicator built in, has a low battery alarm feature, can be used on vehicle or mains voltage with an adapter, and the seller adapted his sold models to run off of either 10x AA batteries, or a rechargable lithium battery, which is much much easier to come by than the BA-5800A/U batteries that the C420 uses.

Since I know we have bundeswehr buffs on this board like housil, I'm wondering if anyone here can post up more information about this piece of kit, because there isn't much about it that I can find on the English internet.
-73

User avatar
housil
Moderator
Posts: 5445
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:04 am
Location: Germany, Bavaria
Contact:

Re: German Bund C-0467 PAPR Gas Mask blower, anyone have any info on this?

Post by housil » Sun May 09, 2021 7:53 am

fdsman wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 5:04 pm

I recently saw a video from weaponsnstuff93 showing off a german PAPR unit and a link to an ebay store selling them,
Do you have a link to this?
The M65 mask got replaced by the M2000
abc-schutzmasken.jpg
Never heard of a PAPR unit in the German Army

User avatar
fdsman
Posts: 681
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:30 pm
Location: United States

Re: German Bund C-0467 PAPR Gas Mask blower, anyone have any info on this?

Post by fdsman » Sun May 09, 2021 2:51 pm

housil wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 7:53 am
fdsman wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 5:04 pm

I recently saw a video from weaponsnstuff93 showing off a german PAPR unit and a link to an ebay store selling them,
Do you have a link to this?
The M65 mask got replaced by the M2000

abc-schutzmasken.jpg

Never heard of a PAPR unit in the German Army
Sure do,

I can't really find much info on it in german, I think you'll have better luck than me: https://www.ebay.at/itm/Belueftungsgera ... 1632590514

PAPR is the english acronym for Powered Air Purifying Respirator, in laymens terms it's a blower.
-73

User avatar
housil
Moderator
Posts: 5445
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:04 am
Location: Germany, Bavaria
Contact:

Re: German Bund C-0467 PAPR Gas Mask blower, anyone have any info on this?

Post by housil » Sun May 09, 2021 3:33 pm

I sent a request to a QM Lieutenant Colonel I know in person if that thing is a real Bundeswehr item. I never saw, heard etc. of a PAPR unit in the German Bundeswehr.
To me it seems home made from a real Bundeswehr airpump for the NBC suit ("Zodiac") and a hose. But I let you know asap I got an answer.

User avatar
fdsman
Posts: 681
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:30 pm
Location: United States

Re: German Bund C-0467 PAPR Gas Mask blower, anyone have any info on this?

Post by fdsman » Sun May 09, 2021 5:38 pm

housil wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 3:33 pm
I sent a request to a QM Lieutenant Colonel I know in person if that thing is a real Bundeswehr item. I never saw, heard etc. of a PAPR unit in the German Bundeswehr.
To me it seems home made from a real Bundeswehr airpump for the NBC suit ("Zodiac") and a hose. But I let you know asap I got an answer.
Thanks it'll be great to get an official word on it.

Here are some photos of the markings on the unit I have:

Image
Image
Image
-73

User avatar
fdsman
Posts: 681
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:30 pm
Location: United States

Re: German Bund C-0467 PAPR Gas Mask blower, anyone have any info on this?

Post by fdsman » Sun May 09, 2021 7:06 pm

Also there is an original battery that was deliberately excluded from these auctions because there was some issue with them exploding:

Image
-73

User avatar
housil
Moderator
Posts: 5445
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:04 am
Location: Germany, Bavaria
Contact:

Re: German Bund C-0467 PAPR Gas Mask blower, anyone have any info on this?

Post by housil » Mon May 10, 2021 2:12 pm

OK, so here we go...

That device was used in the Bundeswehr for wounded soldiers that have to wear a NBC mask while they were decontaminated. But it was never an e.g. personal item or for field use.

cavguy
Posts: 1042
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:24 pm
Location: West Coast USA

Re: German Bund C-0467 PAPR Gas Mask blower, anyone have any info on this?

Post by cavguy » Mon May 10, 2021 3:28 pm

They also make a protective "body" bag which a NBC casualty can be placed - the US version uses the C420 PAPR.

https://www.blaschke-wien.com/products/ ... .0a2db.php

User avatar
fdsman
Posts: 681
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:30 pm
Location: United States

Re: German Bund C-0467 PAPR Gas Mask blower, anyone have any info on this?

Post by fdsman » Mon May 10, 2021 5:06 pm

housil wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 2:12 pm
OK, so here we go...

That device was used in the Bundeswehr for wounded soldiers that have to wear a NBC mask while they were decontaminated. But it was never an e.g. personal item or for field use.
Ah that makes sense, it would explain why I was able to find pictures like this in relation to the blower:

Image
-73

User avatar
fdsman
Posts: 681
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:30 pm
Location: United States

Re: German Bund C-0467 PAPR Gas Mask blower, anyone have any info on this?

Post by fdsman » Mon May 10, 2021 7:17 pm

cavguy wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 3:28 pm
They also make a protective "body" bag which a NBC casualty can be placed - the US version uses the C420 PAPR.

https://www.blaschke-wien.com/products/ ... .0a2db.php
That's pretty interesting, but that appears to be a an austrian product and it utilizes 3 filters instead of 1, they've got an NBC suit that goes with it and the extra hoses connect to the suit, presumably to both cool the user since I've heard NBC suits are extremely hot and sweaty, and also to ensure that any minor punctures or leaks won't affect the users ability to safely breathe, since air would be constantly flowing out of the suit pushing out any contaminents.
-73

Post Reply