Open Letter to Steve1989

For non-MRE, non-ration topics
Mackeson

Open Letter to Steve1989

Post by Mackeson » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:33 am

Hi Steve,

Just a few lines to express my appreciation for your ration reviews on You Tube. I find them informative and very entertaining. They often give me a darn good chuckle – apologies for laughing at your reaction to some of the nassssty stuff you see or eat! I really appreciate the effort you put into your vids and the quality definitely shows.

I do however have one complaint. You have prompted me to spend a lot of money on modern rations. Two cases (A+B) of 08 2020 US MRE’s from MRE Mountain and a Case B of 10 British ORP at £90 incl. post from Ebay. I have successfully resisted buying a Case A for £100….resist, resist.

I was really happy with MRE Mountain’s service. I got multi-case and New Year discount and free postage, making each case about £86 for me. The photo on their site had a 02 2020 date box, when I got them I see 08 2020 – nice!
I just got the ORPs yesterday and what a score! The photo showed PD 0217 but he had three cases available. I emailed him asking if they were all 0217 or later and he was encouraging but not specific (can’t blame him really). Anyway, got prompt delivery of mint case and PD 0717 :D

I have also got from Ebay 2x24 hour ARPOL Polish exp. 11 2019 which someone in Kent has got loads of at £19 a pop incl. post. That is very cheap looking at commercial sites and the food looks amazing. However, I did see your only review of a Polish 24 hour ration and it was not very encouraging!! I will instead dwell on your single meal Polish MRE review.

There are loads of French RCIR around this part of the world and sure enough, I have gone and bought 6 of the ones I like the look of for £14 each incl. post. If you buy a lot of 30 mixed, they come down to £8.50 ea. incl. post. They come direct from France and expire in 2021 or 2022, incredible. Amazingly cheap compared to commercial sites – there is an advantage living close to the source I guess.

I am really intrigued where sellers are getting these rations from. I am guessing ripped off from QM stores as certainly the ORP seller was based in Colchester – a large garrison town in the UK. The ORP cases are covered with admonitions from the Ministry of Defence ‘unauthorised trading is prohibited and may constitute an offence’. Ebay has upwards of 30 sellers though, I guess it is just too much effort for the authorities to act. It does prick my conscience a bit but as a 30 year tax payer not too much :). I also hope that humanitarian missions are not being robbed. The French ones – well I reckon that may be a factory source with them being almost brand new.

I have only eaten two of the US MREs so far (I am not going to collect I am going to eat). I have had a huge amount of pleasure in anticipating the opening; checking out the packets and tucking in. I even bought a meal tray! I am pretty sure I have picked up some of your phrases in describing them to family and friends as well.

Yours must be a really fun topic for video reviews with tastes and rations constantly changing. Plus the huge variety of menus which are produced. Where are those hidden caches of WW2 rations, eh?! There must be a hole in the forest with 10 crates stacked in waterproof cover, or an old locked outbuilding or something…

All the very best to you and yours, and keep up the excellent work!

Mack

Sailswish

Re: Open Letter to Steve1989

Post by Sailswish » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:52 pm

My letter goes to EmmyMadeinJapan who was my gateway drug to Steve1989. My friends think my behavior has become unmanageable and I see an intervention in the near future. :D

Smitty

Post by Smitty » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:12 pm

Casual viewage of Steve1989 videos are fun at first, and might even be safe in small doses, but then when you come down off that playlist and realize you need more, your family catches you watching Ol Man Dropbear, BTemple, gshultz, gundog, RC Gusto, AnimalFreeMRE, Delicious, Old Smokey, etc etc, and before you know it...you’re taking any ration you can buy. Mainlining parcels to your door like an addict...but I can stop any time, honest!

This is your brain on MREInfo.
All the best, Gents.

- I'm also making videos mainly for my own enjoyment, but hey, maybe you might want to check them out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4-9gp ... C1dSyPX0w/

BTemple
eBay name: btem9257

Post by BTemple » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:29 pm

My wife has absolutely zero interest in this hobby and thinks that I'm crazy to be eating military rations, especially vintage stuff. But that could just be because she's a healthcare professional.
She always shakes her head when a package from Steve, Drew78, donjuan_21, Delicious or a host of others shows up. Haha
In the immortal words of President Harrison Ford, Air Force One: Peace is not the absence of war... it is the presence of justice.

Cortexmelon

Post by Cortexmelon » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:50 pm

BTemple wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:29 pm
My wife has absolutely zero interest in this hobby and thinks that I'm crazy to be eating military rations, especially vintage stuff. But that could just be because she's a healthcare professional.
She always shakes her head when a package from Steve, Drew78, donjuan_21, Delicious or a host of others shows up. Haha
I actually got my girlfriend to start trying things out, but vintage is a no go (unless its an oatmeal cookie bar lol). She just had the southwest beef and black beans, and its now her favorite!

carlosflar

Post by carlosflar » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:57 pm

I started sharing with my girlfriend stuff from the rations like candy and desserts, then that went to trying the mains and we've ended up fighting over crackers XD her interests lay more in if it has tasty food or it doesn't XD
I have Spanish rations permanently, feel free to ask :!:
Interested in: International rations,medical items, emergency kits and other
YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/carlosflar

WorkmanMRE

Post by WorkmanMRE » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:13 pm

It all is intoxicating to me! The "adult happy meal" or aka army ration, is a favorite in our household! Anything that shows up in the mail (even onvelopes) the kids scream,
"ANIMAL FREE MRE!??? CAN WE OPEN IT DADDY? I WANT THE GUM!"

I also saw Steve1989 first, researching vegetarian shelf stable goods. His demeanor and style set right in. Hooked on the first video. Like the guy he is.....he perpetuated my addiction by sending me more rations....as did #Shawkey, #Gundog, #Elandil, #Art and Nina, #2brothers productions, #Multimagnum, #Blackdogbob ,#RogerM, #Wats6831, and many more forum members.
(A lot of people to mention....our channel wouldn't be what it is without you guys)
This community is the most honest and generous group of collecters/foodies Ive ever met! And all thanks to my buddy Steve for getting me hooked, and for introducing me to you all!

Cheers gang! Love from the Workman Family!
Ben, Candy, Lily, Penny, Robby
(Lincoln & Mickey, plus Bear the cat)
Cheers,
WorkmanMRE

and
Animal Free MRE
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC39Adn ... subscriber
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dekard

Post by Dekard » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:11 pm

Steve will be the downfall of us all. *shakes head*

rareauldmealtimes

Post by rareauldmealtimes » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:50 pm

Just want to chime in as well... as steve1989 got me too! Probably about a year ago.

I'm not exactly sure how it started but... I subbed to a few WWII history related channels and probably saw a video of his on the "Up Next" section. I think the first I saw was the C-Ration B Unit from WWII. I was amazed that those biscuits, coffee and candy were edible. It blew my mind that these little LITERAL time capsules exist and how much history is involved and that this guy eats it with his super "cool buddy" demeanor. I was amazed and then it now has lead to "I want to do that!" Then the next thing I know I watched all of his WWII related reviews, then all the rest of his videos. Now I patiently await to see a new video from steve1989. I re-watch his stuff all the time. That WWII Pilot Back Pad Kit was freaking amazing for sure, definitely one of my favorite episodes. Also, just being able to see how each country develops their own rations so differently is fascinating to me. Some of the food looks really great like the spanish, italian, french, UAE ones! While others looks sorta rough.

Today, I'm doing my own little reviews that I want to share with everyone while watching a whole slew of other reviewers. I really like RCGust, Btemple, Gschultz, Gundog and I'm finding more and more all the time. I never thought I would get into this but the history aspect has me captivated. It's definitely a unique hobby.

BTemple: My wife was first like "you wanna do what?" but after seeing my first video she just is like "Your such a dork" and thinks its kind of weird but cool. Just got one of those 1945 RCN Survival Rations and she was like "Wow, that thing is really neat"... I said: "Yeah, I'm going to try to eat it"... her face was hilarious...

Also gotta say... Im a new guy to this board, but have already seen that the mreinfo community is super cool. Hope to be around awhile. Thanks everyone.

Cheers!

BTemple
eBay name: btem9257

Post by BTemple » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:07 pm

rareauldmealtimes wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:50 pm
Just want to chime in as well... as steve1989 got me too! Probably about a year ago.

I'm not exactly sure how it started but... I subbed to a few WWII history related channels and probably saw a video of his on the "Up Next" section. I think the first I saw was the C-Ration B Unit from WWII. I was amazed that those biscuits, coffee and candy were edible. It blew my mind that these little LITERAL time capsules exist and how much history is involved and that this guy eats it with his super "cool buddy" demeanor. I was amazed and then it now has lead to "I want to do that!" Then the next thing I know I watched all of his WWII related reviews, then all the rest of his videos. Now I patiently await to see a new video from steve1989. I re-watch his stuff all the time. That WWII Pilot Back Pad Kit was freaking amazing for sure, definitely one of my favorite episodes. Also, just being able to see how each country develops their own rations so differently is fascinating to me. Some of the food looks really great like the spanish, italian, french, UAE ones! While others looks sorta rough.

Today, I'm doing my own little reviews that I want to share with everyone while watching a whole slew of other reviewers. I really like RCGust, Btemple, Gschultz, Gundog and I'm finding more and more all the time. I never thought I would get into this but the history aspect has me captivated. It's definitely a unique hobby.

BTemple: My wife was first like "you wanna do what?" but after seeing my first video she just is like "Your such a dork" and thinks its kind of weird but cool. Just got one of those 1945 RCN Survival Rations and she was like "Wow, that thing is really neat"... I said: "Yeah, I'm going to try to eat it"... her face was hilarious...

Also gotta say... Im a new guy to this board, but have already seen that the mreinfo community is super cool. Hope to be around awhile. Thanks everyone.

Cheers!
I usually get "you throw out milk that's a day or two past the date but you'll eat 75 year old crackers!???" Hahaha
In the immortal words of President Harrison Ford, Air Force One: Peace is not the absence of war... it is the presence of justice.